Megane gearbox

Sean I'm sure I read somewhere that the meggy box is longer and won't fit the Clio, and that was one of the main reasons for not using it.

I could be talking complete bull though mate lol

that cant be right, cos the megane engine fits str8 into the clio with the megane gear box, so it cant be that much bigger if any

EEEEEK!! I hope it fits.

Just wondering....why are you trying? Whats the benefit?

The 5 weeks I spent with my car at 250hp I learned the gearbox (1st revision) is a huge limiting factor, the gears are just way too short requiring too much shifting and keeping the rpms too high. My box also feels like its on it's way out, couple of syncs have gone, it's done 37k.

The Megane box has longer ratios and is stronger.

In short The Clio Engine now has the characteristics of the Megane (without the torque lumps)

The 5 weeks I spent with my car at 250hp I learned the gearbox (1st revision) is a huge limiting factor, the gears are just way too short requiring too much shifting and keeping the rpms too high. My box also feels like its on it's way out, couple of syncs have gone, it's done 37k.

The Megane box has longer ratios and is stronger.

In short The Clio Engine now has the characteristics of the Megane (without the torque lumps)

I see! Well sounds like a worthwhile effort to get it in and fitted to me!

37k on the other box....i hope mine doesnt go at 37k lol im on 28k and feels nice?!

With conversions like this, the usual route is to fit the donor shifter cables and shifter itself to the new car. It's usually just a case of making a suitable mounting plate which will mount the shifter housing to the shell.

With conversions like this, the usual route is to fit the donor shifter cables and shifter itself to the new car. It's usually just a case of making a suitable mounting plate which will mount the shifter housing to the shell.

! Brain Scrambled ! So your saying find a "breaking" 225/230 and buy all of the other bits and bobs. Once i've got that make a mounting plate.......*stroking chin :thumbup1:

Right mate u have 25 to 30 mm in length to play with and width is very tight i would have took a picture but my phone was dead :worried: hope this helps

Hi, i had to have a new gearbox just before christmas, took the car to tameside transmissions n they put a megane gearbox in mine !!

Hi, i had to have a new gearbox just before christmas, took the car to tameside transmissions n they put a megane gearbox in mine !!
Out of a 225 mate? What is the difference of how your car drives now with the longer ratios? Any better at motorway cruising now mpg and revs wise?

its defo a megane box u can tell the difference straight away on the motorway, especially revs wise, quieter and smoother !

The 200's 'box has higher 5th/6th ratios - sure it isn't one of them?

Be nice if you can just pick up a Megane's diff'd box and slot it in though, it'll be half the price of the Quaife alone!

Im desperate for a R26 diff, i only need it for one race weekend as my gripper isnt ready yet. If anyone has a gearbox with one in which they would like to load (for cash) let me know. :smile: (long shot!)

lol, i may not be a man and not know as much as most of the members on here but i do know it is a megane gearbox what was fitted. When TT (Tameside Transmissions) first mentioned about putting a megane gearbox in i was unsure as unlike a lot of people i haven't got a clue about gearboxes, my thoughts were the car being a clio i would need a clio gearbox, i was assured the megane gearbox would be fine and the different ratio's explained to me !!