197: 200bhp isn't enough.....

Said it before, 200bhp isn't enough. Single most disappointing thing about my clio along with the cost to get more power....Never owned a car that I would have to put £4000 or half its value to get 50bhp!!!!
Can you imagine how sort after these cars would have been if they came with the megane engine (175dci or 225bhp) STANDARD. For just £1500 stage 2, you'd be looking at a giant killer, just short of 300 bhp animal.....Or even more scary 400nm diesel torque monster that did 40mpg.

Without over cooking it, the clio would be up there with the E30 M3 has one of the best cars ever made.

Last edited:
Surely they could of down powered the megane 225 engine to like 200bhp?
Shame really, oh well let's see what the next clio brings!!!

Since you put it like that.......yes it would of been sought after!

If that was the case.....imagine how quick the megane would have been made!!

People buy the clio because it's such a great drivers car and I think the N/A engine is part of that formula, start bolting a turbo on and you make the car less desirable to true driving enthusiasts.

Still, if they could design a turbo with minimal lag then they'd be onto a winner

The main reason I chose the 200 over the Meg 250 was NA. The R26 is only about 100kg heavier, but benefits from the LSD. Sounds like you should of bought one of those!

perhaps your looking at it the wrong way......

reduce the 1240kg kerb weight......

i never found mine "lacking" in ooomph today

Why are blokes never happy with what they have ?!? :wink: lol

'Cause we are ... well, you've said it yourself :smile: :smile:

Know the feeling. Came across a pall of mine who lives in the same town as myself. He's driving a Clio mkI 16V, bored to 2.0L, complete decat group N exhaust, DIY cold air feed + K&N panel filter and full custom remap by Fastchip. edit: forgot to mention: he also has a short shifter installed although no extra ponies to gain with this...
Pushes out 160+ on the cranck. Was able to keep up with him (went upto ~106 mph) but not enough juice left in the 200 for overtaking...

Last edited:
Also 10 grand+ more expensive plus double the insurance!!!!!

not really, r26's are getting quite cheap now ... im guessing ur quite young for ur insurance to double, in the long term ur best of paying double ur insurance on a megane than spending big cash on a clio to get to the same power as a megane... plus if u tell the insurance company of all ur mods ur be basically paying megane insurance anyways, thats my logic behind it

That's why I sold my 200 for a astra vxr because there was no way you can tune the 200 plus I also wanted to keep the car for a while so when I get bored with it I can tune it.