is there a de-cat available for standard exhaust system?

so the example was....pointless

be better ways to expalian improved "efficency" than an example of "gearing"....

No it is a perfect example, because thats how it works.

Has anyone even bother to look up pulse tuning which is how an exhaust is actually designed ?

There are also alot more factors to take into account when designing an exhaust system.

For example, friction factors, the Reynolds number of the flowing gasses and turbulence in the pipe work calculated by flow rate, velocity and whether the flow is turbulent, transitional or laminar through out.

Eg, a bottle neck or restriction (like a catalytic converter) will alter flow causing it to change from laminar to turbulent and also having a higher friction factor value to the material the exhaust is made out of thus disrupting the flow even further which in turn causes loss of power and the engine has to work harder to expel the exhaust gases.

I have wrote a couple papers and guides for a few forums now explaining pulse tuning, volumetric, mechanical and thermo efficiency so I have researched these topics in great depth.

I hope this information helps.

Gouldy

Has anyone even bother to look up pulse tuning which is how an exhaust is actually designed ?

There are also alot more factors to take into account when designing an exhaust system.

For example, friction factors, the Reynolds number of the flowing gasses and turbulence in the pipe work calculated by flow rate, velocity and whether the flow is turbulent, transitional or laminar through out.

Eg, a bottle neck or restriction (like a catalytic converter) will alter flow causing it to change from laminar to turbulent and also having a higher friction factor value to the material the exhaust is made out of thus disrupting the flow even further which in turn causes loss of power and the engine has to work harder to expel the exhaust gases.

I have wrote a couple papers and guides for a few forums now explaining pulse tuning, volumetric, mechanical and thermo efficiency so I have researched these topics in great depth.

Gouldy

you are still only giving an example that has different gearing - was no mention of "imporved" power or efficiency - ie the vehicle can pull a higher gear due to improved efficiency....which i assume you are trying to prove ?

as for pulse tuning etc - i do know about this and other things to do with engines etc i didnt spend 4yrs at tech for nothing !

Eg, a bottle neck or restriction (like a catalytic converter) will alter flow causing it to change from laminar to turbulent and also having a higher friction factor value to the material the exhaust is made out of thus disrupting the flow even further which in turn, causes loss of power and the engine has to work harder to expel the exhaust gases.

Gouldy

I find interesting renault have kept same diam runners for 182 and 197 given the hike in Cr between the two engines, what are your thoughts on this?

Just to share with you my experience living with a decat pipe on my 200, since I’ve installed one 6 months ago together with a V6 intake. As already been mentioned here, the flat spot can easily be sponged off by a proper remap, the sound and power delivery between 4500 rpm to red line is really amazing, the beast pulls really hard, and this is not a placebo effect. Indeed, downside is more fuel consumption, but then I drive the car much harder then when the car was standard, so this might be a cause on fuel burning up, secondly, the engine fan is now switching on more frequent for some reason, and engine bay feels hotter, but again maybe its due to my passionate driving.

Overall I’m delighted to have carried this mod, nothing but grins on face everytime I’m on the wheel.

Thinking about decatting my Miltek system and this is the post I was looking for - plain & simple and a first hand experience. :thumbup:

I felt the difference just with the V6 airbox - exactly from the 4500/5000 rpm till the redline, like the engine needed more air, and now I had my inlets matched.