Cup racer project.

it looks like one of those vw harlequin polos with the different colour panels!

what colour are you going for?

I went to rockingham the other week for the BTCC, picked up my new steering rack (£330) and a few brackets and bits.

I'd watched the qualifying and was wandering around the clio paddock, I've been after a damaged rear beam for a while so I could copy the bracket in the rear beam that holds the spherical bearing, the clios normally get through about three or four of these a weekend :smile:

FML were just putting Jake Giddings car back together and there was a beam on the floor next to their awning, I asked them if it was bent and if they were scrapping it? I explained what I was doing and he gave me the rear beam, I told him I was building it for track days.

One of the guys said it'll be fine for track days as it is, it should have 1.5 degrees negative camber static and this one had just over two degrees on the drivers side so they changed it for a new one.

You can buy the shims from renaultsport to alter the camber and I can get shims to make the other side match so it was a bit of a result, it's can't be that bad anyway :smile: he qualified in second for race one and third for race two with this beam on :smile:

1236254_10201378233530109_2006625490_n.jpg

Not updated this for a while and I had my camera with me down at the garage today so thought i'd post a bit more.

Collected the last piece of my bodywork puzzle yesterday from luke3 on here so fitted that (O/S skirt) to see what kind of dent I have to pull out.

newskirt018_zps21ec4a9e.jpg

It's a biggish one :smile: He bought the sill from eBay so it probably came off the same car.

These are the bearings and spacers that fit in the cup rear beam, no soft ride in these

061_zps64cd2396.jpg

Managed to find a LHD wiper linkage from France (eBay again) I'd looked at pics and spotted that the right hand drive bar is the same but upside down but the RHD one does not have the splines going through it so I needed a LHD one but I did find out the motors are the same but again upside down, so I just hunted out the linkage, cost 40 euros, a bit cheaper than Renaultsports £220 plus vat.

newskirt027_zps554c1b01.jpg

It fitted a treat, the motor swopped over no probs just need LHD wiper arms now, about £15 each from R-Sports.

newskirt024_zps018d56bb.jpg

Another eBay find from Italy was the scuttle panel, about £44 posted from Italy, R-Sports are £125 plus, I've trimmed it down myself from pics I took of cup cars for reference, needs the edges smoothing now and a clean up.

Bought a new Renaultsport gearbox mount and the two bushes for it, about £115 all in but I doubt the spider hanging off this will fit a megane box so I'll make one up (using the bushes) to fit the R26 box, should hold it tight.

newskirt035_zps24eaad82.jpg

Added a race number to the rear screen :smile:

newskirt033_zps5f901e50.jpg

Just want a LHD dash now to trim around the cage and then that's about it for road car parts, I need a pair of brackets under the car to hold the front of the diffuser but I think I've found a pair of those (eBay again) so the only other bits I need are all to be found through R-Sport in Wimbledon.

I can get bits through them easy now, either posted to myself of when 20/Ten do a bulk order, I just need to work more and save up a little :smile:

The other side of the scuttle panel trimmed out.

050_zps86cd06c2.jpg

A genuine window net from eBay.

058_zps969e10d0.jpg

I now have windup windows from a cup.

003_zpseb130da4.jpg

057_zps5a5d632b.jpg

Managed to find a ex cup wing for £12 and a rear bumper for 99p :smile:

054_zpsb9d65555.jpg

047_zpsf4ae12d8.jpg

and then a window demister, just need the ducting.

056_zpsbd009d9a.jpg

I nearly forgot, when I took off the old skirt I found a load of Austrian gravel in there, and some astro turf.

1545693_10202135447819993_1000743585_n.jpg

So now I have a little Austrian rock garden in my garage.

Have you thought about leaving all the panels as they are, don't respray one colour? Keeps its history and I think it looks cool :smiley:

This really is one of those "classic project threads".

Awesome work for such little outlay.

Love this project and looking forward to seeing it finished!

Good story with the rear beam as well, I've been looking to find one for ages! I've got some rear shims if you are interested btw. Need to check the values though

And lol for the Austrian gravel!

Rear bumper for 99p, epic ebaying there Wayne! Project seems to be coming along nicely. Fingers crossed you get your hands on an R26 engine/box/ECU easily :smile:

Cheers guys, I'm keen to keep on top of things, still bargain hunting.

Just took advantage of eBay's free listings to sell off some unwanted stuff (Alfa etc.) to get some more funds for parts, can't imagine the funds stopping in PayPal for long :smile: