Bigger (64mm) drive by wire throttle body

I'm looking at a thread in a spanish forum about putting a bigger throttle body in the F4R engine.

They are claiming a big power gain from this, and they change the stock 60 mm one to a 64 mm. The problem with this one is that it enlarges up to 70mm where it meets the plenum, and you have to machine it to get it to fit correctly.

Thay have tried the thottle body in the car and tell that it works fine, it's the same plug and you only have to enlarge a little bit the holes from the throttle body to bolt it to the plenum.

The part number is fron VW and is 078133062B and this cars use that one:

2000 Audi A4 2.8L Quattro V6 30V ATQ
2001 Audi A4 2.8L Quattro V6 30V ATQ
2000 Audi A4 2.8L V6 30V ATQ
2001 Audi A4 2.8L V6 30V ATQ
2003 Audi A4 3.0L Cabrio / Quattro AVK
2004 Audi A4 3.0L Cabrio / Quattro AVK
2002 Audi A4 3.0L Quattro V6 AVK
2003 Audi A4 3.0L Quattro V6 AVK
2004 Audi A4 3.0L Quattro V6 AVK
2005 Audi A4 3.0L Quattro V6 AVK
2002 Audi A4 3.0L V6 AVK
2003 Audi A4 3.0L V6 AVK
2004 Audi A4 3.0L V6 AVK
2000 Audi A6 2.8L Quattro V6 30V ATQ
2001 Audi A6 2.8L Quattro V6 30V ATQ
2000 Audi A6 2.8L V6 30V ATQ
2001 Audi A6 2.8L V6 30V ATQ
2002 Audi A6 3.0L Quattro V6 AVK
2003 Audi A6 3.0L Quattro V6 AVK
2004 Audi A6 3.0L Quattro V6 AVK
2002 Audi A6 3.0L V6 AVK
2003 Audi A6 3.0L V6 AVK
2004 Audi A6 3.0L V6 AVK

It should look like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-0...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Has anyone done something similar in their 197? I have to do a lot of research regarding this (I have 100+ pages of technical stuff) and if there's interest I would give you all the information you want, or I can gather.

Cheers

Last edited:
Not heard about this before but it sounds interesting if its simple plug and play! I would imagine it is capable of some serious air flow to supply the 3.0 audi engines!

just looked into this after reading this, there alot of vacuum pipe that look like they attach to this throttle body, which im sure the clio doesnt have, but ive just had a look on uk ebay, and theres an audi throttle body similar part no 068133062B or 06B188062B (the aution may have miss spelt the number) from and 1.8T audi without the vacuum nipples. what would be the size of this throttle body? looks similar but with out the vacuum nipples. would it be the same plug, you may know more than me.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A4-A6-PASSAT-1-8-TURBO-THROTTLE-BODY-068133062B_W0QQitemZ220551246975QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3359e0f47f

How big is yours kev? Cup racer ones use the Ph1 172 one, which is 60 mm, the same as the 197, or so I am told.

wow! That's a big one!

I've been reading a little bit more, and I can give you guys a little more info about this.

With this throttle body, we also can improve the flatspot that we have between 2000 and 3000 rpm, and we also have the possibility to improve it with the original one.

We can either, bore it to 64-65mm or polish the inlet and remove a little step of 1mm that it has on the edge, where it meets the hose that goes to the air filter. The problem boring it, is that we have to remove the electronic stuff to remove the shaft and the only person that did that messed up the throttle body.

I'm also investigating about bigget TB's, but I dont have any definite info yet, but this mod with an air filter, matched inlets, and an exhaust and remap could get very good results, I reckon.

Also, this not only applies to the 197, it could be done to the 172 ph2 and the 182, as they use the same TB.

Will get more info and, hopefully, a couple of pictures as soon as I can.

Cheers

PS: I'm not english, I am trying my best to explain it, but if you don't understand someting let me know :wink:

Another little update. Since the throttle body er are going to use is from VW i found out this thread with all the DBW TB's that work in the VW's and therefore, might work in our cars:

http://www.dubkorps.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2311

Another one. If you want to look in Ebay.de there are a lot of DBW TB's for audi/vw. The word for TB is Drosselklappe.

Last edited:
English is good mate!! Mine also has no step and its been knife balanced or some technical stuff, will try get a bit of info on it!!

needles to say I have no flatspot and instant power with no DBW delay!

This with cams, zorst, new ECU and an Oreca cup racer inlet manifold get circa 203, I expect a few more with the thermostat being fixed!

if this is the case that this VAG throttle body may fit the clio including electrical connections maybe there might be others that fit without all the vacuum nipples for vaucum pipes to attach to it, been looking on ebay and found a VAG 2.0l FSI throttle body, electrical conection looks similar shape (dont know about the actual inside) spacing holes similar and it hasnt got none of the vacuum pipes, aswel as its off 2008 model maybe it will fit, i suppose the only way of knowing is to buy one and try it, at £60-£70 mabe its worth a try.

ive had a little nose about, and found this.

audi20fsi.jpg

its an 2008 audi 2.0 fsi throttle body part no. 06F 133 062 G.

the plastic part of the electrical connector is the same shape as the clio sport one, but ive been unable to find diagrams/pics of the actual electrical pins inside the connector, and spacing of the mounting bolts.

ive seen pis of the 1.8T version and the plastic and the electrical pin lay out inside the connector are the same as the clio.

so if any one could get a pic of a 2.0 fsi throttle body connector and measurements of the space between mounting bolts would be helpful, and also the size of the throttle body (inside) to confirm that its bigger than the clio throttle body.

Thanks Ryan for the info :wink:

I am going to order in some point a throttle body and do a before and after dyno to see if there is any improvement and where. I don't see it happening soon tho, as I am making my own workshop and is costing me a lot of this --> $$$$

Also, be careful with what throttle body tou use, as there's a limit of 70 mm to bre out of the intake manifold, or so I'm told, and is not a plug & play item. You have to bore out the intake manifold and modify the throttle body a little bit to accept the bolt pattern of the original TB. We also have to take in account if the voltage of the TB is the same in both, as it could be different and it would not work, or worse if the pins are not in the same place we could mess up the ECU or any other electrical part of the engine. Please, remember this when you look at someting because I don't want to be responsible because of a misunderstanding of a serious issue with your car.

This is all the information I can gather right now, if I have any more news I'll let you know.

Cheers

Last edited:
I may be getting the step worked out of my original throttle body by a local machinist shop in a couple weeks, will post up any results.

i wouldnt be fitting any different throttle bodies until the wiring connections are checked to make sure they are compatable - you wouldnt want to spike the ecu :closedeyes:

A well respected motorsport engineer had this to say on the matter when I asked him about it:

Perfect way to muck up type approval and the point of a DBW system i.e. pedal position percentage = amount of delivered torque as a percentage of total

The standard body is fine and flows enough for 230bhp. If you go larger all you do is reduce the point at which effective WOT is reached!

Defo not worth bothering with!

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the difference between the original manifold and the Oreca one? How much sis you set it back?

Stumac1985, if I understood your quote good enough, what the engineer said is that it doesn't matter if you go bigger as the effective WOT is achieved with the original TB, so there's no need for a bigger TB as the original works fine, is that?

So, let's say you have the original one at a 100%, it would be the same that the bigger one at 70% because the rest of the components can't flow enough to cope with the new TB. And the rest of the pedal travel would be a waste because of that flow. So all you get is a placebo effect (do you guys use this term?) of the car going faster, but the only benefit you get is that you get to WOT faster and therefore, the impression of the car going faster.

That was a lot of thinking. I have other ones, but my mind is about to explode with all this thinking and translating at the same time in my mind.

People have said that the flatspot was gone with the new TB, so just because of that I think it's worth the effort to try one. Also, I think the only results we can believe are from a rolling road of before and after. And with that, we'll see if it's worth it or not.

Cheers