Tyres.....what you using

Just an idea...sorry if its already been done, but a thread listing the tyres you use and why you use them. Its that time again when Ive got the First MOT, and Im in need of a few tyres.

After the help of Russ and Steburns I think ive come to a conclusion.
So...no matter how cheap or expensive....what have you gone for ?

Personaly I cant justify the cost of Conti sport 3s at the rate they wear.

"Conti sport 3s at the rate they wear"

I thought they were good regarding wear.

Tyres are the single most important thing keeping your car on the road.
Exalto 2 are an amazing tyre but more expensive than Conti 3's

bar a track day tyre the 2 above are the only road tyres I would fit to a Clio.

contisport contact 3's, just bought 2 new ones (being fitted saturday) as the fronts are shot after 5000 miles (previous owner not me :tongueout: ) i'm hoping that when driven sensibly they'll last atleast 15,000 miles

Got Conti's on the front, and Goodyear Eagle F1's on the back! I'm loving the grip from the F1's, amazing in the wet, and they're actually 225's on the back, 215 standards on the front till they wear out!

Heard good things about Vrederstein's... IIRC richandgem has them on his?

Conti 3's on one set of wheels came with the car and had two sets on my old 197. I think the perform well on the road and are very predictable. Road noise isn't an issue though the edges and wall of them are a bit soft.

R888's on another, mainly for the track days I attened. I use them in both wet and dry. The response is sharpened a lot, turn in is crisper, the feel is vastly improved. The road noise is terrible at 30mph and bellow, especially when your slowing down. I clench when I see standing water :blush:hmy: and the wear rate is ok for me. I've done 3.8k on them and just had the rights and lefts swapped over (direction tyres) as the lefts were vastly outwearing the rights, I had that swap because of that and...the price :lol:

Last edited:
Conti all the way around.

Recently just had two new front tyres fitted, before they were fitted I was finding I was sliding around allot and did not have the grip so was not pushing the car very hard as I did not have any confidence in it.

So was thinking about changing to a different brand, changed the two fronts at 2.3mm and the difference is amazing.

Where before in the wet I would be sliding now the cars back to its good old self, of no matter how hard I push I can’t make it step out, unless I try and go around a roundabout at 50 lol :-p

I tried the Hankook's on the recommendation of a tyre expert on MeganeSport and all I can say is that he knows his stuff!

Bizarrely, my R26 has four on it and they are exceptional on this too.

I've never seen a 197 driven harder than Ste does his and the grip he gets out of the Hankook's is nothing short of incredible, as was their performance at Oulton recently.

For £65 a corner, with 15000 miles realistic miles out of them, they are a no brainer.

Don't just take my word for it...

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2009-Auto-Zeitung-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

I tried the Hankook's on the recommendation of a tyre expert on MeganeSport and all I can say is that he knows his stuff

Remember you mentioning these when I picked up the HID's from you, I'm due some soon so think I'm gonna try them out! £134 delivered from camskill can't be bad!

Still on Conti's but as the fronts are getting too close to the markers, it'll be getting 4 F1 Asymmetric's next month.

I just don't think anything of the Conti's in British weather conditions.

I got Falken, don't know which tyoe. But it was the best price/quality option, according some tests on the internet.

I got Falken, don't know which tyoe. But it was the best price/quality option, according some tests on the internet.

Yeah...these were my 2nd option, same price as the Hankooks on camskill, the Falken FK452's. I quite rate Falken
6204-6034-main--443.jpg

Last edited:
I'd offer to buy the Hankook's off you if you didn't like them, but they won't fit anymore! Lol!

I'm sure Ste will take you out in his at some point if you can make it over to Cannock?

He's tried Toyo's, Conti's, Kumho's and Hankook's. Most people dismiss Hankook because of the brand, but Toyo was in the same position a good 5 years ago - nobody had heard of them, they make a killer tyre (T1S) then they shot to fame!

Trust me Will :smile:

I'd offer to buy the Hankook's off you if you didn't like them, but they won't fit anymore! Lol!

I'm sure Ste will take you out in his at some point if you can make it over to Cannock?

He's tried Toyo's, Conti's, Kumho's and Hankook's. Most people dismiss Hankook because of the brand, but Toyo was in the same position a good 5 years ago - nobody had heard of them, they make a killer tyre (T1S) then they shot to fame!

Trust me Will :smile:

I trust ya russ, I dunno if I trust Stes driving though :wink:

I ordered the Hankooks yesterday, but now Camskill have come back to me saying
They arnt in Stock and no Due delivery date! Nooooooo!! :@

Gutted! This is the problem - everyone is buying them now! When I got them they were £58 delivered... I guess the price will keep going up :worried:

Jeffries Tyres in Bromsgrove price match them, but that may be a bit far for you to go?

same problem i had when i was going to get them! out of stock everyware!!
iv just picked up a set of 4 conti 3's with 95 miles on for £200 : )

Gutted! This is the problem - everyone is buying them now! When I got them they were £58 delivered... I guess the price will keep going up :worried:

Jeffries Tyres in Bromsgrove price match them, but that may be a bit far for you to go?

Yeah it probably is a bit far.

With the difference in fuel the 197 uses to get there, I could get them delivered from somwhere else