help please. clutch issue

Ashton

200T Test Pilot
Platinum Member
Hi guys

Just wanted a bit of advice really. I'm not the most technically minded so please bear with me

I was at cadwell on thursday and everything was going fine until my second session when I started to press on to get some propper heat Into my brakes and tyres when I noticed that it was getting harder to select gear going both up and down the gears

I originally thought that I wasnt depressing the clutch far enough (my feet were very cold wearing my karting boots in zero degrees)

Then when I got to the and of park straight and started to scrub speed off for the 3rd gear right handed I had pretty much no hydraulic pressure from my clutch pedal and I couldn't select any gear.

I had to disengage gear and pull the the side. I pumped the clutch 10-15 times and get a bit of pedal feel back that allowed me to select a gear to limp back to the pits

After a few minutes I had a pedal back and went to try it in the road to get some fuel and all. Seemed to be ok

Went out to give someone a passenger ride after lunch and managed to get about 4 laps before the same happened again

Now the clutch itself seems fine. No slipping and when I have a pedal all functions fine.

When pressing on this is where the problem starts.

I know the clutch takes a feed from the brake reservoir and a few weeks ago I had a full brake fluid change at ktec when I had my big brakes put on. I'm thinking that there maybe a water/airlock in the system somewhere. Brakes are functioning fine. I have had no lost of fluid from the underside and the level is constant in my brake reservoir

I know its probably that but I'm gutted I lost 5 hours of track time for this

Anyone else ever had this......thoughts and comments would be appreciated

Thanks

A

Last edited:
Did the clutch pedal go light? E.g You could press the clutch pedal to the floor without any resistance?

Only reason I ask is, my old 197 had a clutch problem. I could depress the clutch slowly and feel no resistance. Also sometimes when stopping for a junction it would stick in gear.. But it would only do it sometimes.

Yeah. The clutch went very light either way. When I left it for a few minutes I got pedal feel back. It has to be air in the system that is expanding when the fluid temp increases.

If I bleed the system do I have to use the same fluid that is in the take reservoir cause trying to find somewhere that stocks it locally is hard. I have the RBF660 motel fluid

II don't think its a knackered slave cylinder as it only happens when very hot and I'm not looking any fluid

What brake fluid are you running? Sounds like you have boiled the fluid while on track causing the problem. The bigger brakes would create a lot more heat. I would run rbf 600 fluid never had any problems using it.

If being honest I did not check. It took quite sometime to convince renault that there was a problem. Throughout the problem the brakes felt fine too.

maybe change the brake fluid first then see how it goes? Or I can pm you the old reg. if you have a friendly Renault dealer they maybe able to pull up the details of the car?

Kenneth, I have heard people moaning about RBF660 on track days before. Saying they lost all pedal feel in less than a day on the track. It's possible you could have pushed it so hard it's ****ed but then you have said that the brakes were fine, so which would suggest the fluid is fine. Weird.

What brake fluid are you running? Sounds like you have boiled the fluid while on track causing the problem. The bigger brakes would create a lot more heat. I would run rbf 600 fluid never had any problems using it.

If being honest I did not check. It took quite sometime to convince renault that there was a problem. Throughout the problem the brakes felt fine too.

maybe change the brake fluid first then see how it goes? Or I can pm you the old reg. if you have a friendly Renault dealer they maybe able to pull up the details of the car?

Kenneth, I have heard people moaning about RBF660 on track days before. Saying they lost all pedal feel in less than a day on the track. It's possible you could have pushed it so hard it's ****ed but then you have said that the brakes were fine, so which would suggest the fluid is fine. Weird.

Am I missing something here but brake fluid is for brakes, the OP is asking about his clutch. Or are these connected?

I am going to get some more RBF 660 and bleed the brake and clutch system.

I would be very disappointed if I boiled 4 week old fluid within half a track day. I had no issues with the standard fluid in 2 years.

25 quid for 500mm that boils that quick is crap

It's only happened since I have a full fluid change

The clutch hydraulic system I'm sure takes a feed off the back of the brake reservoir.

Unless I'm very wrong

AP 5.1 dot fluid. Always used it and never had any issues with boiling the fluid.

Silly question, did see K-tec put the fluid in you say have in the car??

Yeah ktec did a full brake fluid drop and replaced with motel 660.

It's got to be air that's got in when thus was done. Anyone know where I can get a bottle of 660 from over the counter

Surely if it was the slave I wouldnt get the pedal back and I would have a loss of fluid.....

I hope its not the slave as its a grarbox out job with Renault

Car is under warranty though

Shall I just get a 200T instead.....(big brakes, v3 and akrapovic for sale) lol