Car aerial

Where can I get a decent small aerial that still gives good signal, this is because having the cup spoiler it hits the aerial, got the little plastic protector on spoiler but either wanted a decent bee sting type or a shark fin but still want a good signal not a crap one

Don't think you can. From what I've seen they all give poor reception.

Yes that's the thing, the standard one hits the cup spoiler when u open it, have to have a word where I got my stereo fitted see if they come up with summit

Yeah I've got the cup spoiler. All the short arial reports I've seen mentioning the stubby/bee sting/CTR ones all say poor reception.

Not fussed my self but you could try strip the OEM one down. Cut the end but keep the reception wire and wrap it double and use heat shrink to re wrap it and put some form of cap on.

Aerials are the length they are for a reason. Its all to to with the size of radio waves (distance between the peak and trough of the waves). That's why most aerials are similar lengths, anything shorter than standard will give poorer reception with it getting worse the shorter it is. The likes of BMW with the 'Shark fin' aerial actually has the aerial in the rear window with the one on the roof being for GPS (or so I've been told).

Paddy's right!
Chopped my oem one and the signal is almost dead! :wink:
But it still looks and fits better than the aftermarket ones.

I just fitted a bee sting style aerial from eBay for under £5.

I replaced this horrible chrome and black thing that a previous owner put on it.

I'll let you know at the weekend how it's affected the signal.

Last edited:
http://bit.ly/1fFxDvN

That's the one I fitted yesterday.

It JUST about stops short of hitting the spoiler when I open the tail gate. I can see a fraction of a mm of light between the two lol.

In terms of reception quality I can't say I've noticed a massive difference. It was a a bit crackly in the city, but it wasn't awful.