200: Corsa VXR v Clio 200

Haha!

As gez said been there 6 times, don't really drive over 68mph in the uk with the bumpy crappy roads so wait to use the car properly in germany :smile:

Haha!

As gez said been there 6 times, don't really drive over 68mph in the uk with the bumpy crappy roads so wait to use the car properly in germany :smile:

I'm with you on this, the roads in the UK are either full of traffic or full of potholes! I'd love a go round the nurburgring, how much is it per lap?

€26 a lap I think it is. Around that anyway.

the more in bulk you buy, the cheaper it gets.

I assume the ticket/s are registered to you or your car - meaning you can't buy bulk and then share to make it cheaper?

Corsa has a slightly nicer interior, particularly the steering wheel.

Apart from that its all Clio.

Corsa has a slightly nicer interior, particularly the steering wheel.

Apart from that its all Clio.

It suprised me quite a bit. I thought the turbo would smash the N/a Clio. I guess it just peaks in the VXR and spools off back to 1.6 the higher up the revs you go.

Know anything about the new ST?

Definitely something wrong with that stock Corsa mate. It should have kept on the Clio's toes at least. Bad driver perhaps. I raced the standard Corsa and I was only slightly faster and the standard Corsas have about 189bhp. I expected to be slower to be honest.

In the time this video was taken (2009.) I did 14.6xET @ 1/4 miles in the race.

It suprised me quite a bit. I thought the turbo would smash the N/a Clio. I guess it just peaks in the VXR and spools off back to 1.6 the higher up the revs you go.

Well if you go on youtube, you can see the ST beat the 200t, in a straight line. It does have a mountune pack mind, but going by your recent 200t review, id say its quite a bit faster than a 197/200 in a line.

I'm sure I'm mentioned this in another one of your threads, they are the new gen, its not really comparable to 197/200, as its a generation ahead.

[MENTION=393]N0ddie[/MENTION] would be the best to comment about the fiesta, think he said it was 3 seconds quicker than his old 200 around knock hill!

3 seconds it's quite a bit on track.

What lol!?? Spools back off to just a 1.6??? Sorry but FLOL!!!

I did wonder what that meant but I assumed (dangerous) that he is comparing it to a turbo diesel where they seem to run out of puff when they get higher up the rev range.

I'm just waiting for [MENTION=876]Willis[/MENTION] to come along with his new purchase...

:wink: :smiley:

Youuuu rang m'lord!?! :smiley:

Well as much as I'm in awe in of the cool story on here, there goes the neighbourhood, I'm also quite amused by it. Neither car is particularly "fast" in a straight line and having just let go of an EP3 Type-R, I'd say that standard vs standard from a standing start one of those would get the better of both the VXR and the Clio. They get a bad rep for only have 3 lbFt of torque but in reality they're pretty sharp, that K20 engine is an absolute peach.

VXR vs Clio, standard on standard, I don't think there'd be much change either way from a standing start. Given the variables in driver and tolerances in engines you could win six and lose half a dozen. From a rolling start the VXR would get the better of the Clio, no doubt about that, throttle response is much better and of course it has Choo-Choo power so no waiting for the engine to wind itself up.

I'm not slating the Clio, I loved mine in standard form as well as modified and in the latter batsh!tcrazy form too. The VXR is a lot better car than I thought, that's why I ended up buying one after a test drive, it's got many things over the Clio just as the Clio has things over the VXR as well. Being in a privileged position to be able to throw an EP3 into the mix for comparison too, I can say that that also betters both the VXR and Clio in some ways.

So really there's no bad car, there's just bad reputations. Like the Clio having a gearbox made out of margarine, the VXR having a piston made out of chocolate and the EP3 having the torque output of tin opener. The one big thing the Clio has over the others is it's much more distinctive than it's shopping-spec model compared to the others, Vauxhall didn't do themselves any favours with the "Limited Edition" and neither really did Honda with the Type-S.

The Clio almost has an air of exclusivity about it, well it did, a few years ago before prices tumbled and this place turned into Race Wars, all we're missing from this thread now is Ja Rule and MONICAAA!!!

It'll be interesting to see how the VXR feels on track compared to my old Clio, on the road the difference between the two cars is negligible. Corsa has a lot more grip than I thought and the brakes are fantastic, it's also a nice place to sit. But the Clio does turn in like a fly on acid and it does have that bloodline that the VXR doesn't. Oh wait hang on, Vauxhall have a pretty good motorsport history too, as do Opel and isn't the current "TOCA" engine based on a twenty year old Vauxhall lump, hmmm...

Anyway, both good, two sides of the same coin.

Neither is as mental as a Meg'd 197 though. :wink:

Last edited:
What lol!?? Spools back off to just a 1.6??? Sorry but FLOL!!!

I did wonder what that meant but I assumed (dangerous) that he is comparing it to a turbo diesel where they seem to run out of puff when they get higher up the rev range.

Yes. Exactly Merde. Turbo cars do run out of puff.

22063-f3beeee26c802df88bb723698a31edf8_large.jpg

Perfect example. That torque drop, run out of puff.

Just gonna mention you guys so you can see @MikeLYR27 [MENTION=51574]cliovirgin[/MENTION]

Youuuu rang m'lord!?! :smiley:

Well as much as I'm in awe in of the cool story on here, there goes the neighbourhood, I'm also quite amused by it. Neither car is particularly "fast" in a straight line and having just let go of an EP3 Type-R, I'd say that standard vs standard from a standing start one of those would get the better of both the VXR and the Clio. They get a bad rep for only have 3 lbFt of torque but in reality they're pretty sharp, that K20 engine is an absolute peach.

VXR vs Clio, standard on standard, I don't think there'd be much change either way from a standing start. Given the variables in driver and tolerances in engines you could win six and lose half a dozen. From a rolling start the VXR would get the better of the Clio, no doubt about that, throttle response is much better and of course it has Choo-Choo power so no waiting for the engine to wind itself up.

I'm not slating the Clio, I loved mine in standard form as well as modified and in the latter batsh!tcrazy form too. The VXR is a lot better car than I thought, that's why I ended up buying one after a test drive, it's got many things over the Clio just as the Clio has things over the VXR as well. Being in a privileged position to be able to throw an EP3 into the mix for comparison too, I can say that that also betters both the VXR and Clio in some ways.

So really there's no bad car, there's just bad reputations. Like the Clio having a gearbox made out of margarine, the VXR having a piston made out of chocolate and the EP3 having the torque output of tin opener. The one big thing the Clio has over the others is it's much more distinctive than it's shopping-spec model compared to the others, Vauxhall didn't do themselves any favours with the "Limited Edition" and neither really did Honda with the Type-S.

The Clio almost has an air of exclusivity about it, well it did, a few years ago before prices tumbled and this place turned into Race Wars, all we're missing from this thread now is Ja Rule and MONICAAA!!!

It'll be interesting to see how the VXR feels on track compared to my old Clio, on the road the difference between the two cars is negligible. Corsa has a lot more grip than I thought and the brakes are fantastic, it's also a nice place to sit. But the Clio does turn in like a fly on acid and it does have that bloodline that the VXR doesn't. Oh wait hang on, Vauxhall have a pretty good motorsport history too, as do Opel and isn't the current "TOCA" engine based on a twenty year old Vauxhall lump, hmmm...

Anyway, both good, two sides of the same coin.

Neither is as mental as a Meg'd 197 though. :wink:

Put well.

How I felt when an ST flew past me this morning.

Chad-in-The-Fast-and-the-Furious-chad-lindberg-15194619-853-480.jpg

Attachments

• Chad-in-The-Fast-and-the-Furious-chad-lindberg-15194619-853-480.jpg
    Chad-in-The-Fast-and-the-Furious-chad-lindberg-15194619-853-480.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 19
Yes. Exactly Merde. Turbo cars do run out of puff.

22063-f3beeee26c802df88bb723698a31edf8_large.jpg

Perfect example. That torque drop, run out of puff.

Just gonna mention you guys so you can see @MikeLYR27 @cliovirgin

I can only presume I'm hallucinating as it looks to hold power from just above 4k rpm to what 7.3k rpm? Hardly running out of a "puff" when the Clio doesn't even start to make that kind of power until over 5k rpm. It looks like it'd be boring to drive, in comparison to the Meg engine which pulls ever more HP up till about 2-300 rpm from the limiter because the turbo has the air flow to support it.

I'm glad someone he's pointed that out, saves me saying it lol. it hardly runs out of puff, the torque peak is lower down the range. But it still holds constant up until 6500-7000rpm:

thats probably the the over boost mapped in that you see at the start.

The Meg does keep pulling right through the range up until the limiter, but it is a 2.0 bigger turbo: that's a different ball game, that's Mk2 Rs territory.

The corsas engine responds to tuning VERY well, much better increases on that engine over the Astra Z20LEH 2.0 turbo engine.

just by putting the K04 turbo off the Astra onto the corsa makes it a bit of an animal for a 'tiny turbo' car