Does this look normal?? - oil near spark plug

Jimmy

Good cop
As per the title really,and the following two photos. Yesterday, I topped the oil up in my 197 as it was a touch low.

Today I re-checked and noticed a small amount of oil near to the spark plug closest to the filler cap. It's in a tiny square hole as you can see in the pics. It's only maybe 3-4mm deep, but just concerned me a little...

photo17.gif

photo16.gif

Have any of you noticed something like this before, is it normal?? I'm new to 197 ownership so still finding my way round the engine bay, but I didn't think there should be oil there. I intend to take it to Queens in Leeds in the morning for them to have a look, but thought I'd ask you guys first.

Thank you

Oil is leaking out of the bolt next to it, its a common problem. Clean it up, remove the bolt and put some gasket sealant under the bolt head, re do the bolt up and problem solved.

Thank you so much, I appreciate the quick answer. I wasn't too sure what to search for, so apologies if it's been mentioned many many times on here :smiley:

The bolt you mean, is that the one directly above the oil, as seen in the second photo?

Thank you, it's good to know that members are happy to help a noob :smile:

I'll get on to it tomorrow then, will get some sealant and get it done.

Thanks again Stephen.

Ok, well I followed your advice and gave the area a good clean up first. Needed an adapter for the 9mm socket/extension bar, but got the bolt off with that. It appeared to be a different bolt that had the leak, so cleaned that one up and added some sealant - wasn't sure how much to use, but will keep an eye on it, and reapply if necessary.

Thank you again.

Last edited:
Did the sealant fix the issue? I think that I have the same problem but on a slightly larger scale!

I had the same issue but on a larger scale. car was using a lot of oil an the plugs were oily. It was the rocker cover gasket which is a sealant. However the cambelt needed to come off, luckily it was a warranty job otherwise it'd been expensive.

I put some clear silicone under mine 3 years ago and it's been fine since then. I didn't take the bolt all the way out, just loosened it enough to get some sealant under it.

Did the sealant fix the issue? I think that I have the same problem but on a slightly larger scale!

Hi, yes the sealant did do the trick. It's a very simple fix and I managed it alright (I'm no mechanic!). I hope you get yours sorted.