Traction control

Do you have yours on or off? I have mine on for day to day driving but if it's dry and I'm on a nice road or I need to pull out of a junction with speed then I turn it off, hate it when u accelerate and the revs bog down when it's on, makes u look like a **** driver lol

...leave mine on all the time as I turned it off once and nearly crashed into a motorbike coming the otherway.....but I might get the confidence to try again one day!!

Depends on the situation and my mood really. Like you say it is so annoying when the revs bog down coming away from lights, for half a second the chav in the nova thinks he is winning lol! :001_rolleyes:

TBH I have had it off in the wet a few times I think the car feels slightly more stable and predictable. I have always been of the impression that TCS isn't there to save you when thinks go wrong, it just tries to prevent it. If you go into a corner way too fast its going to be useless.

Depends on the situation and my mood really. Like you say it is so annoying when the revs bog down coming away from lights, for half a second the chav in the nova thinks he is winning lol! :001_rolleyes:

TBH I have had it off in the wet a few times I think the car feels slightly more stable and predictable. I have always been of the impression that TCS isn't there to save you when thinks go wrong, it just tries to prevent it. If you go into a corner way too fast its going to be useless.

I totally agree

That traction control does two things: 1. cuts the gas when the front wheels slip (usually during a turn but also when launching). That you can do yourself. 2. Tries to prevent oversteer by braking one or more wheels separately, and that you can never do yourself (there are other methods of recovering from oversteer but they might not be applicable/possible always).

On public road I drive almost always with controls on, especially when giving it the beans on back roads because you just can never known when you'll encounter an oil/gravel patch or be forced to maneuver in way that will throw the car totally off balance due to some obstacle. Controls can make a definite difference between a "holy %@$$ what was that moment" and totaling the car. You CAN drive without it, the same way you can turn off your ABS or run summer tyres in the winter, but it increases the chances things will go wrong drastically.

I usually only turn it off during launches or during track days.

TBH I have had it off in the wet a few times I think the car feels slightly more stable and predictable.
Very true. The abrupt gas cuts really hurt the car's balance.

I never put it off now after a little thing that happened going up the 1/4 mile while resulted in me getting my arse kicked by Claireeyy's old VTR.

leave it on along with the esp - justed learned to drive round its throttle limiting stiuations at times but its not that intrusive

I went to Wales about a month ago and spent all my time bombing round the glorious roads of North wales. kept it turned on and it not once interuppted my drive. IMO if your lighting up the TC light on the road you're doing something wrong.

Come on guys...you have to turn it off on the b-roads..whats the point of going ultra grip-fast without having an opponent or a chronometer??

You can't appreciate the 197's great balance without making it go sideways..(Not only lift-off oversteer but also tail kick-out during braking :thumbup:smile:

P.S. There are some virtues that the 197 can't show on a regular track...but only on the twisties(and up and downs)...

Me to foxspeed.

Dont get me wrong guys, I'm not saying I never see the TC light, but on the rare occasion I have, I know its just saved my ass.

i still get oversteer and a skippy rear end even with the tc & esp on :thumbup1:

same here, if you go into a corner fast and smooth you can feel the car slide slightly without the traction control interrupting, but if you throw it in the traction control goes mental.

IMO if your lighting up the TC light on the road you're doing something wrong.

I think you bought the wrong car

I always have it off.... love controlled slides in roundabouts or launching the car at signal lights with perfect pedal control, rather than with computer assistance

exiting tight curves with the front wheels loosing grip while powering in 2nd gear is also not possible with TCS on

and what could be more rewarding than 1st to 2nd gear short wheel spins?

I keep mine on all the time, my talent would run out long before the cars safety devices and theres no additional kudos to be earned from turning these off.

put it off now and then although once lastyear i lost it on a bend with some dirt on the road going 70-80 mph and there is no way in hell id have got it back the way and as quickly as the tc did,really think the time i caught the back if i did manage to id be close to the kerb on the other side of the road.

I don't turn mine off in day to day conmuting, as I don't feel like it should be. I don't know you guys, but my car is used as a daily driver, and doesn't need the TC off.

Is not too intrusive, it's predictable (you know when is going to kick in and how would thae car react), and if you find some problem on the road, going 80 miles an hour, I bet you don't want the car to go sideways, and for sure is going to react 100 times better is those situations you don't expect, even if you were Mr. Ragnotti. It's a computer, and thinks faster than us.

Is controlled situations is another matter. On track, I've seen differences of 2-3 seconds per lap, as when going really fast, the TC doesn't know how to react. And the hazard lights keep coming on when you brake hard (really anoying).

Although, the car w/o the TC reacts like it has disconnected only part of the TC, but it could be just the cahssis, that it behaves that well, but I always had that feeling.

Everyone can do with their cars whatever they want, but my advice is to keep TC on unless you are going to be fast and you are prepared for the reactions of the car.