advice needed - KTR Exhaust - rattling?

I had the K-Tec Racing cat back exhaust fitted to my RS197 a few months ago and I have noticed a new but quite annoying metallic rattle at low engine speeds that I think is coming from the exhaust!

I am also convinced that the exhaust has got noisier when driving and that I can 'smell' exhaust fumes as I am driving but that might just be psychological. The mpg has also dropped by about 10% over the past 300 miles!! :thumbdown:

Am I right to suspect a problem? Should I run the car down to the New Forest to have the guys at K-Tec check the car over?

Have a look at all the joins, header, cat etc. It maybe blowing somewhere. If the tips are touching the diffuser and either rattling the heatshield or something else that can be annoying but obviously that wouldn't effect the MPG

the funny noise you are hearing is called harmonising, if its not been fitted properly the noise will be the exhaust rubbing on something.

it will get louder over time because the resonators bed in with use of the car.

you wont smell exhaust fumes in the cabin

the MPG shouldnt have dropped at all, if anything you might have noticed a very very slight increase in MPG.

if i were you i would get the car up on some ramps somewhere and check that the exhaust is not blowing and it is fitted correctly.

i hope this helps

I'd suspect it's not been fitted correctly, get it on the ramp and just run your hands down the pipe (not actually touching) feeling for any blows, particularly check the areas where it's clamped.

If ktec fitted it then you should have a labour warranty, otherwise must be a joint blowing, I can't imagine how a leaky pipe would drop mpg by that much.

it could have dropped the past 300 miles due to it getting colder and the exhaust getting louder could be because its bedding in, the rattling as everyone else as said get it up on the ramps and have a look.

it could have dropped the past 300 miles due to it getting colder and the exhaust getting louder could be because its bedding in, the rattling as everyone else as said get it up on the ramps and have a look.

Mpg increases when it's colder. Not decrease

i assumed it decreased as denser air thus added more fuel to the combustion.