Different tyres front and rear

Considering getting some AD08's but only need 2 which will end up on the rear and put the existing rear Conti3's on the front. Are there any issues with two tyre types on the front and rear?

In everyday normal driving, not really. Half the cars in the country are like that. In spirited driving it can become an issue with the varying grip levels and characteristics of the tyres coming into play. If your going to do it then keep the same tyres on the same axle (so the fronts the same tyre and rears the same tyre). I know at work we aren't allowed to run different tyres, so if it needs 2 tyres and we can't match the good two it gets 4.

Cheers Paddy, to be honest can you even get Conti3's now? would I have to swap for Conti5's anyway? the car will eventually have all four matching I just cant justify buying 2 to replace the near new rear ones.

Personally I wouldn't recommend putting such different tyres front/back, with the AD08 being a much grippier tyre than the Conti.

However if you're going to do it, I'd put the AD08's up front. It'll be easier to get some heat in to them and you'll have a better feel for the balance. Putting them on the rear and driving in the rain would worry me as your front Contis will feel fairly grippy, but you have no idea how the (colder) rear AD08s are going to behave when you corner/stand on the brakes.

I wouldnt mix AD08s with Conti's whether on the front or back, with experience of the difference having owned both.

In the dry if you put AD's on the front you have a massive grip deficit at the rear, if you put them on the rear you loose the 'balance' that makes the car adjustable.

In the wet if you put them on the rear you'll need to pucker up something serious over standing water as the rear's will 'float' before the fronts. If you put them on the front in the wet without any standing water you'll probably find the AD's actually still grip more than the Conti's and the back end breaks free while the front is gripping hard.

Cheers Guys, seems there more to it than I thought. Looks like im sticking with 4 conti's for the moment!

If you've got a bit of time mate, throw the near-new rears on the front and keep an eye around here for some part worns to go on the back till you need/have the budget for all four AD08s

First time i got the back end out on mine with AD08's on the front V12's on the back,I would stick to all 4 if you like putting your foot down.

this is a bit of a pet hate of mine and being a bit anal over it but always like/have all four tyres to match no matter what car i have had :bash:

Cheers Robo, good logic I will kepe an eye out for some

Foxspeed, I am the same and it would probably start p**sing me off when I looked at the car or was cleaning it seeing 'odd' tyres.

Woudlnt mix and match and espically them two for reasons above.

Just save and get all four at once if you can

I've always had same tyres on every car I had. Does bug me when people mix tyre's especially when buying cars.

Last edited:
Am in a similar situation, fronts are now illegal, rears have loads of tread but cant seem to find conti3's anywhere to keep all 4 matching