Squeaky Clutch

Once again I have to take my car out of the garage for something to crop up, just put my car in for an MOT at Ness Motors Elgin, car passed with flying colours but now my clutch is squeaking when I depress it.

Any tips?

ATE Superblue, perhaps?

That old chestnut.

Why does ATE superblue in particular cause a squeeky clutch pedal? Is it not just coincidence? Plenty with squeeky pedal on ATE or another fluid (mine was squeeking on standard fluid, still squeeking on ATE), and people have posted who are on ATE with no squeek. Isn't it just that ATE is a popular and cheap upgraded fluid across the board - hence the coincidence?

Unless someone can explain why ATE in particular is causing this squeek?

Otherwise it's just pretty poor inconsistent circumstantial me lud.

I am hoping his response to my question is a 'no'.

This way we can disregard the apparent lack of lubrication with ATE and move on to a different cause - say, letting air into the system. It's very easy to do with the shape of our reservoirs...

I now think it is likely to be coincidence, it seems to be fairly split between those whose squeak and those that don't.

It would be nice to know what is causing it though! It always appears to be after a fluid change.......

I now think it is likely to be coincidence, it seems to be fairly split between those whose squeak and those that don't.

It would be nice to know what is causing it though! It always appears to be after a fluid change.......

Did you do the fluid change yourself? I did, and I'm 99% sure I let air into the system - perhaps this is the cause?

Did you do the fluid change yourself? I did, and I'm 99% sure I let air into the system - perhaps this is the cause?

I'm fairly certain that no air has been allowed into the clutch system, I have bled it too - just to be on the safe side and it's still the same.

That old chestnut.

Why does ATE superblue in particular cause a squeeky clutch pedal? Is it not just coincidence? Plenty with squeeky pedal on ATE or another fluid (mine was squeeking on standard fluid, still squeeking on ATE), and people have posted who are on ATE with no squeek. Isn't it just that ATE is a popular and cheap upgraded fluid across the board - hence the coincidence?

Unless someone can explain why ATE in particular is causing this squeek?

Otherwise it's just pretty poor inconsistent circumstantial me lud.

well done watson :innocent:

if air is in the system it shouldnt make it squeak - just gives a very soft and short travel pedal...

its most likely the plastic or mismatch of materials construction of the master cylinder being at fault

While the car was in for its MOT I got brake fluid changed, coolant and gearbox oil. Not sure about the ATE. Wasn't really aware there were different kinds, probably just the standard. But diffinately started after I took it out the garage :-(

if air is in the system it shouldnt make it squeak - just gives a very soft and short travel pedal...

its most likely the plastic or mismatch of materials construction of the master cylinder being at fault

Ok, what do you think of my theory of the lack of lubrication on the rubbers?

Ok, what do you think of my theory of the lack of lubrication on the rubbers?

could be but need to be careful what type of lubrication is used as it can effect the rubber seals in the master cylinder

could be but need to be careful what type of lubrication is used as it can effect the rubber seals in the master cylinder

Sorry, I should've phrased that more clearly.

I mean the lubrication provided by the fluid on the seals - perhaps the fluids we are using (not exclusively ATE) does not have enough lubricant contained within? Therefore causing the squeak?

Sorry, I should've phrased that more clearly.

I mean the lubrication provided by the fluid on the seals - perhaps the fluids we are using (not exclusively ATE) does not have enough lubricant contained within? Therefore causing the squeak?

the lubrication properties of the brake fluid isn't as important for the clutch hydraulics like it is for esp/abs equipped cars...