LY200 - too loud or blow up again, taking bets!

drop pistons out....hone bores and re-ring it :thumbup:
If you mean to keep the car/engine then I don't think it's worth it, it'll be about £1500, and as I'll probably need to go to an 83mm bore because after another re-hone the clearances won't be ideal, so closer to £2000 with a new set of 83mm pistons.

If you mean to sell the car, then yes probably a rebuild and sell fresh is better than a stock F4R going in, up to the next owner if they want to try and use it daily or strip it and have a mega track car.

Pretty sure I've covered the maths but it works out similar money to drop a Honda in when you also consider I was planing around another 3.5k on this engine anyway! If I wasn't then sure Honda's expensive, but it'll work out the same and I'll get more power and something that can be used daily without question!

Yeah gotta walk before I run! :smile:

K20 Clio...M3....K20 Clio....M3, tough call but I've always been a fan of the underdog! Trouble is the only M3's I want are all 30k, otherwise it's too old, too high mileage, boring ass Silverstone II and Black leather etc. Not to mention the fact the M3 needs 2.5k on track worthy brakes, and unless you can grab a comp pack car (more like 35k), then it's also 2.5k on Ohlins R&T.

I have a hunch a K20 Clio will work out pretty decent :wink:
I've spent so much on it and I've done 2 bloody track days! :worried: and both of which I couldn't go entirely full bore because I had noise issues on each! If I put it back to standard which would involve finding a low mileage engine (and I've just sold one annoyingly!) then it has all been in vain!

I'll get a tape measure over the bay tomorrow anyway, if it looks like they'll be a chassis leg issue that would be a show stopper so then yes I will go M3.

If it costs me £1500 to get another engine installed, I almost think I might be better to spend the £1500 on putting new rings on the engine and selling it forged with a clean bill of health.

Been there with previous projects where you get in so deep, it's hard to cut and run. I bought a two year old 330ci 12 years ago cause I could afford the M3 at the time. Wasn't happy with it and supercharger, suspension and brakes, it would have been cheaper to have bought an M3. Also it was never right and a project that should have been fun, I ended up hating.

I vowed never again would I start with a perfect car and bought this Clio damaged as a project car. Maybe find a light damaged V8 which will allow you to do everything you want with the money you saved. Ive had my car 5/6 years and if I sold it tmw, would lose a penny even with the money spent on the conversion

If you mean to keep the car/engine then I don't think it's worth it, it'll be about £1500, and as I'll probably need to go to an 83mm bore because after another re-hone the clearances won't be ideal, so closer to £2000 with a new set of 83mm pistons.

If you mean to sell the car, then yes probably a rebuild and sell fresh is better than a stock F4R going in, up to the next owner if they want to try and use it daily or strip it and have a mega track car.

Pretty sure I've covered the maths but it works out similar money to drop a Honda in when you also consider I was planing around another 3.5k on this engine anyway! If I wasn't then sure Honda's expensive, but it'll work out the same and I'll get more power and something that can be used daily without question!

we had a similar issue at work on a megane engine....excessive oil use after an over-bore...to cut a long story short the honed finish was to "rough" so it never bedded-in correctly - was re-honed to a better finish and re-ringed - still out there now producing big power

Been there with previous projects where you get in so deep, it's hard to cut and run. I bought a two year old 330ci 12 years ago cause I could afford the M3 at the time. Wasn't happy with it and supercharger, suspension and brakes, it would have been cheaper to have bought an M3. Also it was never right and a project that should have been fun, I ended up hating.

I vowed never again would I start with a perfect car and bought this Clio damaged as a project car. Maybe find a light damaged V8 which will allow you to do everything you want with the money you saved. Ive had my car 5/6 years and if I sold it tmw, would lose a penny even with the money spent on the conversion
I would only be happy with an immaculate car what ever route, couldn't buy something high mileage or damaged...even though I appreciate it is sensible. Just not my mentality!

we had a similar issue at work on a megane engine....excessive oil use after an over-bore...to cut a long story short the honed finish was to "rough" so it never bedded-in correctly - was re-honed to a better finish and re-ringed - still out there now producing big power
My engine had only done 30k and the bores were fine so it was just glaze busted I think it's called and obv new rings with the forged pistons.

As I say though a forged piston isn't really a daily proposition is everything I'm hearing now.. so not sure the viability of doing it again?

I would only be happy with an immaculate car what ever route, couldn't buy something high mileage or damaged...even though I appreciate it is sensible. Just not my mentality!

I was the same for many a year till I realised I started out with what I knew it was going to be a project car. It's funny cause I'd taken out the low mileage engine and gear box to either reengineer or what's quite funny put another engine in it, that's higher mileage? Took off the low mileage suspension for coil overs, change the immaculate standard brakes for new bigger ones anyway, took off the low mileage exhaust for an performance one. The immaculate wheels were often changed as were the tyres. Then if I'm tracking it, take out all that immaculate interior replaced with nothing, then that lovely low mileage immaculate bodywork, I'd batter it on a track with the increase possibility of binning it. Never had much of my immaculate low mileage car left plus the premium money I spent for the low mileage immaculate car, I've lost cause I've modded it anyway!!

So people have paid premium money for parts they have no intention to use anyway?

Each to their own I guess.....Cat D turd for me everytime

Last edited:
I was the same for many a year till I realised I started out with what I knew it was going to be a project car. It's funny cause I'd taken out the low mileage engine and gear box to either reengineer or what's quite funny put another engine in it, that's higher mileage? Took off the low mileage suspension for coil overs, change the immaculate standard brakes for new bigger ones anyway, took off the low mileage exhaust for an performance one. The immaculate wheels were often changed as were the tyres. Then if I'm tracking it, take out all that immaculate interior replaced with nothing, then that lovely low mileage immaculate bodywork, I'd batter it on a track with the increase possibility of binning it. Never had much of my immaculate low mileage car left plus the premium money I spent for the low mileage immaculate car, I've lost cause I've modded it anyway!!

So people have paid premium money for parts they have no intention to use anyway?

Each to their own I guess.....Cat D turd for me everytime

M3 wouldn't be a project anyway, I mean Ohlins and AP's are just basic so you still want everything else to be mint, I just couldn't love a car that wasn't mint tbh.
If I was buying a proper project car, say an S2000 - then yeah I'd settle on say possibly even an older AP1 and go a bit higher on the mileage knowing it'd be stripped and tuned etc. However I'd still be fussy on condition and number of previous owners etc!

Anyway I think I'm going to say **** it and order a K20 and LSD box tomorrow....., only one way to find out if it'll fit! Always shift them on if not, should be in fairly high demand.

Jeepers! The more I read the more this intrigues me! I admire what you're doing but can't help but think that you're going to end up with a car you will never be able to sell. Might be cheaper in the long run to buy something else closer to what you want and do some minor mods. That said fair play to you for your imagination and I wish you well with the project. You'll certainly end up with something special.

My only real costs are my Three or four Spa trips a year but do not have the time skill or money to buy project car but nice project buddy

Jeepers! The more I read the more this intrigues me! I admire what you're doing but can't help but think that you're going to end up with a car you will never be able to sell. Might be cheaper in the long run to buy something else closer to what you want and do some minor mods. That said fair play to you for your imagination and I wish you well with the project. You'll certainly end up with something special.

In our country we have a saying for a projects/cars like these (it applies on my car too): "Married with the car". You just don't think about the resell value because you'll never brake even, not even close.
But if it makes the owner smile every time he sees and/or drives the car - it's worth it.

In our country we have a saying for a projects/cars like these (it applies on my car too): "Married with the car". You just don't think about the resell value because you'll never brake even, not even close.
But if it makes the owner smile every time he sees and/or drives the car - it's worth it.

Agree. I love project cars. Like every marriage though if it's not working it's time to separate and move on. I love this project and the more FI cars being built, the more I'd actually like to build another NA.

Well I've bought a 29k mile K20Z4. Has the RSP head so is a good one to use and being from an FN2 has DBW so stands the best chance of being simpler on the wiring I have already.

Also got all the ancillaries attached plus driveshafts, gear selector cables and starter etc :smiley:

Hopefully have a late spec LSD box coming too!

And if it doesn't fit.....I'll put it in the back of an Elise so at least it's not wasted lol!

Like like like. Well done mate. I was a passenger in many Honda Elise/exige examples and I have to say they are simply mental..

Yep my son is like screw the Clio just do the Elise! But like Rene says - I'm married to this Clio :lol:

Decided my new garage plan is a K20 Clio for daily and K20 Elise for track, not right away but it's my new aspiration over say a single E92 approach.

Success! A late 21k mile FN2 box from a 2011 car is on it's way - after about April 2010 the FN2 box got the Honda LSD so was worth the premium for.

Will work out cheaper than buying an early box and Mfactory LSD etc.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cliosport-carl Spotted 0
Zeezal Projects/Progress Threads 7
tkoh12 Clios For Sale 0
CL10 PAZ Spotted 0
tkoh12 Spotted 0