197: New car coming - 197 Ownership tips pls.

Hi,

Picking up my wife's new to us 2008 plate 197 Cup (with 48k miles) on Saturday and wondered if there were any words of wisdom from current owners about general ownership.

Having owned modified/ turbo charged cars I always warm and cool and engine with no enthusiastic driving till at least 10mins of use and always drive easy for the last 5 mins of my journey before cooling on the driveway. I have read on here that from cold, gear changes can be a little bit stiff and im fine with that as it was exactly the same with my Scooby.

Cars are always regularly serviced with premium oil and high Ron petrol.

Please dont shoot me for saying this but i gotta ask having never owned a Renault. The RS Cup is marketed as a fast road/ track day tool with glowing reviews in the motoring press, hence my reason for purchasing one. I take it that once warmed, bar the chocolate gearbox the rest of the engine is up to the purpose? Im not saying that I will rag the pants of it, just that I do enjoy the odd spirited drive when the conditions and circumstances allow.

Any tips/advice would be appreciated.

Fishy

The gearbox's do need time to warm up yes and unfortunately I would say they are the only cars downfall. The car is pretty much set for track from the go but obviously there are many things you can do to enhance the already great setup.

First things to check when you pickup the car are the drainage area's underneath the scuttle panel as potentially the drains can block and lead to electrical damage that cost a fair bit to repair. Brakes I would assume you have checked? Gearbox work if its had any.

Hi it's only a fiver to join but the Clio only comes alive at over 5500rpm so you need to rag it to make it sing you Know the little problems our little baby's have but it's Down to luck just enjoy it

drive it hard and it will be one of th most fun cars you will ever drive and welcome to the club :thumbup:

Yeah - must admit I was smiling from ear to ear after my test drive. Cant wait to pick it up. 60 mile journey home - but might make it 85 using the back roads :smile:

Checked the brakes, play in the suspension and all seemed fine. Gearbox seemed tight and there was no mention in the paperwork of work being done.

Sorry what are and where do I find the Scuttle panels?

Do yourself a favour and take the back way home :wink:.

Great car out of the box and I'm sure you'll enjoy it :smile:.

Welcome mate. Don't worry about the engine at all, just keep it on the redline and enjoy it.

Same with the gearbox, obviously not all of them fail and tbh if it's going to go it'll go no matter how you drive it. You can get a second hand for around £300 so not such a big deal. What is not mentioned it that the 197/200 gearbox is a peach to use. Short throw, tight, precise and smooth (when up to temperature). Also - as you've probably noticed - the ratio helps keep the engine on the boil. Love it:smile:

Great cars, they drive like a go-kart, so much fun! rev matching helps save the gear box and clutch. When you get the car, get the pins out of the brembo's and check the pads havent corroded into the caliper (Common problem) then get some new design pins off this site.

Welcome mate. You will not be disappointed -fact on my 3rd renaultsport clio and had them for a total of 10 half years, always well maintained them bud and not had any major issues with the engines. They were made for a spirited drive lol.

[MENTION=4138]GW200Jay[/MENTION] Sort your manner out or you'll be sacked off, you've provided no help on the forum since joining apart from try to get other members to bite to your replies.

Having chopped in a highly tuned Prodive Impreza 4 years ago for a Disco when my family started growing, I dont think I have overtaken a car since.

The Disco is an amazing bit of kit off road, and like driving a sofa on road, however i cant wait to get the buzz back of driving something raw.

Lol - Mrs gave me her wish list - I would like a white car and ive always wanted a clio.... ha ha the Cup was the compramise 8)

I found (as many of us do) changing the gearbox oil improved the feel (there are many threads on this) The colour of the oil in mine after 25k miles looked like used engine oil. For the sake of £20-30 it was a no brainer for me.

Lee