Mike's racing blue 197

Everything went smoothly with the refitting of the gearbox, a helping hand from my dad was welcomed! Hardest part was remembering which bolt hole the studs went in lol

Glad I fitted the pilot bearing in the end, by my rough measurements the input shaft would sit in the bearing. The input shaft protrudes the gearbox face (where it meets the block) by 5mm and the rear of the crank protrudes back towards the gearbox about 5mm aswell so the shaft should engage I reckon.

C9279446-9655-4034-B277-40D95A8D0A9B.jpeg

6B1E0708-23BD-404F-B489-65AD273718A8.jpeg

Subframe sat ready to go back in, that’s the next job. Steering column with fresh inner and outer rods and I managed to snap up a 200 cup anti roll bar for £20 on eBay, this is the 21mm one and I added the race power flex bushes. Hopefully stop a bit of body roll but I’m not expecting a big difference.

59B149EC-DEC0-474E-AC61-9F1B7C76452F.jpeg

Making some good progress now!

Managed to get the subframe fitted today, it would have been easier with another hand from my dad but I managed with a trolley jack either side. Because of the awkward shape it took a few attempts to get the jacks positioned so I could lift the subframe flat but got there in the end.

The subframe mounts at the front have definitely looked in better condition but I’ve read on the Facebook groups they are a nightmare to get hold of with most people getting sent the wrong ones. With this in mind I’ve just fitted the old ones for now but if anyone knows where to get some please let me know.

IMG_9492.jpeg

Reactions: VeiRoNv2
Aircon pump leaking, looks like it’s from the body itself. I had noticed this was leaking last year so I cleaned it all up before removing the box and the leak is back without the engine even firing.

Has anyone take the AC pump apart? I imagine it’s just a o-ring that’s started leaking but could be wrong.

Hopefully I can find a 2nd hand one at a reasonable price. I’ll probably ask in the Facebook groups in the next few weeks there seems to always be people breaking 197/200’s.

IMG_9487.jpeg

Thats coolant most likely the metal pipe behind on the front of the engine this is not a 197 engine but the pipe is the same Renault coolant is that colour for this reason.

1708983208274.png
1708983141276.png
1708983361431.png

Passenger side nearly finished just the caliper and disk to fit now. Ran a tap down the threads in the hub before I fit some studs I ordered from supreme motorsport. Should make it a lot easier refitting the wheels now.

I’m leaving the driver side suspension out atm because I’m hoping to borrow/rent some cam timing tools to change the cam belt. Just gives a little extra room to work with without the damper and hub fitted.

One thing I did notice is the droplink is under a lot of stress at the damper end, it’s making me think have I ordered the right one now. I think even when it’s sat on it’s wheels it won’t fix the angle.

IMG_9538.jpeg

There was a bit of slop in the top mount bolt holes I might try loosening them to re-adjust, it seems to me like the damper needs spinning clockwise to better align the top of the droplink

Odd. Put some weight on it, I'm sure it'll be ok.

My only worry is no washers behind the nuts, but I'm VERY pedantic about stuff like that.

There was a bit of slop in the top mount bolt holes I might try loosening them to re-adjust, it seems to me like the damper needs spinning clockwise to better align the top of the droplink
I dont think you can change the position of the strut? As it locks into the hub,I dont know if thats what you mean.