Slight knock felt through steering wheel

tchalikias

Paid Member
I've noticed a quirk on my 200 that seems to happen more and more frequently.

At very low speeds (i.e. when parking etc.), while turning the steering wheel, sometimes a slight knock can be felt through it. No noise or anything, just a knock felt on the wheel. It seems to be related to clutching - for example if I'm in 1st gear and attempting precise maneuvers which involve using the clutch a lot then the knock is more likely to manifest itself.

I'm thinking either engine or gearbox mount. What do you think? Anyone else had the same problem?

My car has just gone in for this too, as well as a gearbox problem, mine was a top and lower engine mount need replacing !!!!

Fun fun fun !

Mine is doing this when i turn the wheel slightly left or right off centre when its cold. Car has only done 13000km so it best not be mounts!!

my car has been doing it since i bought it, i was the 2nd owner bought it with 15000 kms, the dealership said its the steering rack, they replaced steering rack as well as the engine mounts..

guess what.. its still there...

i will will tell you tomorrow when i pick up the car, there still trying to find the gearbox problem !!!! so I'm stuck in a 1.2 75hp twingo

EPIC FAIL !

in response to does it fix it !!!! yeah it does! just took mine out for a little drive and it pulls away and changes gear like a dream now ! so pleased! Let the Mods start !

I think this problem is getting worse, its occurring more frequently now. Something is definitely loose up front. An inspection during servicing did not provide evidence of worn engine mounts and/or looseness in the suspension. Despite what the mechanic said, due to my experience with an older Megane II, I'm 99% sure its one or more of the engine mounts causing this, as with Crazirob's problem.

I will need to investigate this further...

I took my 200 to a renowned renault mechanic here in sydney, and he found that the lock nut had play in it so he tightened it and the knock went away.

He also found that a lot of the front end was loose. After a few thousand K's, once bushes and mounts have settled a lot of the bolts such as strut tops and sway bar links loosen up. He gets a full turn off the torque wrench on some of them!! Doing this restored the cars dynamics like its brand new.

Renault here in australia typically do not do this so these independent mechanics are worth their weight in gold

Interesting. Is your 200 equipped with a keycard or the traditional key? I'm asking because the steering lock is different depending on the configuration.

In your case, did the problem go away when the car warmed up?

Have you checked the track rods and track rod ends? I had a knock/play a few months ago and it was the joint that connects the column with the steering rack. Replaced under warranty. The steering became much better but there was still that small knock when turning the steering wheel. I also had the track rod replaced (bit of a play there as well) but it didn't cure it. Steering rack?I really can't see the engine mounts being the issue here...it's sounds more like steering related.

The weird thing is, there's a correlation between the knock and using the clutch. So something is moving back and forth due to increased tolerances which transfers to the steering rack...

This problem has been progressively getting worse these past few months. I'll have to leave the car at a dealer to have the front suspension/mounts checked again...:'(