Contemplating selling up!!

Really contemplating this move,

Im currently running the car for 10 miles a day on my local commute to work, all of which are town miles so its costing me a fortune.
Possible thinking of a Corsa VXR?! anyone done a move in the opposite direction?? whats insurance and tax like against the 197?

help much appreciated :clap:

shame as he hasnt run the clio yet :worried: sure a few members have made this move although in opposite direction

get the new evo mag its got a group test withe the vxr clio and a few other cars you may change your mind after reading it

Can't imagine any performance car getting decent mpg through town.

I do about 6-7 miles a day to and from a car park through town and manage 25mpg. It certainly isn't costing a bomb.

p.s could you live with yourself in a VXR? :tongueout:

yeah, on the group test front, the vxr came last!! behind a polo gti.... lol. and mini cooper s, amongst others.... and guess what came top.

tax and insurance will be about the same as the clio, but you'd look like a 12 yr old

Last edited by a moderator:
Swapping one hot hatch for another isn't going to save you any money. In fact it will cost you a lot more than a couple of quid in petrol every week.

TBH if you are only doing 5miles each way (10miles a day) spend £100 at Halfords, get a push bike and cycle, probably won't take you any longer.

I am guessing that the Evo group test everyone is referring to is this one??? http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9629

Seriously no, no, no, no and no.

You're in dream land if you think it'll be any cheaper to run. Get yourself a £500 run around polo or something, job done.

Last edited:
don't let us talk you out of it, if you go on the vxr forum, they'll tell you the exact opposite, lol. just take one for a test drive, and then let us know what you thought.
and my dad in a new s2000, that's a mid-life crisis!! lol.

I wouldn't bother imo. You've already got arguably the best small hot hatch on the market. I considered a corsa before I got my 197 and test drove one thoroughly. Most of my gripes were with the engine. It was too smooth and lacked any sort of punch, and made the car pretty monotonous to drive. Obviously there is the tuning aspect, but after hearing all the horror stories about them having chocolate pistons, that pretty much ruled it out for me.

thanks mbk thats the sort of reply I was hoping for... not some jumped up hype. Theres an artic edition at my local vauxhall dealer so may pop along just to give it a test drive. It might do something for me?! who knows. once again mbk cheers bud

rofl at clio200cup, so many people in this area having mid life crisis'. Seen 2 brand spanker rs focus, one of which was an rs500 ( which I must admit looked AWESOME) with oap's driving both, also an UR FF same again oap,

you need 1 for a wk mate really as a 10 min drive wont tell you nothing about them

...so many people in this area having mid life crisis'. Seen 2 brand spanker rs focus, one of which was an rs500 ( which I must admit looked AWESOME) with oap's driving both, also an UR FF same again oap,

could be the only ones to afford the insurance !

haha more than likely fox, and the actual cost of the RS500!!! wish I took pictures tbh, looked bloody brilliant in the flesh, dropped a 'cost' hint to him, he smiled and replied half a mortgage lol

Yeah I considered the VXR as well, before I bought the 200. It all comes down to personal taste, however looking back I cannot see why I ever even looked twice at the VXR.

Went round in circles, watching hundreds of videos, reading hundreds of reviews and kept coming round to the same conclusion. Which is; pound for pound you aren't going to get a better hot hatch than the Clio 200.

If, however, you're concerned with fuel economy - buy a Toyota Aygo, heard the new ones are getting 60mpg+, drive it like a saint and you're golden.

Performace cars love to drink, unfortunately...

Yeah I considered the VXR as well, before I bought the 200. It all comes down to personal taste, however looking back I cannot see why I ever even looked twice at the VXR.

Went round in circles, watching hundreds of videos, reading hundreds of reviews and kept coming round to the same conclusion. Which is; pound for pound you aren't going to get a better hot hatch than the Clio 200.

i did the same - looked at

vxr
ctr

then discovered the bargain that is the 197 :thumbup1: