Dale's Glacier White 200 cup

This protective coating on my rear discs from MTEC appears to have been a complete f****** waste of time/money :censored:

XgoviAB.jpg

jELiJmP.jpg

The fronts are perfectly fine so no idea what's happened! Quite annoyed though I've only had them fitted a few weeks.

I'm sure someone else on here had the same issue and got onto mtec. Can't recall what the outcome was but that's not right, especially if it's extra.

Reactions: Dystant
I'm sure someone else on here had the same issue and got onto mtec. Can't recall what the outcome was but that's not right, especially if it's extra.

Yeah going to send them an email later.

I mean I can sort it out fairly easily by painting over it myself, but as you said having paid extra it's definitely not right.

Will update here when they reply.

I've seen discs where the silver coating rusts but I have never seen anything like that. Looks like a severe case of road rash!

yeah typical for mtec..seen this before..there's a long thread about it on here..best thing is to order them plain and paint the hubs yourself..

yeah typical for mtec..seen this before..there's a long thread about it on here..best thing is to order them plain and paint the hubs yourself..

It's even more bizarre because the fronts are perfect, not a spot of rust on them...

Unfortunately - the MTEC rust is the least surprising news of all time Dale. I've seen this same post again and again.

If things run true I believe the next step is them palming you offf with some paint and expecting you to do yourself....

Fingers crossed you can buck the trend and get a worthwhile solution. Because doing yourself and even the 'reporting' the problem eats into YOUR time.

And chuck their paint in the bin and do the hubs with smooth Hammerite. You won't beat the finish or longevity.

Good luck buddy :smile:

That is crap Dale. Try the email complaint but don't hold your breath...

Hope they give you a response that your content with mate

Unfortunately - the MTEC rust is the least surprising news of all time Dale. I've seen this same post again and again.

If things run true I believe the next step is them palming you offf with some paint and expecting you to do yourself....

Fingers crossed you can buck the trend and get a worthwhile solution. Because doing yourself and even the 'reporting' the problem eats into YOUR time.

And chuck their paint in the bin and do the hubs with smooth Hammerite. You won't beat the finish or longevity.

Good luck buddy :smile:

I'm hoping they will refund me, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

How does the saying go... "if you want something doing right, do it yourself"... Looks like I'll be ordering some Hammerite :tearsofjoy:

At the very least, I hope you get a refund for the coating Dale. Especially if you're going to paint it again yourself! Disappointing that it's got like that in such a short space of time. I see from the other thread that you saw it had happened to another member on here...

They were having none of it when I looked for a refund on the price paid for the coating. As yours is so soon after purchase though, I'd hope they'd be more willing!

Dale, gutted to see this mate. How the hell are companies allowed to send out such guff and get away with it.

You're absolutely entitled to a refund here mate. The item is not performing correctly plain and simple.

Hope it all gets sorted out without too much hassle fella.

Any news Dale (?).......cant wait to hear their thoughts

Whatever way you look at it - in the timescale its pathetic. Interested to see if they 'man up' or try to wriggle.

I got a reply today but I'm not sure whether they're trying to dodge or genuinely misunderstood my email... I'll let you guys decide:

My first email:

Hello,

I've ran into an issue with the set of rear discs I recently purchased.

The protective coating that I paid extra for has started to show serious signs of rusting after only 2 weeks of being fitted.

Please see the two pictures below of the right and left rear discs.

The fronts have been fine and aren't showing any signs of rust at all so I'm a little confused as to why there is an issue with the rears, but please can you advise what can be done about this?

The whole reason I paid extra for the protective coating was to avoid this issue of surface rust, but it appears as though it has been a waste of money at this point.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest regards,
Dale Kirkman

Their response:

Hi Dale
These discs, like most brake discs, are made from cast iron and unpainted cast iron may rust when in contact with moisture. It does not indicate a fault at all and we can assure you that cast iron discs from time to time may do this.
I do know that some of our past customers have sent us in pictures of the brake discs after they have painted them with something like hammerite caliper paint etc. So long as the paint is not on the friction surface then this is OK.
In this case it would be advisable for you to paint the hub section of the discs as per the guidance above.
Thanks
Gemma

My second response:

Hi Gemma,

Thank you for your response but I think there has been a misunderstanding here, perhaps I didn't explain myself very well.

When I placed the order I paid £25 to have all four discs coated in the black edition protective coating, which on your website states:

* UV resistant
* Brake fluid resistant
* Hard wearing
* High anti corrosion properties

The points of 'hard wearing' and 'high anti corrosion properties' are definitely not applicable here as you can see from my pictures the excessive amount of rust after only two weeks.
What seems strange to me is that the front discs show no signs of rust at all.

To me this says one of two things; either the protective coating wasn't applied to the rear discs, or it was applied but it was defective.

I fully understand this is more of a visual thing rather than an issue with the discs themselves, but I feel a little bit let down that I've specifically paid extra for a protective coating that appears to have had no affect on two of the four discs I ordered.

I believe a suitable solution to this would to be refund me for two of the four disc coatings that I paid for, it cost me £25 for all four, so a refund on two discs would be £12.50.
I feel as though is fair and will enable me to purchase some Hammerite as you suggest below and paint them myself.

Kindest regards,
Dale Kirkman

^^^^

What a bunch of Clowns.

Your email was as clear as can be. No way that can be misunderstood.

Well that's what I thought :excited:

We'll see what they say to my second response, and if I don't get anywhere then I'll just buy some Hammerite, it's not the end of the world to be honest, it's just a bit of a pain :tearsofjoy:

"sorry, can't be arsed even reading your email properly" is what that says to me.

You couldn't have been any clearer mate. Said you'd paid for the extra coating. Either she's no idea what products they sell (GREAT!) or she just skip read what you said, look at the photos and fobbed you off.

Either way that's adding insult to injury mate. What a set of jokers.

I'd reply with a link to your posts on here and our reactions to it. See if that makes them take notice.

Absolutely shocking service. What are they thinking? Oh it's only a few quid extra so it doesn't matter if it's a complete con?

Livid on your behalf mate. It's the principal, you've been fleeced.

Good luck.

"sorry, can't be arsed even reading your email properly" is what that says to me.

You couldn't have been any clearer mate. Said you'd paid for the extra coating. Either she's no idea what products they sell (GREAT!) or she just skip read what you said, look at the photos and fobbed you off.

Either way that's adding insult to injury mate. What a set of jokers.

I'd reply with a link to your posts on here and our reactions to it. See if that makes them take notice.

Absolutely shocking service. What are they thinking? Oh it's only a few quid extra so it doesn't matter if it's a complete con?

Livid on your behalf mate. It's the principal, you've been fleeced.

Good luck.

Yeah as you said it does almost feel from their response that they didn't even read my email, saw the picture and threw a generic reply in about coating it with Hammerite.

It is a bit insulting to be honest, but let's see if they agree to refund me so I can sort the issue myself.

It's a shame because aside from this they've been great and I'm really happy with the discs performance and quality.