Brake caliper refurb and painting

Stephenvenning

Gold Member
When i got the car at the end of last year i obviously done a full service on the car before anything. I noticed that the inside of the disc was pitted and rusty and obviously the pad was making contact. I tried to replace pads but the pads had corroded into the caliper! The pins had seized in as well, stupid design! There was nothing for it but take the calipers off and do it properly.
IMG_0848.jpg
Pretty disgusting.....

When i got the calipers off i first had to get the pins out, these were a bugger as most people must know! So in the end i cut them and gave them a good hammering and with alot of swearing they finally came out :thumbup: Next i pulled the pistons out at the cost of my knuckles!!!

Using a lathe i turned up some nylon replacement pistons to put in place while i sand blasted the caliper to protect the bores.

Now for the paint!! I masked up all the holes and bores.

I primed them first using vht exhaust primer which seamed to work really well and then baked it at 100C for an hour.

IMG_0981.jpg

Some people said it would be alright to just use red hamerite but i thought it would look rubbish with the brush strokes (If your gonna do something, do it properly) I opted for vht caliper paint which was a good match to the brembo red i thought. I masked it up the same as before and gave it two light coats and one thick coat for a nice shine, then baked it the same as before.
IMG_0984.jpg

Now was the tricky bit and to get the brembo logos straight and square. I opted for some porsche brembo stickers in white. I used a ruler to make sure they were square, must have checked it about 5 times before sticking them down.

To stop the stickers coming off I gave a coat of vht clear coat. To make sure the lacquer didnt go "foggy" I kept the spray can in warm water so I got a nice even coat and "hey presto" it turned out really well.

IMG_0998.jpg

I bought some replacement seal kits from ebay and installed them (The old ones had perished completely) also some new pins and retaining spring plate with ferodo brake pads. They look like new!!!

There was a lip on the discs but they still has plenty of thickness so turned them down on the lathe again (benefit of being an engineer :thumbsup:smile:

Installing them was easy and i encountered no problems.

IMG_1003.jpg

Since doing them my braking has doubled in power, it took a while to get used to them! well worth doing it was getting dangerous before!

Thanks for reading, Steve.

A* for effort there mate well done.

You could make a small fortune the amount of people who want theirs done!

Cheers guys, after doing them i was tempted to buy some old calipers then refurb them and sell them on... maybe a summer project

Cheers guys, after doing them i was tempted to buy some old calipers then refurb them and sell them on... maybe a summer project

Do it, paint them black for me with silver Renaultsport logo and then I'll send mine back to you ready for you to refurb for the next guy on an exchange basis... How's that sound? I'm actually serious about it as well!!! A lad on the Megane forum does it with gear linkages to turn them into quickshifts; you pay him for the part plus a safety deposit and he sends you a modded one, you fit it and send your standard one back and he returns the safety deposit once he get yours back. Works a treat. :wink:

As Willis said, do it mate:wink:

Where are you based Stephen? Mine as not even close as bad as yours (I do strip them down every 6-7 months and clean etc) but they need spraying that's for sure something I don't have the skills to do if I'm honest.

F?ck off Jonesy, it was my idea!!! :smiley: :tongueout: :smiley:

Looks like you've got three customers already then infact!!!

Stephen, get an all-in price set for this mate as I think this could become pretty popular and be a nice little earner for you.

Last edited:
F?ck off Jonesy, it was my idea!!! :smiley: :tongueout: :smiley:

Looks like you've got three customers already then infact!!!

Stephen, get an all-in price set for this mate as I think this could become pretty popular and be a nice little earner for you.

i dont want black, i want red :tongueout: so nerrrr

It's up to who fits them and bleeds them to check they're in working order I'd say, but I know where you're coming from.

Maybe do Jonesy's first, just incase hahaha!!! :smiley: