Steering Wheel Peeling

I realise there's probably a thousand topics about melting wheels but since this is peeling I thought a new topic was relevant.

So anyway my Cup wheel has been melting/blistering from the 10 o clock position all the way round to the 2 o clock position for months now and can be noticeably seen bubbling on particularly hot days which I've found is common and doesn't bother me too much, but today out of the blue after having been fine I noticed at the 3-4 o clock position the leather was actually peeling, little bits flaking off all rubbery and if I try I can actually peel the top layer off like its a sticker or sunburnt skin so just wondered if anyone else has had this rather than the usual melting?

Secondly, I'd always been informed the wheel melts/blisters through heat but today wasn't an overly sunny day and obviously the position that's peeled is our the way of sunlight shining into the car anyway so would sweat cause it? I sweat a bit (not overly though) and the peeled area is usually where I hold the wheel/palm of my hand touches.

Lastly what can be done about it, it's really noticeable and unsightly whereas the blistering wasn't too obvious, I'm sceptical about forking out for a new wheel and changing it over etc incase it happens again.

I've just had a one ''warranty'', I had to pay 10% - £48 but I didn't really argue because I wanted it sorted straight away. Best get on to RUK because the dealer was useless, but they sorted it no bother.

Hendy, is your clio a 200?
I have a 200 cup that is 3 years old on the 23rd but apparently only has 2 years warranty, my wheel was peeled at the 2 o'clock position when i bought it, but has been getting worse and in the last few mild days has started to peel at the 9 and 1 o'clock positions.
I'd pay £48 for a new wheel as my 182 cost £145 to get recovered
Ian..

It's not down to heat at all in my opinion.

I'm an IAM wheel shuffler so drive religiously with my hands at quarter to three. On my 200 the top layer you're referring to rippled, and then peeled exactly as you describe in the positions my hands sit, quarter to three.

Everywhere else the wheel appeared to be flawless.

I had the same problem with my 172 Cup as well.

This is one of the reasons I now drive an ST and not a 200T, I couldn't bring myself to spend £20k+ on a car knowing for absolute certain that 2-3 years down the line the steering wheel would be scrap, and depending on what dealership you talk to, Renault would/will accept little or no responsibility for it.

whats worrying is the price Renault want to charge to change the wheels and then get the customer to contribute too....

charging £400+ for what is over the counter at a maximum £200 "renaultsport" accessory is a joke even at £100 hr to fit is should be no more than £300.....:thumbdown:

Hendy, is your clio a 200?
I have a 200 cup that is 3 years old on the 23rd but apparently only has 2 years warranty, my wheel was peeled at the 2 o'clock position when i bought it, but has been getting worse and in the last few mild days has started to peel at the 9 and 1 o'clock positions.
I'd pay £48 for a new wheel as my 182 cost £145 to get recovered
Ian..

Yeah it's a 200 cup with the ordinary "Dynamique" leather wheel not the Chunky FF wheel.

Tempted to get it retrimmed in quality leather as a new oem one will just go the same way in a year or so.

Yeah it's a 200 cup with the ordinary "Dynamique" leather wheel not the Chunky FF wheel.

Tempted to get it retrimmed in quality leather as a new oem one will just go the same way in a year or so.

Isn't the cup wheel found on cups only??

Funny how everybody calls it a leather wheel, if it was thgis thread wouldn't exist!

On a more serious note, this is our fifth Clio Sport, but i'm considering buying a focus st next-common faults, steering wheel, racks & arms, gearbox, seats, exhaust flexis etc, did 110000 miles is a company vextra sri, one of the most slated cars atnthe time in 2000, it mine never went wrong!

My Cup definitely has a leather steering wheel which is identical to the one found in the ordinary Dynamique models. See the photo below, the stitching is clearly visible.

OK so it's clearly cheap crap leather or imitation/faux leather or It wouldn't be wrecked, but it's not plastic in the way that the base model wheels like the Authentique/Expression model are.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited: