3rd gear fault

:confused1: spoke to renault customer services today as my R27 has developed a crunch when going into 3rd gear. The car is an 07 plate with 21k on the clock, they say its not a common fault but its not unheard of :tongueout:inky:. Renault UK have booked it in with my local dealer later this month and waived the diagnostic fee, does anybody think they will just fob m off ?? Cheers in advance.

been plenty of gearboxes break - not only on here but also on ruk forum

theres plenty of info on this site :tongueout:anic:

Mine had new gearbox because it was crunching into 4th...that was 2 months and 1100 miles ago - now I'm pretty sure this one is on the way out too lol. Intermitently crunching into 2nd atm which is how it started last time.

Gearboxes made of butter.

My cup had just come out of warranty and was on 23k miles when mine started to crunch into 4th

Have a look at a thread i started back in February/March time. Renault UK were excellent in eventually sorting it out and it only cost me £58 - that was a new gearbox and clutch fitted.

I would make your case known on the renaultsport forum as well as they were not keen on the bad publicty my case highlighted.

Stick to your guns and make sure they know that you are using this forum and others like cliosport to highlight to potential owners that the gearbox is likely to crumble after 20k miles and demand a contribution from them with regards to getting it fixed - some on here seemed to believe i should have just accepted a renault contribution of 50%, then 75% and then 90% even though the car was out of warranty - I managed to get them to pay 95% costs.

Good luck

Mine was exactly same about 1.5 year ago crunch going in to 3rd started now and then from high rev changes from 2nd and got worse and worse must have been about 18k when it was replaced under warranty.

My car is a '56 plate (4 years and a couple of months old) and has 26k on the clock. Very ocassionally it will crunch slightly going into 3rd. The only times it seems to happen is if you are revving high into 3rd about 6000rpm and let off the throttle a little. Would you say thats the gearbox going or just the syncro being a little bit of a pain? It never does it changing down into 3rd and no other gears have ever crunched or been stiff to put in gear. 3rd, as I said, has never crucnched at low revs, the only times it has done it is when ive been at around 6000rpm

Quick update chaps, 2nd and 4th also becoming awkward. Renault have agreed to contribute towards a new gearbox £2090 is the total amount but its cost me £627.
Will be ready next week hopefully !

My car is a '56 plate (4 years and a couple of months old) and has 26k on the clock. Very ocassionally it will crunch slightly going into 3rd. The only times it seems to happen is if you are revving high into 3rd about 6000rpm and let off the throttle a little. Would you say thats the gearbox going or just the syncro being a little bit of a pain? It never does it changing down into 3rd and no other gears have ever crunched or been stiff to put in gear. 3rd, as I said, has never crucnched at low revs, the only times it has done it is when ive been at around 6000rpm

when the go it usually crunches all the time.....sounds like the synchro hub is getting weak there!

maybe beneficial to change the gearbox oil and check for metal

Mines been difficult doing into 2nd since I bought the car (in March) and I was waiting for it to clear as everything beds in. It's still there and feels like a syncromesh problem, but it's hard to say whether it's my lazy clutch leg or not!

Rich