Has your gearbox been replaced? Yes or no?

Have you had the gearbox in your 197 / 200 replaced?

• No - I'm still running the original gearbox

Votes: 420 72.9%
  • Yes - I'm running a replacement gearbox

Votes: 156 27.1%

• Total voters
Did you get the 1st and 2nd gear issue sorted with the new box mate?

Yeah, hadn't posted because I had to max it out to make sure it was going to last lol. 133mph ain't bad.

The garage hadn't put the linkage on correctly and it had popped off, cost me £60 to get it towed to them too.

Putting an order in for a megane coupe diesel for the misses this week, saving a fortune too.

Car is back! All done and feeling good, even pulls away better now.

The box is brand new and is uprated(according to renault). Hope this one is a guddin!

Thanks renault portsmouth for doing a good job:thumbup1:

Car is back! All done and feeling good, even pulls away better now.

The box is brand new and is uprated(according to renault). Hope this one is a guddin!

Thanks renault portsmouth for doing a good job:thumbup1:

?????????????

Well I've not heard a dickie bird from RUK since we spoke last week, when I turned down the 50% offer. I believe the parts will be arriving tomorrow so hopefully they'll give me a call then.

Everyone who has had a problem who have been made to pay should email Dom Littlewood, sure the gearboxes are unfit for purpose. My old 1.2 clio that was 16 years old had its original gearbox from new and I gave that some abuse being my first car when I passed my test.

Watchdog might be a waste of time but I have been watching Dont get done get Dom and he gets some very good results. On the one that was on today he was looking into VW and the ESP light problem.

I'm sure we have enough people (31) to get noticed lol its whether or not anyone else will be bothered to or not but I think its very worthwhile.

Any surly the fact that some people with a 197/200 struggle to engage any gear when first starting the car counts?

I know I have that problem every morning.

My 3rd crunches like a goodun on a regular basis.. Decided that I have no chance to get it fixed under warranty but since i bought the car second hand, its possible the warranty I got with that will cover it...

How the hell I go about that though I'll never know!

They don't have to, but I imagine they will to some degree. Mine's 4yrs on 44k and I turned down 50% contribution from RUK as I don't think it's enough.

However, you may be able to claim under the Sale of Goods Act against the retailer. It's an option I have outlined to my dealership, but I have also made it clear I see that as a last resort. Personally my problem with SoGA in this case is that it's clearly a common problem and so I feel Renault should be sorting the matter out.

Update: Renault CS called me and have upped their offer. It's been upped to 75% which I have accepted. The dealership have also knocked a good chunk off my 12mth service price. I know some got higher (rja_cup getting 95% from RUK and 2.5% from his dealer) but I've accepted based on the age/mileage when compared to other cases, and having weighed up the risks of going down the Sale of Goods Act route.

I still think that this is something that Renault should look to sort FOC for anyone suffering what is a common problem, and I could easily see someone else willing to take this a long way. However, whilst this isn't the sort of hassle anyone wants, it's an especially bad time for me, so I'm willing to accept the goodwill gesture I've been offered and hope that this is an end to the problems.

Thanks for all the messages of support as well guys :smile:

Update: Renault CS called me and have upped their offer. It's been upped to 75% which I have accepted. The dealership have also knocked a good chunk off my 12mth service price. I know some got higher (rja_cup getting 95% from RUK and 2.5% from his dealer) but I've accepted based on the age/mileage when compared to other cases, and having weighed up the risks of going down the Sale of Goods Act route.

I still think that this is something that Renault should look to sort FOC for anyone suffering what is a common problem, and I could easily see someone else willing to take this a long way. However, whilst this isn't the sort of hassle anyone wants, it's an especially bad time for me, so I'm willing to accept the goodwill gesture I've been offered and hope that this is an end to the problems.

Thanks for all the messages of support as well guys :smile:

result :thumbup1:

mines a late 2006, 30k on the clock, apprently according to Renault its on its original box, but will check if the serials match

Last edited: