Drivers Window Being A Pain...

Willis

The Gatekeeper
Platinum Member
Hoping somebody can shed some light on this for me...

The problem started yesterday. The drivers window will not go down more than about an inch before it stops. If you keep the button held down, it will just move an inch-ish and stop. So you have to let go of the button and press it again. And again. And so on until it's all the way down, or down to wherever you want it to be down to. It's the same putting it back up too.

Anybody know what this might be? I'm hoping it's something simple. :smile:

Cheers,

Will

My 197 does this time to time if ya put it up it stops goes down an inch so and so on till its shut.I think or have ben told its the safety switch that could be at fault.Not sure if it's a switch or sensor suppose to stop kids or pets strangling themselves

Phew, not just mine then!!! :smile:

I think maybe I've triggered it... Because I'm sad, I always like my windows to be down the same level which usually involves fiddling with one, which is usually the drivers one. Sounds like I've set the kiddie alarm off hahaha!!!

Any idea how to stop it or turn the thing off!?!

Yeah, it's not a major hinderence. To be honest, I'm glad it's not just mine that does it. :smiley:

I'll dig the manual out and ask around as I visit a few Renault dealers with work. Hopefully it can be undone. :smile:

Mine just started and to be fair it's rare I operate the passenger window, infact I'm not even sure how I noticed it :smile:

My drivers window plays up sometimes, only when trying to put it back up though

I heard that holding the window switch up or down for about 5 seconds can reset the windows but it never worked for me

i had this problem once but after a day or so it went dont no why try taking the battery off and leave it for 5 mins to reset everythink and then connect it back up it should cure the problem nuffink to worry about tho its just 1 of them annoying renault electric faults lol

Cheers guys, I'll try the holding it down thing first and if that doesn't work then I'll leave it a few days without touching the switch at all (which will be a bugger because the new exhaust sounds SOOO good)... I only use the car every other day in the week, so if nothing else works I'll try the battery thing. :smile:

its not a fault, the windows can be set to do it if i remember correctly. Put the window all teh way down, hold the button down for 5 seconds, then pull it up and hold for 5 seconds. Should put them back to normal.

Cheers Graeme, I'll give that a try too!!!

I thought it was quite odd because it was literally opening to the exact place I'd have put it anyway. Maybe it has some kind of memory!?!

i had this problem and its not a reset thing

the window just needs lubricationg

wind it right down and spray loads of silicon lube or spray grease into the window rubbers at the front and rear of the window.

after 2 or 3 go's up and down it will be sorted.

my passanger side did this a few months back due to lack of use thats all. works spot on now

i did a thread on this not so long ago.

the reason the window drops just a little and stops is a safety feature. if the motor gets too much resistance it assumes a hand etc is being caught in the window and stops automatically.

dry window rubbers cause enough resistance to make this happen. a bit of spray lube sorts it right out. your glass will need cleaning after though

Last edited:
Cheers Ken, all worth a try!!!

I'll have a fiddle once I get back from shopping :smile:

FIXED!!! :smiley:

1; Wind the window all the way down.
2; Wind the window all the way back up.
3; Let go of ''up'' button and then press ''up'' button back down and hold. Count to 5.

Cheers Graeme!!! :smiley:

Reactions: hwa0725
you might find water has got into the switch if you open the window when it's raining or you wash your screen there's a direct route for the water coming off the screen to the switch, it should dry out in a couple of days and be ok, it's happened to me a few times.

The window lifting mechanism needs calibration (in other words, it needs to 'learn' the limits of the open/close positions). This calibration needs to be performed after the battery has been disconnected for more than a couple of minutes.

As has already been said, lift the windows up and keep pressing the 'up' switch for 5-10 seconds.