Tire vs Suspension damping

deekay16v

Gold Member
I have now Goodyear Asymmetric 5 on my clio and TBH I do not feel they suit to the car much. They have nice levels of grip, but even they being XL version, their sidewalls ale wobbly. They are also very pressure sensitive. The window when they feel right is jist small. I prefer them at temperatures around 10°C, or when it is hotter but wet/damp, so the tire cools down.
I have tried different pressures but them being too low, the car feels like I am steering through mud. Manufacturer recommended settings 34F,31R cold (in the garage, no sunshine) results in them going hot very quickly, even in temperatures of like 18-19°C. I can see readings like over 37,5PSI on fronts and 34,5 rears (b-road driving) and the car is all over the place.
I think the problem with them is they are very wobbly and undamped and suspension being quite stiff. Especially when they are hotter, the rubber is softer and more...eh...rubbery :smiley:
You can feel it when you poke a finger to a sidewall. Nice and squishy :smiley:
On softer suspension cars, this feels good, but on harder suspension tire has grip, but not rigidity, so suspension cannot do its work.

So the question is... do I have to run semislicks on the road (NS2R maybe?), to have stiffer sidewall , or will for example Potenza Sport do the job?

reminder: Car is a weekender and i dont mind comfort. I need grip, control etc.

And pictures from last weekend bash :smile:

IMG20230429133539.jpgIMG20230429133527.jpg

It does not heat up? So what do you guys with stiff suspension ride during (very) spirited rides? Or do you just comply to wallowy feel? What tire pressures did you run on the road?

RSRowe I have now setup like you used to have. Cup shocks and HR springs.

Certainly over here you cannot get them warm enough on the road for optimal grip.

Also soft side walled tyres are pretty good over here given the road and weather conditions too.
I believe the new UHP Goodyear Eagle Supersport is meant to have a stiffer sidewall, with much better feel.

I guess I cannot get supersports in Clio sizing :worried: Only tire from this level I can find in this sizing is Potenza Sport.

Try something from Yokohama. I'm still on AD08R. Don't go for AD08RS and jump to A052 if you can't source the first.

AD08R are discontinued and replaced by RS, which is supposed to be worse.. A052 are too track oriented I think.

Totally agree with all you have said in your post. I've run AS5 on iour JCW, on which they are very good, with coil overs, adjustable everything suspension, and set to zero toe, the tire worked well enough. I put AS6 on the Clio. And, as you found, it is not an easy tire to find any window to work with, here in Spain, obviously a lot hotter ambient, and especially, tarmac I run 30, 30 cold to start with. And, will still go over 36, on the front, pushed to slip angles at higher speeds easily. Previously, I had RSR, and that suited the CUP - HR springs much better with the stiffer sidewall and will go back to semi's AD08R, AO53, when these are killed, 8k km's, out of the fronts, approx isn't great for this type of tyre, and due to high temps I suspect.

I gave up trying to find a happy cold pressure and adjust them to hot, 33.5 front, 32 rear. Best I could do to make them work.

I think this tire suffers from some heat dissipation issues, with cup toe settings, at 1.3 camber, and toe-out, the inside is constantly heating, and the carcass is not dissipating that heat well, or shedding it, with the toe keeping it from shedding heat. Just a guess, while trying to figure out how to make them work.

Reactions: deekay16v