Steves Megane conversion build - She's finally running (VIDEO inside)

UPDATE:

Another big milestone has been reached in this project, the engine is running! Oh it sounds so nice, much more meaty sound out of the 197.

Anyway, today started off with prepping the car for engine start. First on the list was to first re-connect the callipers and bleed them. They really finish of the hub assembly :smile: they were bled with ATE racing fluid, followed by a thorough washing with soapy water to remove any brake fluid residue. The ABS sensors were connected back up and the brake line bracket secured to the hub (This will be painted this week).

Next job was to temporarily attach the header tank as I havent got enough tube to locate it in its final position. I poured neat antifreeze in and then diluted with water, there is still alot of air in the system but Ill bleed that out next weekend when the car is out of the garage and can be idled for a long period of time without intoxicating me.

Now came the moment of truth. The fuel pump sender plug was removed and the engine was cranked over for 1 minute to prime the engine with oil. The oil level was now checked and topped up accordingly. Now was time to connect up the plug and go for a live start. 10 seconds of craning and it started to splutter into life, but then I had to stop due to a leaking fuel fitting, that was tightened up and i gave it another go. First go and it fired up :smile: :smile: :smile: sounds really purposeful but that may be because the downpipe is not connected to the cat back connected so it is bloody loud!

Anyway Ill let the pictures and videos do the talking. Plan is to be driving it next weekend and start running it in.

3984724A-D57E-4396-AFB3-64B63610D1B6_zpsagwl4sfh.jpg

7455A5F8-D047-4CF3-8BE2-5994AC45C6FA_zpshxjermnj.jpg

Video 1:

http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/s...-99A932820906_zpsgoti6jux.mp4.html?sort=3&o=8

Video 2:

http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/s...-89692A97D353_zpsfitbofql.mp4.html?sort=3&o=7

Thanks guys

Last edited:
UPDATE:

A little update today as its a big day tomorrow. Today I took the day off work again to get stuff done. First job on the list was to clamp all the boost pipes up and check it all links up correctly, the only problem is the fact forge havent delivered my link pipe that sits where the blow off valve normally sits, i had to use a bit of hose from work for the time being, doesnt look great but does the job. Now was time to relocate the coolant header tank, Ive used a part of the oem clio coolant pipe and it fits perfectly around the boost pipe, Ive just temporarily zip tied the tank in place until i make up a bracket. The suspension was also finished, originally i was going to use original drop links as they were in good condition, but I had a change of heart and wanted everything like new so bought some from renault parts direct, they took minutes to fit. the tracking was also eye balled so it wasnt a mile out on its first drive.

The plan is to take its first drive tomorrow evening when there isnt as much traffic, hopefully it goes well, ill update again tomorrow or sunday.

5AF5DF0E-1142-4E77-BE33-5A91DC3C370E_zpsoy0p4b79.jpg

6262DDD2-7AC6-491A-AEAB-837D30E28A3F_zps7o4uogl4.jpg

A03CCAD8-8921-48D3-976A-39D128001EA0_zpsh8nokdoa.jpg

3EBFB05B-F32F-4BB8-B15F-4467BFB034AE_zpsczzkbh5b.jpg

UPDATE:

Well i said I would update, but but its not the update i wanted. Unfortunately I didnt get to drive it this weekend we had a few issues. Well it started with finishing up the suspension, putting arch liners back in and giving all the underside another coat of paint (Its had 5 now :lol: ) topped up all the fluids, we were set to go for a run in of the engine and to bleedthe coolant. Pressed the start button and on the dash it showed "check injection" and "check esp", I ran the codes and no codes came up as they normally have to be logged 3 times to give a code. Started out by checking resistance of injectors, all okay. Then switched out coil packs and unplugged them one by one to check for misfiring, all appeared okay. People were saying to check the boost solenoid, took this out and checked on a battery, it should click when 12V is fed to it, nothing, it was dead and Im pretty sure thats what is causing the issue. I have got a new one on order but i wont get it til wednesday I doubt.

Oh well these things happen I guess when tuning, today i put the wheels back on and installed the cross brace on the subframe. The car was dropped down onto all 4 wheels and i checked that the car would actually move under its own steam in limp mode to check that the clutch and gearbox was operating as it should, it was okay.

In the week Ill hopefully install the new solenoid and the rear springs ready for another go at driving it.

F52DB784-BBC0-4C5C-895A-EA40BD4771F1_zpsbzzw3eut.jpg

3475443E-BACB-4B37-958D-854127C2020B_zpswtexhhzs.jpg

9A5F0F11-0988-49C7-BACC-A00FB13853B1_zpsuamfw1xw.jpg

FE33E5BA-660F-4495-B2A1-84C2596F55E0_zpsifxaqhim.jpg

Thanks

Shame to hear mate. So many things to check though bound for the odd thing to give you a niggle! Await for next week now!!

UPDATE:

I havent updated in a while mainly due to not much progress being made. Ive been spending every weekend endlessly trying to check sensors, wiring, fuses, relays, throttle bodies and much more bits all to no avail. The cars throttle is not responding at all, hence it will only rev to 2.5K but this is due to fueling and its running extremely rich on 1 2 and 3, number 4 is okay as its taking all the air as its closest to the throttle body. So yes pretty frustrating as its all ready to go but just electrical issues holding it back. Im hopefully going to trailer the car down to SC autos on Friday to hopefully get it up and running properly, Ill then trailer it back home and then begin running it in.

Anyway due to a leaky injector o ring I had the fuel rail out, I thought id give a go at polishing it up. 1 hour of buffing with an old DA pad and some autosol and its turned up lovely, i don't know how long it will stay like this but oh well.

F783B4F1-7E53-4A6F-B2F0-29C72E68D38C_zpsu7mvuw6v.jpg

51FF23F6-C088-47BA-8743-0DD732C037B6_zpsxd1sgme7.jpg

28F30D66-1F73-4BB1-AB84-74E5A64BEB0A_zpsz4eoak85.jpg

AC54146F-E154-4D91-9D84-F1E87B4B047E_zpsmamiuflc.jpg

FF78A1EC-8D48-4AEA-AE2D-71F4300479A4_zpshcenzyee.jpg

1C00D49B-00DB-4430-B334-4EFDAC042047_zpsujfoznxk.jpg

Thanks

It's never simple. It just looks like that in the progress threads when browsing the forums. But in real life - there are always some issues that need taking care of. :wink:

Reactions: Dumdum