Help needed! Car won't start

Hi guys, can anyone help, drove car to work as normal, jumped in it to come home and the dam thing won't start, just winding over and not firing, anyone got any ideas what the problem could be?

Cheers

have you tried jumping it?

did you leave your sidelights on or anything that could've run the battery down?

last time i went on holiday & got back my clio 1.6 wouldn't start but after trying & trying with no result i went back later & it started, then just had to give it a good blast as it felt sluggish, i was convinced it was cause my petrol was so low & i was parked on a hill so that no fuel was being pumped... never knew why it didn't start though...

good luck

Last edited:
Petrol is the first thing to check. Even if there was a bit left in it, you can always try putting some more in.

see if you can hear the fuel pump working - a whirring noise from the rear before start up - should stop after a second or so until the engine is cranked over

If you were to get someone else to try starting it & went to listen for the fuel pump noise, where would be the best place to go to listen?

And if you did hear it, where's the next port of call?

Just curious....

If you were to get someone else to try starting it & went to listen for the fuel pump noise, where would be the best place to go to listen?

And if you did hear it, where's the next port of call?

Just curious....

rear wheel arch

then make sure fuel up to the engine and then for a spark

Hi guys, can anyone help, drove car to work as normal, jumped in it to come home and the dam thing won't start, just winding over and not firing, anyone got any ideas what the problem could be?

Cheers
This happened to me a couple of years back. My fuel pump had packed up. It was only 18 months old at that point!

update on this problem, a day later plugged a code reader in and no faults found, then pulled some fuses under the bonnet and cleaned them up, hey presto car started, great sorted it, till saturday morning, same again, tried fuses under bonnet again, this time nothing so cant have been the problem, havnt run the car all week, but have started twice a day since and fires up everytime, just darnt go anywhere in it now in case it happens again.
not sure what to do about this now, if its running fine i cant see the dealers computer finding any faults, any thoughts?

when i got it running at work, drove it home, and worked fine for a day or so then happened again, when it wouldnt start on saturday morning, got back home from work in the afternoon and started, and has done ever since

Mine was the fuel pump, but mine just failed (whilst driving!)and wouldnt work again. Just changed it, what a mare that was, had to drop the tank, and the pumps not cheap either :worried:

check the tdc sensor...

front of engine low down near bell housing

I was thinking along the lines of an immobiliser problem, but the tdc sensor sounds a good starting point, if they arnt working properly can they be checked on diagnostic computers?

I was thinking along the lines of an immobiliser problem, but the tdc sensor sounds a good starting point, if they arnt working properly can they be checked on diagnostic computers?

doesnt always show as a fault....

Just had alook for tdc sensor, all can see without removing battery box is a green sensor with 3 wires coming from it, does this sound rite? Rung Renault and there are 2 different sensors so need it off to check numbers

Cheers

Just had alook for tdc sensor, all can see without removing battery box is a green sensor with 3 wires coming from it, does this sound rite? Rung Renault and there are 2 different sensors so need it off to check numbers

Cheers

can only get to it from underneath as far as i know