Loving the 220 !

I'd love to see 28mpg!

:smiley:

As for the gearbox, I still find it amazing that people don't like them. People need to understand there's a huge difference between an automatic and a clutchless manual. It's nothing like an auto, yet you can have it behave like one of you wish when arsing around town.

But when you're really on it, there's no messing about it's just rush, next, rush, next, russssssh... And I don't know if it does but if the Clio will auto blip on downshift, even better. It's quite an experience and I think allows more focus when at your limit.

There is a lot of pomp and ignorance around paddle shift but in my opinion, the pros outweigh the cons.

That's good going mate ! I respect your opinion then ! Haha . I've only had 5.
williams
R5 turbo
1.8 16v Clio
mk3 200
220 trophy.
i was going to move away from renaultsport before buying the 220 and considered the golf gti .
But aside from the extra £6000 I just think renaultsport are that little bit more special . But before anyone jumps on me !! THATS MY OPINION !!! haha

Well said ///M . Stuck in traffic going to work in the mornings the auto is a godsend. But when needs be and you feel like a run out on manual it's excellent . I have had a few moments where I've arrived at roundabouts etc at ridiculous speeds and the downshifts have been more than fast enough to see me through . ( or around ! )
i think if they had handed some of the press an exotic sports car with that box they wouldn't of been constantly banging on about it.
Its because it was in the Clio. I'm not saying it's a Ferrari box but perhaps that's because it isn't Ferrari money !!!!
I'm not for a minute saying a manual gearbox isn't better for driving experience etc but a lot of the criticism of the box is unjustified . Especially in the 220 as having drivin my mates 200t which is also excellent I really believe you can tell the tweaks / improvements they have made to the 220.
And as regards the comments the guy made on here about messing about with buttons and switching to manual RS mode . I reckon it takes about 2 seconds to do this and then that's it . You don't go back and forth . But I haven't as yet got my stopwatch out to test the 2 second theory . It might be less ! Haha .

Very good point !! Don't know why they couldn't of put it where the voice control button is on steering wheel . I can only think that was a cost issue / easier to install where it is .
While I'm on the subject of the voice control button after 5 weeks I still get a message on the R-link saying voice not supported . I've read couple of other people on here have had same problem . I've tried everything . Still can't get it to work . Real pain . Especially when making phone calls

That would be great if you would mate. It comes up with a speech bubble on screen saying voice control not supported. Someone had previously asked on the ask the experts section and the reply was that engine must be turned on and r-link on ? I would of thought that's obvious . But still doesn't work ? Can't find anything related to it in manual . And as I right this the manual is Infront of me

Sorry about the earlier posts Jimmy . Just comes back to the same old thing on threads on this forum . Gearbox etc . Get over it. The reason I posted on this section of the forum is because it was titled . Clio 220 trophy . And thinks related to it. That's why I don't go on the megane forum or threads associated with it . Because I can't have a valid opinion if I don't own that vehicle . One again apologises. I'm glad some of you found it funny tho (nutnut ) haha

No worries :smile: things just got a little heated, but it's all good now :smile:

OT, I have never driven a 200T and was guilty of taking what the press said as gospel. I subscribe to Evo mag and respect their opinions on things, so when they weren't too keen on the 'box I thought naively that was how it was. However I then spoke to actual owners (including nutnut and Chris91) who have driven older Clios and they both loved it.

There is a stigma about auto boxes and a lot of it is probably down to the realisation that it is gradually making the manual 'box a thing of the past.
However we have to embrace it and see that modern boxes are just as effective - and can be just as much fun - as manual boxes. We just have to give it a chance and not jump on the bandwagon when a journalist or two decides it aint as good.

Just driven my next car a 220T such a difference from my 200T better body control more positive turn in. The extra bhp is noticeable better exhaust note just a 100% improvement over the original car more like my old 200 OH the gear box is fine tooooooo [MENTION=52730]REM261[/MENTION]

Hey buddy ! That's great news about the 220 . I really believe the improvements are noticeable. Did you get chance go through the manual box etc ? Or just a steady drive ? I know there hasn't been a tremendous hike in bhp but the extra and how it puts it down is imo very noticeable . And the exhaust note is addictive . I was out last night and never get tired of booting it and listening to that growl every change on manual.
any downsides mate ? I would of liked the same set up on keyless entry that was on the mk3 200 , putting hand through door handle on sensor to open instead of that stupid button . And on a lighter note , where is the glovebox light !!!!

That's good news then nutnut. I'm quite new to the forum and as yet never done a trip out to spa or elsewhere I might look into it for this year . I was up renault the other day and they were saying they are organising some things for renaultsport this year as well. It really looks like at last the reanaulsport dealers are really embracing it. And shouting about it a bit more which is good to see. It really feels like you are a member of a club when I go my dealers.

Oh Kevin , This is the thing and I don't know how to say this because I will become an outcast !!
IM NOT ON FACEBOOK ! Nooooooooo !
I understand lads , nice knowing you all ! Haha