Time attack 2014 - Options?

I shall be entering the TimeAttack series in 2014, and I'm now in the process of choosing the car.

I'm considering 3 options:
- Supercharge my 197 and race that in the Club FWD
- Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000 tuned in Club AWD
- Mitsubishi Evo V tuned in Club AWD

The cheapest and easiest option would be to modify my 197, but I don't want to make it unreliable as its my daily. But it would be awesome to come in with a daily and blow the competition out, as the Clios (as we all know) can keep up with ALOT as standard! Haha

The Evo and the Scooby would be dedicated track cars, but to get them up to a standard where they would even get a look in, I'm looking at 400bhp. Which is achievable, but at probably about £10k engine parts only.

So what would you do?
I don't want to enter any other series...this is the only one I'm interested in...

Will the car supercharged be reliable enough for a daily?
Would It be cost effective to modify a Scooby or Evo from standard to get anywhere near competitive?
What kind of figures do you think would be achievable from a 'charged Clio?
And what kind of weight could I get my car down to?

Cheers

With that sorta power a Megane 2.0T engine in the Clio would be more reliable over a supercharged one IMO.

What rounds you gonna do? I don't really think you could keep it as a daily if your gonna do them. Also, don't you need to install kill switches, fire extinguishers, cage etc?

It certainly ain't gonna be easy to do it but WayneVXR uses his Corsa VXR on some rounds of the TA and it's still his daily.

Whats your budget ?

Why not come along Saturday and take a look at whats there already .

This year will be mad .

i can tell you one thing just charging your 197 will leave you a million miles of the pace of club fwd . . .

we roll big :smile:

It certainly ain't gonna be easy to do it but WayneVXR uses his Corsa VXR on some rounds of the TA and it's still his daily.

he did one round , he did not drive and the stickers he has are 2 years old !

Id say first year including tyres purchasing car running it teams wages etc etc front club class budget to be competitive would be

£40,000.00 Supra cupra ( sealed engine sort )
£10,000.00 spares package DSg box wheels ( they have 3 suspension options soft med and hard )
£4000.00 on 360bhp upgrade pack
£2000.00 entry fees
£8000.00 tyres this year is free tyre choice in club fwd so can be £1000.00 a round to keep them fresh .
£5000.00 teams wages ( people who know what they are doing ! )
£2000.00 faults through the year
£10000.00 fuel , hotels , spares brakes etc etc

so id say £70,000.00 -£80,000.00 first year + all clothing needed etc .

probally THE VERY cheapest you are going to do it to compete and be competitive

Budget will be around £10k ish for the clio.
Not including entry, fuel, tyres etc

I don't think it would be miles off tbf,

Bo only runs around 400bhp in his Astra, and that's heavier than the Clio and not as good at handling.
I think a 360bhp in a charged clio, with the weight and the extra speed in the corners would be a very good match up!
Wayne's Corsa was only a second off Bo's, and he had about 100bhp less!

I'm also considering taking 2years to prep etc, and doing a couple of OHW's at Anglesey say, then keep building over Xmas, and enter in 2015?

Id say first year including tyres purchasing car running it teams wages etc etc front club class budget to be competitive would be

£40,000.00 Supra cupra ( sealed engine sort )
£10,000.00 spares package DSg box wheels ( they have 3 suspension options soft med and hard )
£4000.00 on 360bhp upgrade pack
£2000.00 entry fees
£8000.00 tyres this year is free tyre choice in club fwd so can be £1000.00 a round to keep them fresh .
£5000.00 teams wages ( people who know what they are doing ! )
£2000.00 faults through the year
£10000.00 fuel , hotels , spares brakes etc etc

so id say £70,000.00 -£80,000.00 first year + all clothing needed etc .

probally THE VERY cheapest you are going to do it to compete and be competitive

This is what ruins timeattack for everyone.....you should be in pro for that!

You'll be right mate, start off at the bottom with low expectations and build your way up as you gain experience. No point building a monster if you can't control it. Not saying you can't drive, just saying that you should ease into it.

I'm part of a team at the moment that's going to be running an A4 next season and maybe at a round this year too. It'll be ~650BHP and ~1200KG, but obviously that'll be in a different class to what you'd be in if you chose to go with the Clio. The car is currently 3/4 of the way built, admittedly I'm mainly and advice/technical bitch but I will be getting my hands dirty once the testing begins. It's all self-built too.

Best of luck with it! Anything Jap and AWD will be a good starting block as mods are readily available and they've been done to death so there's a lot of knowledge out there.

Just step back an look around though, A4 Quattros can be had very cheap. :wink:

Similar Thread Suggestions