Are cheap tyres the biggest false economy?

When I bought my R27 it had 3 Rotallas and 1 Contisport on. They were indescribably bad in the wet, braking was scary and any amount of power applied round a bend/roundabout would result in the front making a bee-line for the nearest curb. They had about 5mm of tread on as well, if they had 2mm they would be absolutely lethal.

I can't believe that if you were to change the air filter to an aftermarket one you must tell the insurance company, but if you are to put a set of these on you don't need to tell them.

I put some Hankook K110s on this week and they are AMAZING in comparison. Not only do they offer a load more grip in both wet and dry, but they are considerably more comfortable. I paid £67 a tyre and got them fitted, balanced and new valves for £25 in total!

Imagine what it will be like with a proper spec tyre.

Hankook will be loads better than what you have but something like this

BRIDGESTONE
BR RE070 90W

:smiley:

I have to agree though the vxr had budget tyres on when i picked it up and they were shocking

some would also say that the tyres you fitted are also "budget" :001_rolleyes:

but sometimes you can go too cheap!!!!

i for one dont like mis-matched tyres - its always better to have 4 same make tyres fitted than a different type on each corner - at a minimum i would except same tyres across the axle but different makes front and rear....but would plan on having them changed as soon as

Yes mate I totally agree. I had wanli tyres on and they actually felt dangerous if driving in rain, especially if there was some surface water. Bought some Goodyear tyres now and they are superb!

I can't believe that if you were to change the air filter to an aftermarket one you must tell the insurance company, but if you are to put a set of these on you don't need to tell them.

Thats great point you make there, never really thought about it like that.

Cheap tyres have their place but it's not on an hot hatch.

I have an alfa estate with 18" wheels on it, allways used good quality tyres but just before xmas i clipped a kerb and took a chunk out of a front tyre and ripped an hole in the rear (and both rims have a nick in them :bored:smile:.

With it being just before xmas and i knew i'd be buying a clio about now i thought i'd buy some budget tyres, 225 40x18's for £50 each fitted and balanced, great i thought, i had them both fitted to the rear to match.

They are noisey, hard and horrible, i dont drive this car like my trackday car but i've lost an hell of a lot of confidence in it when cornering, feels quite loose, should have had some part worns on there.

My mom has a clio 1.2 tce 57 reg, she has got budgets on hers and I had a drive in her car cause she thought there was something wrong because it slides everywhere, and holy god I drove it, not even fast and every junction I pulled out of the wheels just spun, every roundabout I had to go around like a snail, this was with budgets with about 5-6mm of tread, she is now ordering some continentals for her car, tyres and brakes are the the most important aspect on a car, and there probably the biggest aspect that people skimp on!

Conti what they came with conti they will have
I had 2hankooks on but never liked them personally
They back on now though as I don't drive it and it only goes 30 mph
Stupid wife:rofl:

Mismatched tyres on the same axle should be punishable by death. Retarded thing to do. Can unbalance the car so much.

As for budget tyres, they have their place...just not on a car that you expect to make progress in. So long as you respect the grip levels you have and drive well within, any tyre is 'safe'. If they weren't, they wouldn't be allowed to sell them.

do they still make re-moulds?

Would say the k110 isnt a bad tyre. Its a very good tyre for the price, personally think its as good as the Conti3. Dont think the conti is worth the extra cost but thts jsut me

^ They certainly do still make remoulds.

My Focus did have "Kormorans" on the rear, and was very tail happy, I honestly thought it was the car having more weight over the rear (being the more sought after 4dr version, lol), but now I have Dunlop winter tyres on it the car feels so much more secure. I would imagine tier 1 summer tyres would be even better in the wet.

Guys tyres I'll never buy cheap u my have the best pads and discs But what about the four bits off the car that are on the road they have too stop as well??????

^ They certainly do still make remoulds.

My Focus did have "Kormorans" on the rear, and was very tail happy, I honestly thought it was the car having more weight over the rear (being the more sought after 4dr version, lol), but now I have Dunlop winter tyres on it the car feels so much more secure. I would imagine tier 1 summer tyres would be even better in the wet.
Its Michelin tyres being tested, but this may surprise you a bit
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/winter-tyres-tested-in-the-wet-video-review/