Running in period?

Got a 200 cup almost 3 weeks ago, and done almost 600 miles. Been taking it easy and changing up gear at 3,000, and now and again at 3,500 revs. I'm no car expert, but when can I start to take it further, 4,000, 5,000, 6,000 and all the way to 7,500 revs? I've read different things on various sites. When I picked it up I was told there was no "running in" period. Appreciate any advice.

I'd look in the manual as that is most likely to tell you. But when i bought my Campus from new it was 1500 miles until it was run in and the manual said to not take it above 3500 rpm. But if you steadily increase the rpm after that then that's best.

And when I come looking on this and similar forums for a used 200 I will be looking at posts where the owners have thrashed their cars from new. You are doing the right thing taking it easy for the first K.

it's all about varying the revs don't keep it pinned to 3000 etc as this can glaze the bearings. tolerances are so much better now that running in periods are not really an issue a steady run in for the first 600 then it should be ok for short blasts take it easy for the first 1500, do an oil change then it should be fine, don't forget these engines are not really bedded in for at least 20,000 miles.

We ran ours in to the owners manual and ours puts out good power. As minimaxs says just start to get a bit higher with it every few hundred miles. The engine in the Clio takes ages to loosen up btw, ours is on 21k and is still a bit tight lol

So as a general rule...

<600 mls 3000rpm
600-700 mls 4000rpm
700-800 mls 5000rpm
800-900 mls 6000rpm
900-1000 mls 7000rpm
1000-1100 mls 7500rpm

As ill be doing 300 miles a month its going to be nearly 4 months until I can track it! Which will be in december! Damn it!

I can see some long drives just to get the run in period over asap

So as a general rule...

<600 mls 3000rpm
600-700 mls 4000rpm
700-800 mls 5000rpm
800-900 mls 6000rpm
900-1000 mls 7000rpm
1000-1100 mls 7500rpm

As ill be doing 300 miles a month its going to be nearly 4 months until I can track it! Which will be in december! Damn it!

Get it out on track, mine was on track just after 600 miles.

It makes good power on my local RR too!

I ran mine in with increases every 100 miles like your suggesting I just started a bit earlier :lol:

So as a general rule...

<600 mls 3000rpm
600-700 mls 4000rpm
700-800 mls 5000rpm
800-900 mls 6000rpm
900-1000 mls 7000rpm
1000-1100 mls 7500rpm

i would say yes, but remember only short blasts, not for ages and I wouldn't make it your aim to rev it to these every time you go out. As most people are saying, the time you spend running it in is no where near as long as the amount of enjoyment you will get from it after the period. So just run it in nicely and you will enjoy it for longer and it will be better!

I did 600miles taking it steady but with a sprint through the mid range gears every 100 or so, as its just as important to run the extreme end of the rev range in too.

Started to give it more beans up till 1500miles then changed the oil.... then thrashed it like a loon lol

cant see how this affects the engines.. sure cars that are used as demos usually arn't even warmed up fully before some twonk gives it the beans and you don't often hear of demo cars having major issues

Balls to the running in. Don't abuse it by all means but there's nothing wrong with exploring the upper reaches of the rev counter occasionally. The theory being that doing so early in the engine's life will help bed in the piston rings.

I did it within the 1st 20miles and mine doesn't use a drop and is a reasonably quick example.

Way more crucial imo is that you DO NOT sit at constant revs in the cars early life for prolonged periods of time. If you can't avoid d/c or motorways then try and vary the revs. I would drop to 5th for a bit, knock a few mph off, add a few on etc. Constant revs will glaze the bores and do you no favours at all.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Now that I have 600 miles on it, I think I will start to push a bit more every now and then, and even more as the miles go on. I'm fortunate in that I do not need to drive on motorways, or d/cs, and so the revs have been varying on every drive (although between 0 and 3,500). I checked the driver's handbook and could not find any mention of running in.

How to treat a new engine is an interesting topic.

I read on one site (for a mini cooper s) that the ECU is in "learning mode" for the first 1.5K (?)

Balls to the running in. Don't abuse it by all means but there's nothing wrong with exploring the upper reaches of the rev counter occasionally. The theory being that doing so early in the engine's life will help bed in the piston rings.

I did it within the 1st 20miles and mine doesn't use a drop and is a reasonably quick example.

Way more crucial imo is that you DO NOT sit at constant revs in the cars early life for prolonged periods of time. If you can't avoid d/c or motorways then try and vary the revs. I would drop to 5th for a bit, knock a few mph off, add a few on etc. Constant revs will glaze the bores and do you no favours at all.

Good answer :smile:

Quote from Renault Clio (normal handbook not Renault Sport so I'm assuming it covers both). In the begining of the Renault Sport Clio Handbook it states:

'The information contained in this document supersedes and/or complements the main driver's handbook'

The handbook says:

'For the first 600 miles (100 km), do not exceed 78 mph (103km/h) in the highest gear, or 300 to 3500 rpm.

After 600 miles (100 km) you may use your vehicle normally. However, it is only after 1800 miles (3000km) have been covered that you may reasonably expect full performance.'

This is for the 197, but I would imagine it is the same for the 200.

The engine has been bedded in at the factory,no need for any other running in.those guidelines are more to do with allowing the brakes and clutch to bed in.press cars and demo cars are hammered from the word go.any defect in the engine will show up in the first few hundred miles so softly softly approach will mean any defect will be prolonged.

I've done a bit of reading into this in anticipation of my 200 arriving in August. Based on numerous articles and experience of friends with performance cars, I'll not be sticking to the 600 mile 3500rpm limit.

Apparently the first 20 miles are the most important and you should use the full rev range of the car in 2nd, 3rd and 4th regularly and also allow the car to slow down under engine braking. As others have said, avoid driving at constant revs in any gear. After full throttle acceleration you should then drive at half throttle for 5-10mins then go again. This should mean you get a good seal on the piston rings and the engine will be a very light oil user.

This is just based on doing some reading in to it, I'd recommend doing the same and then making your own mind up :smile: I may change my mind before it arrives!

I remebered when I got my Fiesta ST... first 70km I used her good... then for 500km I varied revs and also high gear high uphill... after that... open kettles!
That was a little torque monster...

So it varies so much.. each to their own...

With my 197 I got her with 6000km on the odo... but had the ECU reset... drove her with low revs... that really build the ECU to give better low down...

I do not believe drivnig totally like a gran will make difference except make ECU lazy...
dont thrash it but take her to different highs and lows and differnt inclines / declines...

play with her a little why you get to know her as well :smiley:

Thinking about it as well, it is probably just as important to ensure the engine is fully up to temperature before using the rev range when running the car in.

Thinking about it as well, it is probably just as important to ensure the engine is fully up to temperature before using the rev range when running the car in.

Oh absolutely. It's a case of use the revs but don't abuse it.

TBH I wouldn't have given a monkeys about abusing the engine given modern production methods. I had more concern for the 'box.