Dumbest move pulled in a car.

Picked up my mate at his nan who lives in a cottage down some lanes. Instead of doing a u turn well 6 point turn as its very narrow road. Decided to reverse the 500 metres.. A third way up thought what the hell and floored it. Having just passed my test, little did i know high speed in reverse, sharp braking and steering = yr screwed

Well nearly there and prob doing 25+ by the sound of the screeming engine and mate having the ride of his life. I braked and steered for the curved road.. Car did half a j turn and went into a 3 ft ditch at a decent speed in reverse and finished up on its side.

Me and my mate ended up with neck supports and matching bump like half a bolied egg stuck on opposite of our foreheads.

Got a few nick names out of it and some p### taking for a few weeks.. luckily the insurance paid up as any could panic and accelerate instead of braking. :smile:

Last edited:
In my 172 Cup at a set of lights, dusk on a summer evening, empty dual carriageway from the lights leading to a roundabout.

Car with roof rack pulls up behind just as the lights change. I pull away fairly sharply as do the headlights behind so I go full noise mode off down to the roundabout.

Roundabout is 3 lanes wide, clear sighted in all directions, and my exit was onto more empty dual carriageway. I negotiate the roundabout pretty aggressively then more full on noise/acceleration up to 3 figures.

Then I engage sensible mode, slow down to legal cruising speed and wait for the lights of the car behind to come blasting past (curious as to what it was). It closes, then stays 100m behind.

Then it lit its blue lights up.

Gulp.

Thought "oh f***, was bound to happen sooner or later" (never once pulled overin my Cup in 110k miles) and prepared to slow down.

Then the blue lights went out, he pulled out, and flew past me at what seemed like well over 100mph...must have had a call that was more important than me.

That was a few of my nine lives lost that night!