diy wheel refurb

Budz

Gold Member
is there any threads or a good how to on here
i have started on one wheel and the paint is tough

these are the 12 spoke 197 wheels

any tips or directions to a link appreciated

cheers

Not done one but i'd use a dremil drill with a wire brush attachment or the like which should key the hard to reach places nicely.

If you have an air compressor, sand blasters are not all that expensive.

I think karcher do one for there pressure washers also.

yeah i was looking at one to go with my nilfisk

It won't be strong enough, we have what is called a "vaqua" cabinet at work which is a water powered sandblaster with air assistance @ 200bar and it just isn't strong enough to remove paint, I think it's the mass of water that dull the actual cleaning power, the compressor sandblasters are far more effective and about the same price iirc but IMO there's no getting away from hours of sanding if you want a good finish, I recently refurbed a set of Audi alloys I had lying around and went at them with 400 then 800 and finished on 1200 and it was almost a perfect finish, but that was bare metal if your looking at keying the surface for another coat of paint 800 first, then prime then wet sand with 1000, top coat (6-10 thin coats) wet sand any defects then clear coat, to do it properly it takes an age tbh, all in think I spent about £60 for all materials and paint (only got £100 for the alloys mind maybe too much effort for £40 profit but awel)

Take them to your local sand blasters, my local one only charges £5 per wheel, really not worth messing about for 20 quid