Loving the 220 !

I've outrun an Astra VXR. It had so much power, it literally couldn't put it down due to the poor chassis.

I was about 100bhp down and dropped him.

They're good drag cars when setup correctly but useless in the corners unless big bux has been spent.

Talking about the previous model to the current, of course.

Last edited:
Indeed, Circuit of Ireland and the Ulster Rally for me in the early 80's. Great Tarmac cars until Group B came along and changed things somewhat! Still Michele Mouton in a SWB Quattro was a crowd puller[emoji106][emoji8]

I've outrun an Astra VXR. It had so much power, it literally couldn't put it down due to the poor chassis.

I was about 100bhp down and dropped him.

They're good drag cars when setup correctly but useless in the corners unless big bux has been spent.

Talking about the previous model to the current, of course.
The new one is an absolute beast. I've only seen the one, in blue and it's definitely as good looking as the Clio, which is something that can't be said for a lot of these hot hatches

Indeed, Circuit of Ireland and the Ulster Rally for me in the early 80's. Great Tarmac cars until Group B came along and changed things somewhat! Still Michele Mouton in a SWB Quattro was a crowd puller[emoji106][emoji8]

Fantastic mate. Tarmac rallying is still great. One of the last bits of motorsport that hasn't been sanitised due to the boffins being too clever!

The 2015 vxr is hardly an old school hot hatch though is it lol... Dont contradict your point, either compare it to the current gen of hot hatch or too previous renaultsport models, it cant be everything...

Thats half the problem of why its been slated, as its being teed up against the fiesta, which previous generation was crap, where as the 197/200 was a highly praised car.. As i said, it cant be everything.

Have you drove a new VXR Chris? Funny how everybody slates it (not that I expect praise on a Clio forum) but I bet nobody on here has ever drove one? I have both a 2015 Clio and Corsa. So as I see it I'm in a good position to judge. However my opinion may differ from others. To make a fair comment you need to have driven both. All I'm saying is the Corsa feels more like an old school hot hatch than the Clio. Both are good cars but I prefer the Corsa. That's coming from a person who loves The RS brand too!

Last edited:
Have you drove a new VXR Chris? Funny how everybody slates it (not that I expect praise on a Clio forum) but I bet nobody on here has ever drove one? I have both a 2015 Clio and Corsa. So as I see it I'm in a good position to judge. However my opinion may differ from others. To make a fair comment you need to have driven both. All I'm saying is the Corsa feels more like an old school hot hatch than the Clio. Both are good cars but I prefer the Corsa. That's coming from a person who loves The RS brand too!

I don't think anyone's slating the VXR - just saying it's not very old school. It was probably ahead of it's time with the 1.6l turbo, and I bet it's a great drive with the Drexler LSD. I'm afraid my only problem with the VXR is looks!

No I haven't. Everybody slates the corsa? Welcome to a 200t owners world...

I won't believe that a modern 2015 hot hatch is anything like an old school hot hatch. The days of screaming NA's in hot hatches are past with the 200 being the last. Can't ever see them coming back with the efficiency of turbo cars. And in my eyes, that's an old school hot hatch..

No I haven't. Everybody slates the corsa? Welcome to a 200t owners world...

I won't believe that a modern 2015 hot hatch is anything like an old school hot hatch. The days of screaming NA's in hot hatches are past with the 200 being the last. Can't ever see them coming back with the efficiency of turbo cars. And in my eyes, that's an old school hot hatch..

It's
not just about screaming engines. It's the handling, direct steering, nimble performance, being able to change direction quickly, loads of grip and a manual gearbox. These too are things that in my mind make an old school hot hatch. The VXR does scream and significantly pulls well towards the red line, not as much as a N/A car but it does. Like I said before it's closer to old school than the Clio. I would also like to see a group test where the Clio is up against its rivals and comes 1st. Unfortunately there isn't one, case dismissed....:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hi Simon
ive been reading all the posts and the best thing I can suggest as you obviously haven't tried this is go to a track day and drive a 220. Seen as this post was about the 220 in the first place. All this talk about the same old thing . GEARBOX. I guarantee to you i could make faster changes up or down the box than you could change manually in a VXR etc.
I was the owner of a mk3 200 for 3 yrs and admit I was thinking the same thoughts as you. Driving experience etc. Old school hot hatch . My first car was a Williams in 1995. That was proper old school. If the mk3 200 or 197 had come out a year after that people would be having the same debate with those . That the Williams is proper drivers car. But it's called progress . The VXR is a damn good car . But to say the 220 hasn't the nimble performance , quick steering , change of direction , screaming engine is just not true . I suggest you try one sometime.
And as regards your question about group tests , try a Google search on group test , 220 , 208 gti anniversary , mini JCW .
Many thanks

Hi Simon
ive been reading all the posts and the best thing I can suggest as you obviously haven't tried this is go to a track day and drive a 220. Seen as this post was about the 220 in the first place. All this talk about the same old thing . GEARBOX. I guarantee to you i could make faster changes up or down the box than you could change manually in a VXR etc.
I was the owner of a mk3 200 for 3 yrs and admit I was thinking the same thoughts as you. Driving experience etc. Old school hot hatch . My first car was a Williams in 1995. That was proper old school. If the mk3 200 or 197 had come out a year after that people would be having the same debate with those . That the Williams is proper drivers car. But it's called progress . The VXR is a damn good car . But to say the 220 hasn't the nimble performance , quick steering , change of direction , screaming engine is just not true . I suggest you try one sometime.
And as regards your question about group tests , try a Google search on group test , 220 , 208 gti anniversary , mini JCW .
Many thanks

Sorry but I beg do differ about changing gears. For a start you have to mess around pressing a silly switch which cannot decide if it wants to go in sport/race or whatever. The switch is in a stupid place, by the time you've selected the mode you want the opposition have long gone. The whole concept is just bloody frustrating, it needs to be simple so you can just get on with it. Just out of interest I also owned a 270bhp R26 for three years so I don't need to have a trackday to be told how to drive a fast car. I have also had an R26.r for a few weeks to look after whilst my mate was away. I am a 42 year old with 26 years driving experience who's had many performance cars in my time not an 18 year old that's come on here to say that my car is faster than yours and I beat a 911 away from the lights the other night. I will say the new Clio is a well built car but it's not for me. Just out of interest my wife loves but what does she know?:bored:

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 73
Let's try and keep things friendly shall we. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and everyone is welcome on this forum regardless what cars they drive/own/like. We may not always agree on things, however there is no reason for a good-natured discussion to turn into a slanging match. The posts in question have been deleted. Any queries, please contact a member of staff.

Sorry about the earlier posts Jimmy . Just comes back to the same old thing on threads on this forum . Gearbox etc . Get over it. The reason I posted on this section of the forum is because it was titled . Clio 220 trophy . And thinks related to it. That's why I don't go on the megane forum or threads associated with it . Because I can't have a valid opinion if I don't own that vehicle . One again apologises. I'm glad some of you found it funny tho (nutnut ) haha

Nice one mate. Guarantee you will love it. Only downside I've found upto now is it drinks petrol !! Think I've got the ghost of Oliver Reed in my fuel tank

About 27/28 mpg. So is it true this new cars drink a bit more mate until they loosen up ? I've got 1200 miles on clock upto now