197 Stage 1

catwalrus

Paid Member
Have been running my 197 for two years now and she has served me well. several track days and a recent trip to the Nurburgring as well as being a daily driver.
After returning from the ring I have a want to make the whole car a bit more focused I will still have to drive work but its 2 miles down the road so I can put up with missing some comfort!

So I have just pressed the button on what I am calling Stage 1

KTR pro cat back
Decat
KW V3 set
Adjustable Top Mounts (from Simone! top bloke)

she has just had a clutch kit and a few bushes and links to make sure its all in top order.
I have also been running an ITG panel filter, Goodridge brake lines, Motul brake fluid, EBC yellowstuff pads and yoko AD08's

Living five mins from Snetterton I have been looking forward to being able to see if i can dial the car in a bit more will let you know how I get on.

any thoughts on these bits and or suggestions for Stage 2 would be welcome

Attachments

• DN7A_9644HR.jpg
    DN7A_9644HR.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC03486.jpg
    DSC03486.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 112
Car looks good buddy, similar set up to mine, i got V1's with some simo topmounts.

Stage 2 would probably be A048/R888, remap, bigger brakes and some cams

Looking good...

As for big brakes I'd recommend a K-Sport 8 pot 356mm big brake kit under some 18's.... Shameless plug I know :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Shameless maybe but after a quick look about you have a very nice product there!
are the 18's necessary? If so will I have to mod anything to keep the genom correct?

Shameless maybe but after a quick look about you have a very nice product there!
are the 18's necessary? If so will I have to mod anything to keep the genom correct?

They need 18's as they won't fit under 17's. Geo would be fine, a few petiole have fitted 18's and the Raider comes with them as standard. Prob best to fit 40 profile tyres to avoid the up gearing but it wouldn't make that much difference.

I notice you are using Yellowstuff pads, what's your verdict. I'm on Redstuff which get mixed reviews on here but I can't really fault them. Good bite from cold and fantastic once warm with a nice solid pedal feel.

Yellow stuffs are all good they tend to survive about 4/5 track days the only issue i have with them is when using on the road the first stab on the brakes is surprisingly rubbish so have to get so temp in them.

It was awesome we had access to the full VLN loop which is rare.
the snow was fine until it started to melt!
The Clio managed 24 laps (300+ miles) and did not miss a beat

The conclusion

Hi All, so the first bit is done!
Ktec and Simo have been very helpfull and I recomend them to anyone.

The exhaust to fit was a breeze, handy little bits picked up from various threads like where to cut the pipe and where the diffuser clips are placed so you’re not digging in the dark. It had an instant big impression but I think the sound has matured as it has settled into a deeper bark.

The power gains ect? I am not sure as it may all be in my head but I am sure the torque curve higher up the revs is now more usable. Feels more on it when banging though the box.

The Suspension
Rears no problem undo the dampers jack it up the spring falls out new ones in no worries. The front end took allot more swearing and trapped fingers .
The problem was I tried to cheat, I had read that you could do it by removing all the links and it would drop out.
So the first attempt failed I was a bit defeated however 2nd try leg and hub off went much better.

Done a little bit of set up tweaking ride height but should get it dialled in at Bedford at the end of the month.

Both mods I think have added to the car without too much compromise she now has the voice she deserved and the ride with the stock settings is better overall and when wound up a bit make it feel very chuck able.
The camber is a must for any one doing track from what I have felt from the road .The feel change is tricky to describe sort of more precise on turn in and then just feels hooked up mid corner

However all this has just encouraged me so...
I want to go hill climbing with it. I have an MSA national B so a few little mods to bring it up to spec and I am ready.
A roll cage seems to be optional but I think its better safe than sorry
So anyone running caged as a daily driver? Recommendation’s etc. Very Welcome

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 52
:thumbup:

Similar to what I'd like to start doing with mine, likewise a daily but only a few miles to work. Might annoy the neighbours with the exhaust I want though :smiley:

I know what you mean but if you creep it out its not too bad.
My neighbours are cool though first thing I did when I moved in was have 60 tonnes of dirt dropped in the back yard for jumps they think I am a bit nuts!

i wish i didnt have the silly small top mounts so i can dial in some neg camber

:worried: