197: 197 pokes out to the sides when full throttle

Hey guys

This is my first post here, even though I signed up some days ago. So, HI! :smiley:

I am a new and happy 197 owner, had it for a couple of weeks now. What a fun car!

I have some questions regarding the 197, and thought I could ask in this forum to see if this is something known for the 197 or if there is something else wrong and maybe you guys know what it is?

So the problem with my car is, when I go full throttle and accelerate, lets say from 80 kph and above, if there is a path in the asphalt/ground, the car pokes out to the sides. Like, the steering wheel starts to steer itself and I have to fight the wheel to keep it in the straight line. The car wont accelerate in a stable straight line on full throttle when there is a parth on the asphalt. With path, I mean something like this
WEB_Image%20Stellepute%20Buet%2070x50%20cm%20%20flere%20farger%201151766783.Jpeg

Like tracks where the tires roll. This is a bit exaggerated, but you get the idea. Curvy and not flat road. English isnt my native language so excuse me. Today when going full throttle, on a curvy roadsurface, intentionally to test this, I experienced for the first time that the car switched lanes because of this! So it went a lot to the side when going full throttle. Do you guys know what the problem could be? I dont beleive that the car pulls a lot to the side under full throttle isnt really ideal, its dangerous. However, when coming out of corners and going full throttle and anytime else, the car is like a dream to drive and very stable. This is the only problem I got with my car.

Any suggestions to what this could be? Thanks in advance

Ball joint mate or the fact that one wheel is spinning up but you're not noticing it.

I had my left side ball joint done because it was VERY bad. The car was amazingly balanced after that. The guy said that I'm lucky it didn't get any worse.

Hey guys. Thanks for answers, and I am answering late, so sorry. Found out it was just torque steer. I've driven lots of high powered cars, but all of them were RWD. Up to 600hp. This is the first FWD car with 200hp that I've driven and owned, so I didnt know how torque steer really looked and felt like. Car is all good and I've checked it. Its in mint condition mechanically. only 80 000km now :smiley:

I'm sorry but it isn't torque steer, especially at 80kph+.

The 197/200 doesn't have enough torque to induce torque steer, especially at those speeds. Especially due to the type of front hubs it has, it's just not possible.

Whatever is happening on your car is not torque steer.

Hi, when one of my hub carrier balljoints was very loose The car could change direction quite bad, mostly mid corner though, have it checked, When I put the car on a lift and tried to move the wheel vertically it was like at least half a centimeter loose, also the tarmac rails sensitivity depends on thr tyres you have, on the oem conti sc3 there was none in my new 197, when I changed to yokohamas the sidewall was so stiff that even the slightest rails made the car go where it wanted to, switched to conti sc5 later on and again all was fine, do investigate this further, this car is not so powerfull to torque steer at 80kmh under full acceleration.

I checked at the Renault dealer here in norway

Ball joint change here in Norway for my 197 comes in at 600£ including wheel alignement check at the end.

I am looking at how this part looks on the internet. And the genuin one from Rofag on ebay looks like this http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/z/4-UAAOxy1RZSYC6M/$(KGrHqFHJDkFJdd!i40!BSYC6MBR4!~~60_12.JPG

While other part stores show me a picture of this.

https://az768999.vo.msecnd.net/images/products/69/febi23996_635848435081500854/febi23996_large_0.jpg

This is the same part right? I am no mechanic, but maybe this second pic from the general part shop is only for illustration? Just so I dont get confused. Thinking about to order the ball joints from Rofag and just paying the renault dealer for the work and wheel alignment check.

I checked at the Renault dealer here in norway

Ball joint change here in Norway for my 197 comes in at 600£ including wheel alignement check at the end.

I am looking at how this part looks on the internet. And the genuin one from Rofag on ebay looks like this http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/z/4-UAAOxy1RZSYC6M/$(KGrHqFHJDkFJdd!i40!BSYC6MBR4!~~60_12.JPG

While other part stores show me a picture of this.

https://az768999.vo.msecnd.net/images/products/69/febi23996_635848435081500854/febi23996_large_0.jpg

This is the same part right? I am no mechanic, but maybe this second pic from the general part shop is only for illustration? Just so I dont get confused. Thinking about to order the ball joints from Rofag and just paying the renault dealer for the work and wheel alignment check.

That does not look like the correct part.

^thanks for answers.

Yea was looking at the 2nd link, and it didnt look like the one from Rofag on ebay. Thanks for confirming how it looks :smile: