To sell or not to sell

not sure as I have a 197 so dont know about you 200 guys :tearsofjoy:

now on a more serious note,you will regret it mate..you have put the car into a such nick that most of us should be really envious..
it's up to you obviously but you will find yourself in a situation (let's say in a few years time) when you will want one again..
think if you keep it and keep it sweet,it will gain on price and uniqueness..

hope it makes sense

Don’t sell it mate!

My dad has his motorbike in the garage undid for about 5 years. He knows if he sells it he probably won’t get another one!

Reactions: kevlar
The time always comes to move cars on.

I had a facelift EP3 Type R that I had as a garage queen, kept it mint and sold it back in 2012.
Would be worth as much now as when I sold it then. The car was an 05 plate and its still only got 75k now.

Overlapping that car, I had a RB182 Cup, 05 plate.
Kept that for 5 years, minted it, loved it, but it was actually the mrs's car. A daily driver.
She loved it but it got to 10yr old and she was going to be doing a bit more driving at the time and bought something a lot newer with less miles.
We sold that private within an hour, for £3k, and I'm sure that also would fetch that much now.
The guy who bought it said it was going to be a daily driver for him and his mrs.
But the MOT history shows that its only done about 1200miles in 3 years.

The mrs has got the MINI thing out her system and now has the LY200 that she's hankered after, ever since she sold the Cup.
I've got the Porsche which I've wanted for years, and the mrs said damn it, its got two seats, who cares, just buy it!
You're only here once she said.

I sort of think both the cars are going to be collectible, and more desirable in the future.
Naturally aspirated 4 pot hot hatch, and a proper flat six.

Keepers....for a while at least...

Reactions: Jimmy
Keep. Keep. Keep.

It's an absolute belter of an example Kev, great spec too and I for one am very, very jealous..

The price of them is crashing too at the moment, I think it's most definitely the wrong time, if you are set on it, I'd wait until Feb/March when people are going to start looking for "summer" cars..

But please, for the sake of this forum, don't do it!!

fillion1.gif

Keep. Keep. Keep.

It's an absolute belter of an example Kev, great spec too and I for one am very, very jealous..

The price of them is crashing too at the moment, I think it's most definitely the wrong time, if you are set on it, I'd wait until Feb/March when people are going to start looking for "summer" cars..

But please, for the sake of this forum, don't do it!!

View attachment 116451

Yeh it wouldnt be yet if i did advertise it, we will see - start saving you can buy it :blackdiamond:

Reactions: Benno
The time always comes to move cars on.

I had a facelift EP3 Type R that I had as a garage queen, kept it mint and sold it back in 2012.
Would be worth as much now as when I sold it then. The car was an 05 plate and its still only got 75k now.

Overlapping that car, I had a RB182 Cup, 05 plate.
Kept that for 5 years, minted it, loved it, but it was actually the mrs's car. A daily driver.
She loved it but it got to 10yr old and she was going to be doing a bit more driving at the time and bought something a lot newer with less miles.
We sold that private within an hour, for £3k, and I'm sure that also would fetch that much now.
The guy who bought it said it was going to be a daily driver for him and his mrs.
But the MOT history shows that its only done about 1200miles in 3 years.

The mrs has got the MINI thing out her system and now has the LY200 that she's hankered after, ever since she sold the Cup.
I've got the Porsche which I've wanted for years, and the mrs said damn it, its got two seats, who cares, just buy it!
You're only here once she said.

I sort of think both the cars are going to be collectible, and more desirable in the future.
Naturally aspirated 4 pot hot hatch, and a proper flat six.

Keepers....for a while at least...

Ive had many cars and yes agree were only here once - im lucky to have owned some cars i really wanted, perhaps im just over having a fun car?!

not sure as I have a 197 so dont know about you 200 guys :tearsofjoy:

now on a more serious note,you will regret it mate..you have put the car into a such nick that most of us should be really envious..
it's up to you obviously but you will find yourself in a situation (let's say in a few years time) when you will want one again..
think if you keep it and keep it sweet,it will gain on price and uniqueness..

hope it makes sense

This has been on my mind, but will it go up in value? im not sure they will?

I've had 15 odd cars and way over 30 bikes in my time. I dont hold alot of sentimental value with vehicles as such when the time comes. And life is short......

So IMO: if you have any hankering over wanting another / a different vehicle (maybe not now....but in the near future perhaps): Then do it. There will always be another 200 available if you wanna turn the clocks back.

BUT: if you're doing it because it crossed your mind once and you're really not sure as yet; then hold fire until you are sure. Its alot of effort to go to; to then change your mind later down the line......let alone finding one you know is sorted and 100%.

Ive turned the clock back many times on cars...this one included...ermmmm yes!

I dunno maybe im just over having a fun car?...who knows!

The price of them is crashing too at the moment

See I’d kinda disagree with this.

At the lower end of early / poorly spec’d and or higher mileage 200’s - the lines between a decent late 197 and a 200 are for sure blurring. And you can get an ‘ok’ 200 for sub £4K.

Early / higher miles etc 197’s are sub 2k as I’m sure we’ve all seen.

But good, late 200’s with less than 50k are still selling (Forget asking prices) for £6.5k right up to £8.5k for a really low mile (Sub 40k) AG or LY etc. A late, mint Raider, Silverstone or perhaps Gordini even more.....certainly in terms of asking prices. Like anything in life - the sought after examples always hold their value better.

Even we buy any car valued mine with 40k at nearly £6k a few months ago when we had a thread here on values people were being given.....

At the lower end of early / poorly spec’d and or higher mileage 200’s - the lines between a decent late 197 and a 200 are for sure blurring. And you can get an ‘ok’ 200 for sub £4K.

But good, late 200’s with less than 50k are still selling (Forget asking prices) for £6.5k right up to £8.5k for a really low mile (Sub 40k) AG or LY etc. A late, mint Raider, Silverstone or perhaps Gordini even more.....certainly in terms of asking prices. Like anything in life - the sought after examples always hold their value better.

Even we buy any car valued mine with 40k at nearly £6k a few months ago when we had a thread here on values people were being given.....

Wow. Fair enough, in which case I retract my previous comment...

I suppose when you look further into second hand sales on eBay and Facebook, most of them do come into the "rough and ready" category rather than low mileage, clean and standard examples..

Yeh it wouldnt be yet if i did advertise it, we will see - start saving you can buy it :blackdiamond:

Christ don't start saying things like that, you'll be spying on me seeing if I've cleaned it :wink:

Would be absolute blasphemy driving that how I drive mine...either that or as part of the deal you'd have to chuck in an intensive course of detailing lessons..:excited:

Difficult with cars selling etc, people buying sometimes cant get past the price for a mint loved example being 1k more than a ruff example, i know ben had his ag monster up for about £11k and couldnt sell it, if i was in the market i would have paid more to have a cared for example - I think its easy for people to over look good ones, its easy to look on autotrader to see one for 6k, but how good will it be?...

Christ don't start saying things like that, you'll be spying on me seeing if I've cleaned it :wink:

Would be absolute blasphemy driving that how I drive mine...either that or as part of the deal you'd have to chuck in an intensive course of detailing lessons..:excited:

Sold when you collecting it :good:- made me smile when i sold my focus rs many moons ago, the guy who bought it commented how nice it was kept ended up giving him my shampoo i used at the time...so yeh some detailing lessons can be thrown in, i did machine polish it a short while ago and its protected Gyeon mohs so its good for 2 years - easy to top up and easy to clean to....

Reactions: Benno
Sold when you collecting it :good:- made me smile when i sold my focus rs many moons ago, the guy who bought it commented how nice it was kept ended up giving him my shampoo i used at the time...so yeh some detailing lessons can be thrown in, i did machine polish it a short while ago and its protected Gyeon mohs so its good for 2 years - easy to top up and easy to clean to....

I'm not looking at this or any pictures of your car for the forseeable, it will only end up one way and by the end of the year I will own two Clios.................

......but oh my god it's so bloody tempting.

Reactions: kevlar
Difficult with cars selling etc, people buying sometimes cant get past the price for a mint loved example being 1k more than a ruff example, i know ben had his ag monster up for about £11k and couldnt sell it, if i was in the market i would have paid more to have a cared for example - I think its easy for people to over look good ones, its easy to look on autotrader to see one for 6k, but how good will it be?...

I’ve never had any trouble selling what I would consider a better example of things. At a higher premium too.

In fact I’ve sold at least two bikes - where buyers have come, seen the vehicle in an immaculate garage with a raft of toolboxes, learned I’m an Engineer by trade and wanted to pay me there and then without even hearing the bike started ! One of which I forced the buyer to hear running if he wanted to or not....

Just saying - there are folk out there wanting the best and willing to pay for that.

And the person, house, spiel and presentation of course all help to attain these prices if the potential buyer feels at ease about the transaction.

But your not selling anyway so that don’t matter :smile:

Reactions: Cossers and Benno
I wouldn't sell it unless you have something lined up to replace it.

It will leave a very big hole...

P.s. No such thing as 'getting over having a fun car'....

I’ve never had any trouble selling what I would consider a better example of things. At a higher premium too.

In fact I’ve sold at least two bikes - where buyers have come, seen the vehicle in an immaculate garage with a raft of toolboxes, learned I’m an Engineer by trade and wanted to pay me there and then without even hearing the bike started ! One of which I forced the buyer to hear running if he wanted to or not....

Just saying - there are folk out there wanting the best and willing to pay for that.

And the person, house, spiel and presentation of course all help to attain these prices if the potential buyer feels at ease about the transaction.

But your not selling anyway so that don’t matter :smile:

Totally agree with this, never had an issue with selling anything as it's always mint and always get more than they are going for! My r1 I sold 3 years back got 2k more than the next cheapest! Saying that I owned it from new.

I think the gulf between good 197/200 and bad ones will start to show over the next few years, seen a 42k F1 on pistonheads looking 7.4k at the mo! Crappy ones are going to be 3k less, it's a one owner car but looking closely at the pics I'd say mine is cleaner, don't think anyone can appreate how well john actually kept this car tbh!

I had a supra for 14 years and the r1 13 years, held on to them for tooo long, thought I would never part with them, best thing I ever did tbh, real physiological barrier broken with those sales, everything got easier after that, found a total nut and bolt rebuild TVR Griffith, nec show car! I knew I would never find another one but sold it after a couple of years! Tooo many cars out there to try :smile: to just keep the same ones for years thinking that's it's irreplaceable or something special your just kidding yourself and not seeing the woods for the trees (unless it's a muira sv)

Sell up and move on mate, your thinking it for a reason! Something new and shiny to play with :smile:

On my to own list is a gt4, gt3 and 350 exige, which if god spares me I'll have inside the next 5 years, its will be one at a time so all will have to come and go, saying that, I think the little r27 will make a great second car for a long time to come!

Last edited:
I wouldn't sell it unless you have something lined up to replace it.

It will leave a very big hole...

P.s. No such thing as 'getting over having a fun car'....

Ive been a lucky chap I have had a few fun cars, im just really thinking do i really, really need it...the only hole left will be in the garage then the wife will use that...dohhh.

Totally agree with this, never had an issue with selling anything as it's always mint and always get more than they are going for! My r1 I sold 3 years back got 2k more than the next cheapest! Saying that I owned it from new.

I think the gulf between good 197/200 and bad ones will start to show over the next few years, seen a 42k F1 on pistonheads looking 7.4k at the mo! Crappy ones are going to be 3k less, it's a one owner car but looking closely at the pics I'd say mine is cleaner, don't think anyone can appreate how well john actually kept this car tbh!

I had a supra for 14 years and the r1 13 years, held on to them for tooo long, thought I would never part with them, best thing I ever did tbh, real physiological barrier broken with those sales, everything got easier after that, found a total nut and bolt rebuild TVR Griffith, nec show car! I knew I would never find another one but sold it after a couple of years! Tooo many cars out there to try :smile: to just keep the same ones for years thinking that's it's irreplaceable or something special your just kidding yourself and not seeing the woods for the trees (unless it's a muira sv)

Sell up and move on mate, your thinking it for a reason! Something new and shiny to play with :smile:

On my to own list is a gt4, gt3 and 350 exige, which if god spares me I'll have inside the next 5 years, its will be one at a time so all will have to come and go, saying that, I think the little r27 will make a great second car for a long time to come!

You have to tick some boxs in life and ive been lucky to have owned some of my box ticking cars, having had an elise or 2 in my past thats a hard one to shake off, just really got under my skin as did the RS family to be fair...