Our Intake

Before...
IMG_1048_zps7f247c44.jpg
After...
IMG_1361_zpsd7752f34.jpg
IMG_1359_zps84d6db9d.jpg
No more tight intake bend and no major obstruction to to the airbox. Exhaust note has livened up too.
Paying with wiring and making up brackets is out of my skill range so I had a shop do the work...love their work :clap:

56a23598117e867d6ddb9281c0c51e27.jpg I've got a ram air filter, I've used the existing silicone hoses with it, and I'm currently in the process of making a heat shield.. It will hopefully be a better design than the Ktec one.. I've done this because making things is more fun than buying somthing and just fitting it

Reactions: Schubi200RS
I don't like the idea of an open cone filter in the engine bay (especially so close to the exhaust manifold) when it comes to N/A engines.
Turbo engines with proper IC's are a whole different ball game.

Hi Guys? I noticed my acoustic valve is open when the car is off? Should it not be closed?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi Guys? I noticed my acoustic valve is open when the car is off? Should it not be closed?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Even if it's open all the time, I don't think it will make any issues in driving feel because (I think) it can't influence the performance.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Anyone know if the vacuum pipe used on the Acoustic valve is 4mm ID with 8mm OD, or 5mm ID with 10 OD.

Wanna order some coloured stuff from the bay. THINK its the 5mm/10mm combo ???

Before...
IMG_1048_zps7f247c44.jpg
After...
IMG_1361_zpsd7752f34.jpg
IMG_1359_zps84d6db9d.jpg
No more tight intake bend and no major obstruction to to the airbox. Exhaust note has livened up too.
Paying with wiring and making up brackets is out of my skill range so I had a shop do the work...love their work :clap:

Were is that pipe from entering the airbox?, its got a much softer curve than the almost L elbows of norm?

Acoustic Valve removed.

New cold air feed; directed from down under headlight and fed straight into airbox via some silicone couplers and aluminium pipework. (Which is readily available on ebay)

IMG_4976%201_zps6aotku6b.jpg

IMG_5482_zpsllfanicc.jpg

But does it work?

Acoustic valve doesnt open until 5(?)k. And when it does open its then forced to suck in warmish air as it sits fairly well in the middle of the bay.

This 'modded' feed is fed from a stream of cold air under the headlight and with acoustic valve binned - and is open all the time. So that alone makes everything extremely promising on paper.

My mapper never had any bad words about it, and this with a couple of other small mods showed a good increase when it was re-mapped for the second time.

**Although i never directly and scientifically compared this to the standard factory set-up.

Coupled with a map though - i cannot see how it can possibly be "worse" when all i'm doing is providing a better feed of colder air to the standard airbox set-up. (**Bar panel filter).

Acoustic valve doesnt open until 5(?)k. And when it does open its then forced to suck in warmish air as it sits fairly well in the middle of the bay.

This 'modded' feed is fed from a stream of cold air under the headlight and with acoustic valve binned - and is open all the time. So that alone makes everything extremely promising on paper.

My mapper never had any bad words about it, and this with a couple of other small mods showed a good increase when it was re-mapped for the second time.

**Although i never directly and scientifically compared this to the standard factory set-up.

Coupled with a map though - i cannot see how it can possibly be "worse" when all i'm doing is providing a better feed of colder air to the standard airbox set-up. (**Bar panel filter).
Tbh I've never looked into the standard breather setup, so hopefully this will be giving you a nice improvement.

I know that the best areas to take a cold air feed from are areas like the scuttle panel - for the same reason that all manufacturers take their heater feed from there.

It would mean some surgery on the 197/200 though to get a feed from there.

Fog light feeds aren't worth a wank as the air generally 'spills' around them and takes the path of least resistance.

Acoustic Valve removed.

New cold air feed; directed from down under headlight and fed straight into airbox via some silicone couplers and aluminium pipework. (Which is readily available on ebay)

View attachment 102594

View attachment 102595

Quick question as im confused yet again lol.

is this whole thing the acoustic valve? http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j253/Clang182/Image0101.jpg

i've read all the acoustic valve threads (most of the images seem dead though). Im confused as some seem to just take this whole thing off and either route a new cold air feed to block some hose off? And others mention the acoustic valve being under the passenger wheel arch on the same bracket as the horn?

Quick question as im confused yet again lol.

is this whole thing the acoustic valve? http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j253/Clang182/Image0101.jpg

i've read all the acoustic valve threads (most of the images seem dead though). Im confused as some seem to just take this whole thing off and either route a new cold air feed to block some hose off? And others mention the acoustic valve being under the passenger wheel arch on the same bracket as the horn?

Yes, that's the whole acoustic valve. On my Mk3, I removed the plastic assembly (held by 2 nuts - careful you don't drop them in the engine bay!) and blanked off the remaining vacuum pipe with a bolt. I'm not aware of anything else referred to as the valve, so not sure on the horn/liner thing.

in the pic attached, you removed the highlighted part labelled Number 1?
Then block off the wee pipe labelled Number 2?

Sorry if this is all sounding stupid, don't want to get it wrong lol

Attachments

• Acoustic_Valve.jpg
    Acoustic_Valve.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 111