Mike's racing blue 197

@RSRowe ive just realised you have a spigot bearing in the end of your crank. I’m 99% sure mine didn’t have one when I removed the box so I refitted the flywheel and clutch without one. Is the F4R meant to have one?

I wouldn’t worry about the spigot. Some do, some don’t.
There’s no pattern to what model years have them from what I’ve seen too.

Mine did not have one when I pulled the box, I simply bought one and put it in. For sure, some support to the input shaft won't hurt :smile:

Reactions: Miked5
Decided to order a spigot bearing and flywheel bolts. Not worth the risk of snapping the bolts like RSRowe and having to drop the box again.
I don't think the input shaft actually reaches the crank, I think it floats like the 1*2 but might be wrong?
Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 13.51.34.png

Found this in the Clio 3 service manual I got hold of, it does look like it doesn't reach the flywheel. Once I get some free time I'll try to measure it up.

Input Shaft.PNG

Reactions: LiamP
Gearbox is back!

New 3rd and 4th synchro rings, blackline LSD, new diff bearings and driveshaft seals. Garage said everything else was in good condition which isn’t bad for 101k miles. Thinking of an early trackday maybe March or April to see the difference this lsd makes, does anyone recommend any tracks close to the northeast apart from Croft. What’s Blyton park like?

DDC7B09E-88E3-4DD3-8C20-FDBCC35A023B.jpeg

Old synchro rings below, I’m not really clued up with gearboxes but the only part that looked worn was the back of 3rd gear synchro where it looks like some material has been worn off and all the teeth looked in decent condition. Couldn’t see anything visibly wrong with 4th gear.

1FD76FEF-246F-4E1A-8942-62812A294A6E.jpeg

Decided to cut the rusty legs off my radiator support, the decision was made because of 2 reasons:
  1. Excessively high price for a new support
  2. I can’t weld! A lot of people buy the standard Clio support and weld the RS radiator bracket on
I saw someone had done it on either this forum or Facebook and thought great idea, later on in the day I then thought the mot man wouldn’t take kindly to my butchery so decided to tidy it up a bit and give it a lick off primer and paint. I read somewhere the legs are mainly there for support when in an accident and because I’ll be using this mainly as a track car and occasional weekend car I thought I’d get rid. A bottom arm change will now be a piece of p*ss

168D8BF8-8396-45D7-B466-47343EFF8A83.jpeg

6E552CB4-520B-4612-A0F8-90EF8E8E7A1A.jpeg

4EF28BDB-0BF8-4557-8EA1-906DA6037FEE.jpeg

Reactions: EthanMenace
I’ve done a supercar day there but it only had about 4 corners at the time! Seem to remember it resembling a big concrete airstrip they’ve turned into a circuit.

Croft doesn’t have a lot of dates for the year so I think I’ll give it a go, my mate has just bought a fn2 so at least I won’t be on my own. I’ll have my work cut out to keep up with him mind hopefully the lsd will help

Yeah on the face of it, it looks pretty shite. But I always have a good time there.
They’re recently resurfaced it and also done the road into the venue which was like the surface of the moon before.

Donington isn’t too much further south if you’re NE. It is more suited to stuff with power though.

Just a thought while removing the flywheel to fit the new bolts, should this be timed up in a certain way? e.g. engine at TDC and FW in a certain position. I've noticed there is a mag sensor on the gearbox which lines up with the flywheel teeth so assume it will need timing but the crank or FW isn't dowelled or pinned and I can't see anywhere in the service manual where it says to time it up in a certain way. Can anyone confirm either way?