Review & video 200 with silencer removed page 3

Hi guys,

After some advice.
Already used the search option but couldn't find what I was after.

For all of you with a 2.0 200 with standard system and silencer removed, how loud is it really?

Youtube videos suggest it's crazy loud??

I have mins as a daily but all my other cars are a bit more, erm, 'vocal' and I wanted a bit more of a sporty purr without spending money on a new system.

It's having a remap soon so I thought maybe try the old silencer removed option and remap after.

How loud is it? I don't want every rudeboy trying to race, just a bit more rasp and noise if I put my foot down properly. Just not intrusive for motorway or town driving.

Help :smile:

Last edited:
Are you talking about a centre silencer?

I have a 197 but have had mine removed (on a standard system). It does introduce a rasp and the occasional pops (more so when cold) but to be honest its nothing to get excited about. On the motorway it does increase noise/drone substantionally.

I replaced mine as it was blowing around the centre box itself, or else i probably wouldnt have bothered.

I don't have the silencer removed myself, but it seems some people like it, others aren't too keen. It's a cheap mod though.

The standard exhausts aren't the loudest in the world, especially if you're used to a erm...,V10 R8 :tongue_smilie:

I had in mind to take off the back box and leave the first and middle converter catalyst as they are... Just saying its an option( didnt try)

Last edited:
Not much louder, certainly not crazy loud, personally dislike the sound of it removed, sounds tinny, not nice at all.

I would imagine v.loud.

My mate had a scoob and took it to Cobra who did that for him, it was insanely loud

I had my silencer removed and the difference is like night and day. The car pops,bangs,spits and gurgles :smiley: I find myself opening the windows just to hear it. Turns heads too when I downshift and lift off a 4-5k

Yes, long box in the middle after both the primary and secondary cats. Just before the backbox

Yes, long box in the middle after both the primary and secondary cats. Just before the backbox

That's the one I mean. Is it really loud? I've seen videos on YouTube so I know of what kind of tone to expect but it's my daily so I don't want it too loud when I'm doing longer journeys.

Driving around town it's not that bad actually if you keep it below 3000 rpm. On longer journeys it can be a pain if you're keeping it at high rpm but I do very few miles on a dual carriageway so perhaps someone who has this mod and does longer journeys could add their input? But overall, it's not that loud if you're driving sensibly.

Well i say just try it yourself ,its not expensive thing ,and what good for other doesnt mean its good for you ,all this things is individual at all [emoji89]
The only thing that would bother me is that some people say if you take off the back box/mid silencer youll get unstable revs ,and some say its not true so..[emoji16]

Last edited:
Well i say just try it yourself ,its not expensive thing ,and what good for other doesnt mean its good for you ,all this things is individual at all [emoji89]
The only thing that would bother me is that some people say if you take off the back box/mid silencer youll get unstable revs ,and some say its not true so..[emoji16]

Yea the flatspot worries me but I have been in touch with Henk from fast chip (rs tuner) and he should be able to send me a remap file that suits my (new) set up of panel filter & mid silencer removed.
Will be going ahead with this over next few days and we'll use stainless pipe and have a sleeved option for the silencer so it's changeable if I find it too loud loud . Will update with pics and videos soon.

Good job on the plan to sleeve rather than weld, easily reversible then. I didnt notice any change to the flat spot.

I had this done and I am on the motorway every day. Personally I find it fine, and it sounds a lot better in my opinion. Certainly not intrusive inside the car.

I had this done and I am on the motorway every day. Personally I find it fine, and it sounds a lot better in my opinion. Certainly not intrusive inside the car.

Sounds good! Got it booked in with Longlife exhausts tomorrow morning. Will update with video. I'm guessing it will take a little while to bed in and sound good?