Alfa Mito Cloverleaf 170 multiair turbo

just got a price list 17,895 OTR with extras your looking at 20k

the interior is nice, make the clio look shabby to say the least.

It's expensive becuase it's not the Mito, it's the new 147, so Alfa's equivalent to the Golf!!
Looks awesome, but wouldn't touch one with a bargepole until they sort out their relaibility and customer service issues lol!

It's expensive becuase it's not the Mito, it's the new 147, so Alfa's equivalent to the Golf!!
Looks awesome, but wouldn't touch one with a bargepole until they sort out their relaibility and customer service issues lol!

Now that's really wrong :biggrin: the MiTo is based on the platform of the Grande Punto with several modifications. It's in the class with Fiat GP, VW Polo,...etc. but Alfa being a premium mark the MiTo is more in the class of the new Mini. It's a fair bit bigger thou. Alfa wants to be a premium brand but obviously isn't (build quality, no more Cuore Sportivo, to few models, no premium service etc. / if you'd look at it's heritage then yes but the market makes up it's own rules so for the time being I personally would say Alfa isn't in the premium segment but wants to be especially with it's prices). So in conslusion it's an expensive Grande Punto for people with special taste who want a really unique and not very common car.

Obviously the MiTo has some special things that make it "better" than the GP - who would buy one if it hadn't? It has a lower suspension, reworked 1.4T-Jet engines (worse than in FIATs imho because they lifted the torque-curve a fair bit so the engine would feel more sporty but that's really a huge no-no in turbocharged engines with such small turbos), fancy interior (many colour combinations), reworked steering which had problems but they sorted that out, DNA (basically 3-stage ESP/ASR/Engine management settings for different weather and use of the car),...

The QV version will have an adaptive suspension and Multiair - probably one of the biggest steps forward in petrol engines since VTEC? VVT? It eliminates the t/b setup and the intake valves can be opened/closed via ECU at almost any given time. This results in a large powerband, no losses from the t/b, no intake cam, great adaptivity throughout the revs and different climates.

The only "problem" of Multiair (I read this on an IT AR-owner forum) that the engine doesn't rev above 6k rpm because the Multiair setup is driven by the exhaust cam. Really a shame because Alfas always had revy engines.

Dunno but the only MiTo that I like is in this combination
mitoqverdelatodx.jpg

A "normal" MiTo is to high for a sportcar and apart from Alfas agressive styling on the 159 the front looks "scared".

Here's another special edition of the MiTo (for/by Maserati)
1088510.jpg

It's really a shame they put the MiTo GTA project on hold :001_unsure: tweaked 1750TBi engine with 230-240hp and with really a great amount of torque deep down. The stock 1750TBi engine with 200hp has almost the ful amount of torque (320Nm iirc) already available at 1400rpm :w00t: this is due to the fact that the intake and exhaust valves overlap and some of the air/fuel mixture is "burned" infront of the turbo which then spins faster resulting in a fair amount of boost at low revs.

This is how it would look like :001_tt1:
n1147512464_30400042_120852.jpg

As for the MiTo Golf thingy - the Giulietta will be in the Golf-class. Here are some pics of a really loaded one.

alfa-romeo-giulietta-20.jpg

alfa-romeo-giulietta-18.jpg

alfa-romeo-giulietta-15.jpg

The Mito GTA is a car i was really looking forward to! i asked about it at a Alfa dealer and he said not much was happening but that was 4-5 months ago when i asked,

I hope it gets into the showrooms as it will be a great hit in the hothatch market tbh

Jay

The Mito GTA is a car i was really looking forward to! i asked about it at a Alfa dealer and he said not much was happening but that was 4-5 months ago when i asked,

I hope it gets into the showrooms as it will be a great hit in the hothatch market tbh

Jay

As far as FIAT is concerned the project is now on hold. If the Giulietta sells good and Alfa finally comes out of "red numbers" (dunno how you say it :worried:) maybe then they'll launch the MiTo GTA and finally make some progress with the future 166. If not who knows what's gonna happen to Alfa. FIAT may even sell it but imho that's never gonna happen althought VAG or any other mark with a little more money would surely take advantage of Alfas sport heritage and make Alfa as it should be - raw, sporty and fast. Not like now under FIAT :glare:

VAG or any other mark with a little more money would surely take advantage of Alfas sport heritage and make Alfa as it should be - raw, sporty and fast.

Last thing Alfa needs is VAG Ownership. Heart & Soul would be gone by then. We don´t need an "Italian Seat"...

fiat/alfa multi-air engines.....clever but bmw valvetronic was out first ie no throttle valve and variable valve opening = less pumping losses

Last thing Alfa needs is VAG Ownership. Heart & Soul would be gone by then. We don´t need an "Italian Seat"...

Afte owning 6-7 Alfas (from 33, 75, 155 to 156, GTV,....) I can tell that since FIAT took Alfa over the "heart & soul" is slowly disappearing from the brand. Years ago Alfa was more exclusive and really driver oriented. More than that it was genuinely fast and you didn't need to modify 80% of the car so that it was as fast or faster than the competition. New Alfas like the 159, MiTo and Giuliette are made to sell as many as possible. That wouldn't be bad if they weren't FIATs with a different "skin" (not 159). That in mind - the suspension is getting more "basic", the engines are the same as in a normal FIAT, the interior and outside of the car are really similar to a FIAT (again) and the brand was always something special - an outsider if you wish. It was something different to the plain and boring VWs, Renault,....

If you put aside the problems with the 156/147/GT/166 and older Alfas they are getting slower and more "common" from model to model - like VWs used to be :001_unsure:

You actually get more thrills from a Clio RS than from any Alfa nowadays. Not to mention that Renault who is building family cars, trucks,...is a more sporty brand with it's Renault Sport division in mind. I know the history of Alfa but the results of newer models are what they are.

If someone like VAG would get Alfa I imagine that it would do with it what FIAT isn't possible to do. VAG has every aspect covered so the only thing they would need is a through and through sport brand to compete with marks like BMW. VAG is trying to make something like this with Seat but tbh Seat simply isnt' that sporty (history). The funniest thing here is that Seat actually with the help of VW has faster cars than Alfa :001_unsure:

VAG is such a profit oriented company that they wouldn't make the mistake of "VWing" Alfa. They have Walter De Silva (145, 156, 147 :001_wub:smile: and with no pressure of selling so and so much Alfas to get profit they could make the brand more like it was - raw, sporty and without compromises. Have in mind what VAG can do - Bugatti, Phaeton,...etc. all cars that cost the company much more than they earn with them but they can afford it.

So if they would leave the design to the man that already made really great looking Alfas (not like the new ones :001_unsure:smile: and use their DSG, 2.0TFSI,...etc. and make it feel sporty and drive like that I personally think that is the essence of Cuore Sportivo and Alfa.

fiat/alfa multi-air engines.....clever but bmw valvetronic was out first ie no throttle valve and variable valve opening = less pumping losses

Yeah I know but Multiair works completely without an intake cam and the lift and duration of the intake valves can be adjusted how you wish at almost any given time.

Last edited:
That is too many if´s for me. Don´t believe that it happens anyway.

Personally I don´t like the new front design from Alfa. The old one looks much meaner.

I can only tell from my mothers Alfa Spider 2.4Jtdm, it´s far too heavy for such a small car, but the engine sounds lovely for an oilburner. Depriciation is a nightmare though...

Like I said some posts ago - imho FIAT will never give Alfa away. It'll probably make Alfa like Lancia until Alfa dies :thumbdown:

Our 159 1.9JTDm is really slow too. This platform is simply to heavy. That affects acceleration and mpg. 156 1.9Mjet 140hp was really a fast car and it consumed arround 6L. Our 159 was driven really gentle and it never went under 7,5L/100km :thumbdown: the handling is great and the built quality is lightyears ahead of 156/147/GT but the chassis is simply to heavy. Even the new 200hp 1.8TBi isn't powerful enough for decent acceleration (they're not bad) - for a 200hp car.

And yeah the depriciaton kills - Jan 2007 we bought our 1.9JTDm Disctintive with a few extras for around 30k € and sold it in Nov 2009 for less than 12k € :bored: and the worst par is this - on our used car market the price for our 159 was considered high :closedeyes:

Yeah I know but Multiair works completely without an intake cam and the lift and duration of the intake valves can be adjusted how you wish at almost any given time.

still has a camshaft - both the exhaust and inlet cam are on one - the inlet valves are opened by an hydraulic lifter between the cam and valve and the oil to this lifter is increased or decreased to alter the lift

i worked on deisel engines that had something similar quite a few years ago !

it's the gta that got me looking at it in the first place.. shame it's a none starter, i just want something that's got better build quality with RS fun and performance.. maybe the 2011 clio eh.. or the Audi A1.. if thats ever released!

still has a camshaft - both the exhaust and inlet cam are on one - the inlet valves are opened by an hydraulic lifter between the cam and valve and the oil to this lifter is increased or decreased to alter the lift!

Yeah I know m8. Read the release notes and watched the video how it works.

i worked on deisel engines that had something similar quite a few years ago !

:thumbup: could you tell some of the drawbacks of this setup? FIAT Powertrain is all about showing the benefits of this setup and there surely are some but noone seems to mention the disadvantages - like "no"-revving above 6k rpm , pump losses,..etc.

Yeah I know m8. Read the release notes and watched the video how it works.

:thumbup: could you tell some of the drawbacks of this setup? FIAT Powertrain is all about showing the benefits of this setup and there surely are some but noone seems to mention the disadvantages - like "no"-revving above 6k rpm , pump losses,..etc.

as you say - engine revs in "theory" would be limited but due to how it works you would not need to rev the nuts off it as the torque would be held over a far greater rev range

one of the main disadvantages i would say is the oil - any neglect in this area can lead to issues and of course any "new" system there is bound to be some relaibilty issues