Soon to be 197 owner!

Doogle

Winner - POTM March 2018
Hey guys and girls,

I am hopefully going to be a new Clio 197 owner very soon, soon to be coming away from several years of diesel BMWs and VWs.

My first car was a Renault 5 Campus in Midnight blue and test driving a Clio 197 for the first time it reminded me of the 5. They have a lot of character and I was very impressed by how it handled.

I have approximately £5k to spend, I am wanting a full fat model with cruise control, climate control, steering wheel control and ideally Recaros, Xenons and Cup suspension. I have also decided that Racing blue is my colour of choice and from looking I have a tall order on my hands! F1's seem to fit the bill but are rare and having done research finding one with a good service history and generous owners seems to be key.

I look forward to hopefully finding out more and enjoying ownership.

Can I ask what the rules are with regards to classifieds, is it a certain amount of posts or paid menbership?

Doug

Good luck with the hunt mate. Take your time and you'll find a nice one with a £5k budget:french:

Cheers chaps, Ill look into paying.

Xenons seems to be the sticking point and the one I am most willing to drop. Projectors would be nice, even with decent bulbs the light output should still be good.

I am a tinkerer, I have modified every car I have had. I am looking at what people do and theres a fair amount of choice but likewise the intention for this car is to have something that I wont spend masses on modifications and really just keep it running well and looking clean.

Welcome to the forum, Doug!

If an F1 is what you want, then it's worth taking the time looking for one that fits your requirements - the same goes for any good example of a 197; the really good ones can be trickier to find, as there are a lot of mediocre ones out there. Patience is the key, but well worth it when you find the one that ticks all the right boxes. Best of luck in your search.

We're a helpful bunch, so please ask away if you have any questions!

Welcome to the forum, Doug!

If an F1 is what you want, then it's worth taking the time looking for one that fits your requirements - the same goes for any good example of a 197; the really good ones can be trickier to find, as there are a lot of mediocre ones out there. Patience is the key, but well worth it when you find the one that ticks all the right boxes. Best of luck in your search.

We're a helpful bunch, so please ask away if you have any questions!

Thanks very much! I have been hunting for roughly a month and its interesting to see the good ones go really quickly, the basic ones are still around. I'm lining up a few for viewing soon.

Reactions: Jimmy
Feel free to post links to any ads you like the look of, we'd be more than happy to help out with opinions and pointers.

Cheers Jimmy, theres a few around I am currently keeping my eye on, a few maybe on here.

First is an R27 in Racing blue, 93k, full engine rebuild by Northampton Motorsport 3k ago due to cambelt snapping. Recaros, projectors, climate control, original apart from black badges, decat, black interior and alloy gear knob.

Only problem is the owner is unsure if he wants to sell it. If he does, hes told me around £4500.

received_120332000400564754.jpeg

Next up is a Racing blue 'full fat' thats been heavily modified. 75k, belts done last year, full service history, standard seats and projectors. Lowered, different wheels, chin spoiler, exhaust, etc. Its had a lot of money spent on it but is a bit heavy on the modification for me so if I bought it Id be looking at removing lots of bits. £4995, but sounds like heater/fan resistor has gone as only works on setting 4.

FB_IMG_1493789586497.jpg

Theres a few on eBay and Autotrader but not racing blue and I am really struck with the colour!

Albi blue 200
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201705055144621?atmobcid=soc3

Alien green 200
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201705035044236?atmobcid=soc3

Black 197
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201704224690782?atmobcid=soc3

Cheers Jimmy, theres a few around I am currently keeping my eye on, a few maybe on here.

First is an R27 in Racing blue, 93k, full engine rebuild by Northampton Motorsport 3k ago due to cambelt snapping. Recaros, projectors, climate control, original apart from black badges, decat, black interior and alloy gear knob.

Only problem is the owner is unsure if he wants to sell it. If he does, hes told me around £4500.

View attachment 18973

Next up is a Racing blue 'full fat' thats been heavily modified. 75k, belts done last year, full service history, standard seats and projectors. Lowered, different wheels, chin spoiler, exhaust, etc. Its had a lot of money spent on it but is a bit heavy on the modification for me so if I bought it Id be looking at removing lots of bits. £4995, but sounds like heater/fan resistor has gone as only works on setting 4.

View attachment 18974

Theres a few on eBay and Autotrader but not racing blue and I am really struck with the colour!

Albi blue 200
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201705055144621?atmobcid=soc3

Alien green 200
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201705035044236?atmobcid=soc3

Black 197
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201704224690782?atmobcid=soc3

Interesting, the R27 sounds very much like a member's on here.... It certainly fits the bill with regards the engine rebuild etc. Lovely car, if so.

Interesting, the R27 sounds very much like a member's on here.... It certainly fits the bill with regards the engine rebuild etc. Lovely car, if so.

Its Jasons picture for sure.

He was loving it. Then was getting a van. Then was talking of new steering wheel and Akra exhaust. And now its potentially for sale.

I'm confused ! Like him :smile:

Jason. Where art though ?

Reactions: Pav
There is an albi blue F1 in the classifieds at very strong money but only 50k, needs lots more pics tbh but if it's mint it's worth a look if there's a bit of movement on the price!

Its Jasons picture for sure.

He was loving it. Then was getting a van. Then was talking of new steering wheel and Akra exhaust. And now its potentially for sale.

I'm confused ! Like him :smile:

Jason. Where art though ?

I had a strong suspicion it was, just didn't want to put him in the spotlight, as he hadn't mentioned it! For sure, a nice car though! Definitely confused here, too - where is the man to shed some light on this :smile:

Yeh his name is Jason, I hope he dosent mind me posting a photo up! It is really nice and I am hoping he sells but I dont think he wants to :think:

Guilty! I have been considering selling, considering a new exhaust, considering a work van, considering, contemplating.
I dont think I can justify selling it as it's going in to NMS soon for some love and tinkering and I do love it a lot. The only problem for me is it's becoming more and more impractical for me, I don't have a drive way or a garage, wondering if it's safe takes a lot of my time and general peace of mind, it's a grind. However i've had a tough journey with this car, it cost me than its worth in the first 4 weeks of owning it, it owes me some good times, more good times.

Reactions: LOCKE and Jimmy
So, in light of Jason keeping his and not wanting a heavily modified car, I have kept looking and found a tidy Albi blue 2007 197. Full fat with climate, Recaros, Cup spoiler, Xenons, minus Cup dampers. It does have Eibach springs and K&N panel filter. Mileage is a tad high at 106k but seems well looked after, £3450.

What do people think?

Attachments

• 20170508_231108.png
    20170508_231108.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
It does sound like a decent one, with a good spec. Mileage is to be expected really, I think a lot of 197s, especially the earlier ones, will be getting on for around that anyway simply because of their age. As always, make sure the service history is full and complete. It will be due for the second set of belts this year - so check they've either been done, or bear that in mind when agreeing on a final price.

Best of luck, hope it turns out to be a good one.