Car servicing annoys me

Stephenvenning

Gold Member
So I can change everything on my car with ease and regularly do. I've just changed oil filter, pollen, air, oil change, brake fluid change and new spark plugs. But I forgot about it needing a service at 36k as it was 38K on my previous car. Now I have to pay 250 quid for someone to do the same job as me, just so I can keep full service history, man modern car frustrate me at times!

Cambelt wont get replaced as it's being megged soon

Why would you need full service history if you are going to meg it? As the service history will relate to the n/a lump not the meg lump? Or are you going to try and sell your engine from the Clio when the meg conversion is done as full service history?

Yeah I'm gonna try and sell the 197 with service history. And the service doesn't just apply to the engine, it also covers brakes. I want full service history up to the conversion and after it to improve saleability in the future

Yeah I'm gonna try and sell the 197 with service history. And the service doesn't just apply to the engine, it also covers brakes. I want full service history up to the conversion and after it to improve saleability in the future

on such a car and conversion having the receipts for the parts etc will be more important than a stamped up service book...when I traded my 197 in it was the same price regardless of "stamped history" - only 3 via independent's and then the rest by me with an a4 folder stacked with receipts etc

on such a car and conversion having the receipts for the parts etc will be more important than a stamped up service book...when I traded my 197 in it was the same price regardless of "stamped history" - only 3 via independent's and then the rest by me with an a4 folder stacked with receipts etc

Thats good to know thanks, I've already got a stack of receipts

I don't understand what the issue is?!

You did the service at 36 instead of 38 and when it hits 38 you have to do the same again just to keep the book in line?

Just keep the receipts, its as good as a service history. It wouldn't bother me if I bought a car from a mechanic and had no "official" service history.

Totally agree with [MENTION=29]foxspeed[/MENTION] mate the receipts will far better and go a longer way than the stamped book. I did all my own servicing and all the other bits and bobs to my 172 and it went along way when selling it. :wink:

Stamps only count if it's done by a dealer, if you do it your self your receipts are stamps.

If you buy all the parts from a dealer and give them your reg it will be logged on the icm system as a cash customer so any dealer should be able to see what you have fitted.

Just remember that a full service SHOULD be more than fluid and filter changes. Joint greasing, ECU updates, brake checks, fault code reading, corrosion checks etc all form part of a proper full service.