Dam varley is flat...

Well my new induction set up is great but with cold weather and short drives to shops etc the varley decided to not start the car the other day, a jump of a friend and it started no problem but a few days later turned the key and click click click no turn over! Anyone else experienced this? Or will a good overnight charge sort her out for good? I bought the battery second hand which is ringing alarm bells

as you say be best charging it first as the varley will be sealed so not as if you can test the sg of the battery cells

then see how it holds up

If you're not doing a lot of miles or using the car often then it might be worth buying a battery conditioner. You can pick them up for about £35 and they'll just keep it topped up for you inbetween uses. They will not charge a dead battery though and you won't be able to use it like a jump pack, but we use them on our storage Ferrari's and it keeps them juiced.

I'd buy a bike if that was my daily use to be honest, doing more harm than good to the car as it will never ever get to decent oil temps over that sort of distance. It'll gum the brakes up too over time... We leave the Ferrari's on the conditioners indefinitely, they cut off on their own once the battery stops taking charge.

I'd buy a bike if that was my daily use to be honest, doing more harm than good to the car as it will never ever get to decent oil temps over that sort of distance. It'll gum the brakes up too over time... We leave the Ferrari's on the conditioners indefinitely, they cut off on their own once the battery stops taking charge.

got to agree there thats proper car breaking usage is that :thumbdown:

The car is warmed up before every use and its not ragged if I go my trips to the gym through the week. The car gets a proper drive over the weekend if the weather is good, I also own a bike but for those of us that live in the real world, I can't exactly take my kid,shopping and pram etc on that. The Clio is my toy, I use it for when I want to use it. Back to topic anyone else experienced problems with a varley?

Relocate it to under the passenger seat so away from the damp, wet extreme cold. Charge it fully and see how it goes.

You can't warm a car up properly with it idling on the drive. It's a myth. Wether it's ragged or not, constant short trips and cold running aren't good for any car let alone a performance orientated one. And it was all related to the topic anyway... But "back on topic", might be worth trying what N0ddie said. :smile:

Last edited:
i'd say the batterys a dud tbh mate,i only do a 13 mile round trip to work twice a week and the odd 2 mile round trip school run and my varley redtop 15 is fine and has been through 2 winters,i'm pretty sure smoggy mark doesn't rack the miles up either and his has never skipped a beat

we both go on the odd run out but nothing major,i do around 4000 miles a year tops

i agree that doing short runs is far from ideal but its sometimes unavoidable,just got to make sure the car is warmed up correctly before going daft :smile:

This weather will not be helping, a start will take a lot out of the battery then your short trips in this weather, lights on, radio, heater etc etc

I appreciate what your saying and its true but really if your local shop is 4 miles away your not going to go to the one 10 miles away because it's letting your car warm up fully? Noddie I believe the really cold spell we have had up here combined with the starting and stopping has drained it. A full charge and I will see how it goes, if not maybe a relocate job.

This weather will not be helping, a start will take a lot out of the battery then your short trips in this weather, lights on, radio, heater etc
This is exactly what I'm thinking, Henderson I will give it a charge then if it does it again I will replace.

This weather will not be helping, a start will take a lot out of the battery then your short trips in this weather, lights on, radio, heater etc etc

the cold for them is a killer and getting it secondhand might mean its always been partially discharged and never got a proper top up since being on

This weather will not be helping, a start will take a lot out of the battery then your short trips in this weather, lights on, radio, heater etc
This is exactly what I'm thinking, Henderson I will give it a charge then if it does it again I will replace.

from my experience with batterys,i think its had it!....if its going flat on its own its time to replace

i'll be shocked if it last any length of time from now on bud

Never had a prob with mine and like henderson says i dont do many miles,could be a dud but with it be second hand i would of give it a good 24 hour charge and see how that gose.If its still a dud then get a new one think chris is sorting a group buy for them.