Clio 197 Fuel Pump Problem

Hi all, as the title suggests I have suffered a weird issue with the fuel pump. My car has 23k and has been totally faultless until recently. The car simply wouldn't start, I phoned RAC and informed them I may need a tow as I think theres a fault with the fuel pump (it stopped buzzing pre ignition).
The RAC man checked to see if the pump was getting a signal via the contact terminal under the rear seat and it was. Before it got towed we decided to whack the underside of the fuel tank with a rubber mallet. Sounds daft but it work, he gave it a few taps while I was cranking and boom she started up.
It drove home fine and has been starting no problem today. I havent risked driving it though till monday so I can check potential costs with garages. s

I was wondering if forum members have experienced the same issue? Is the fuel pump may be faulty? I'm nervous about the costs. I love this car but it's disheartening to experience such a weird fault. How on earth did the mallet fix it?!

Appreciate any help guys! Cheers. :smile:

been a few fail....

hitting it might have made the contacts touch better or it might have just got stuck for some reason...

Count yourself lucky, mine went whilst driving, just packed up. So pulled over it wouldn't fire, so had to tow it home. Basically pump had failed. The part itself is £200, then you have to drop tank which involves dropping rear beam, removal of exhaust/brake lines etc etc....

Pain. Mines been faultless since though.

Not sure how petrol pumps work but if they're armature & coil type pumps then whacking it might have the same affect as whacking a starter motor?

Thanks for the info guys. I experienced the issue again, it seems to happen when I go over bumpy roads/speed bumps. It never happens while driving. When I return to the car after leavig it parked the fuel pump doesnt prime and it wot start. I rectified it by giving the bottom of the fuel tank a gentle whack with my hand and it starts no problem. It happened two more times with me needing to "fix" it the same way, via a slap to the tank lol. I cannot believe I have to do this to a 20k mile modern car:smile:
I have a feeling it's the electrical contacts, as Foxspeed suggested. If the pumps faulty already I may call Renault HQ, would it be worth it though?

Count yourself lucky, mine went whilst driving, just packed up. So pulled over it wouldn't fire, so had to tow it home. Basically pump had failed. The part itself is £200, then you have to drop tank which involves dropping rear beam, removal of exhaust/brake lines etc etc....

Pain. Mines been faultless since though.

I don't know where people keep getting this rear beam removal from, I'm sorry but it's utter rubbish.

Yes the brakelines, handbrake cables and centre section of the exhaust need removing but I can promise you the rear beam can remain in situe. The tank quite happily slips over and out with loads of room!

Personally, having done this job, I'd just take a cutter to the access panel and cut the hole bigger for access and just cover it back up with some plastic and silicone sealent.

Personally, having done this job, I'd just take a cutter to the access panel and cut the hole bigger for access and just cover it back up with some plastic and silicone sealent.

must admit thats the way i am thinking.....make a plate from some alli and just fix it over the top :001_rolleyes:

The fuel pump went on my 197 about a month after the lad bought it off me - exactly the same problem as you are showing.

It was £275 all in to get it replaced I think he said!

I don't know where people keep getting this rear beam removal from, I'm sorry but it's utter rubbish.

Yes the brakelines, handbrake cables and centre section of the exhaust need removing but I can promise you the rear beam can remain in situe. The tank quite happily slips over and out with loads of room!

it needs to be dropped if the exhaust is still in one piece and you don't want it cutting. There's not enough room to slide the system through. I was there its not rubbish. That's me personally doing the job......

The exhaust system can be removed in one piece by disconnecting the dampers and allowing the beam to droop down, assuming it's on a car ramp and high enough.

To physically unbolt the entire axle from the chassis is a waste of time.

Was on a two post lift, shocks unbolted. The beam wasnt totally removed, just slackened off an inch or two. There is no way a standard system is coming out in one piece

I may just cut the pitiful access hole to a bigger size. Then it's a piece of cake to do it myself. What's the safest way to cut the hole tools/method wise? Also is a new pump really £200+?! What is it? Some high flow Bosch job or something??!
In driving the car super light and only when i have to at the mo, worried the pump isn't providing good pressure. Slight paranoia it'll run lean if it's driven at high rpms. The garage I use is fully booked till next wednesday. Cars failed to start a few more times requiring a "tank slap" lol.

Last edited:
Had the exact same issue today took the back seats out have the pump a few taps with hammer whilst turning over and boom it started!!