Warranty isssues..Recaro seat faults - help!!

Hi
Can anyone help with issues i have re the excessive wear on the Recaro seat bolster ( mainly drivers side) that i have experienced on my 59' plate Clio cup?

I have heard that these can be a problem and i have reaised the issue with my local Renault dealer but they are stating that it isn't a warranty issue because its ' wear and tear' ! bearing in mind my car has only covered 14thou...

The lastest from them is that they will 'repair' it on the basis of 'good will' and not under warranty, which leads me to a couple of questions you guys may be able to helps me with: Can it be repaired to look factory or as i suspect is this a cheap way of getting out of having to replace the whole seat?

Any others owners out there had or having the same problems??

Also another problem i have with the car is both side windows will have to be removed - they are bonded in!! to replace the seal that closes the gap betwwen the door frame and window that has disintegrated - not really very happy bunny that these windows will have to be removed to say the least..

Great car tho....grrrrr:thumbup:

So please help if you can , thanks in advance

ps See you at Oulton if you're going ...

Problem 1: They are just trying to get out of it. Get on their backs and tell them that if they don't see about getting them replaced under warranty you will go to Renault UK. Just tell them you are on the Renaultsport.co.uk forum and on another clio enthusiast site (this one) and there have been numeous members that have had their Recaros replaced under warranty.

I had both my Recaros replaced at 26k just before my 3 year warranty expired no problems with no arguments. The only issue being they didn't put them in correctly but i fixed that myself. They did only replace the cover of the seat (the cover and foam under it).

Problem 2: I had this also.. Renault pulled out the old ones somehow (i don't think they had to remove the windows), and replaced them with an alternative which just slide into place and are glued in. They did fall out 3 days later but got replaced once again and *touch wood* have never fallen out since.

While your at warranty work, if the right lip of your glove box is sagging get them to replace that also. And finally if you have the 'kangaroo effect' while the car is cold get them to sort that out also. :smile:

Hope this helps.

if i were you mate, head to your local dealer and do all the usual "im not happy" stuff.
If you have no luck, try the next "closest" dealer and keep going till one agrees to do it for you. "gesture of goodwill" sounds like it could go either way.

Each dealer seems to have a different view of it. Personally a re-trim on the seats in leather is probably the best bet to stop it (prevention better than the cure and all that stuff).

The seals go on everyone mate simple to buy and fit yourself as for recaros there's loads have been done and I think the good will gesture is the best you can hope for.Have you gone through Ren UK???

The seals go on everyone mate simple to buy and fit yourself as for recaros there's loads have been done and I think the good will gesture is the best you can hope for.Have you gone through Ren UK???

Yes mate, it got ' escalated' to Ren uk after i said i wasn't happy...tbh they have been really helpful but i don't wanna be fobbed off with a cheap n easy fix for them because i'll just think its been a bodge job and i won't be happy - i'm gutted because i love the car!

Problem 1: They are just trying to get out of it. Get on their backs and tell them that if they don't see about getting them replaced under warranty you will go to Renault UK. Just tell them you are on the Renaultsport.co.uk forum and on another clio enthusiast site (this one) and there have been numeous members that have had their Recaros replaced under warranty.

I had both my Recaros replaced at 26k just before my 3 year warranty expired no problems with no arguments. The only issue being they didn't put them in correctly but i fixed that myself. They did only replace the cover of the seat (the cover and foam under it).

Problem 2: I had this also.. Renault pulled out the old ones somehow (i don't think they had to remove the windows), and replaced them with an alternative which just slide into place and are glued in. They did fall out 3 days later but got replaced once again and *touch wood* have never fallen out since.

While your at warranty work, if the right lip of your glove box is sagging get them to replace that also. And finally if you have the 'kangaroo effect' while the car is cold get them to sort that out also. :smile:

Hope this helps.

Cheers mate, christ its like we're talking about the same car, glove box sagging, kangaroo effect on cold etc jeezus

Yes i have told them i'm on the forums and to be fair they have been helpful but i'm just aware that they might try and just fix it up on the cheap as obviously this has been expensive for them, i'm concerned that the new 'covers' they have agreed to will not look as they should...

If the windows could be fixed without having to rip them out then i'd be much happier, maybe a good DIY fix could be the solution..

Thanks for the advice

Cheers mate, christ its like we're talking about the same car, glove box sagging, kangaroo effect on cold etc jeezus

Yes i have told them i'm on the forums and to be fair they have been helpful but i'm just aware that they might try and just fix it up on the cheap as obviously this has been expensive for them, i'm concerned that the new 'covers' they have agreed to will not look as they should...

If the windows could be fixed without having to rip them out then i'd be much happier, maybe a good DIY fix could be the solution..

Thanks for the advice

No worries i went through the exact same issues about a year ago.

But yeah try and get it all fixed and if they don't replace everything properly just say you will take it to RUK and they soon start answering. Just don't take no or half jobs as an answer.

Regarding your Recaros you should get them both replaced, i got both of mines replaced with no issues. And the door seals were done with no arguments as mines were like cheese strings! And i'm quite happy now :smile:

Renault do not want to replace seats/covers for wear and tear if they can help it... and it's annoying.

I was told this by more than one person at Renault (That's Ren UK, Renault Warranty and the dealer) - that they are now getting tighter on what they replace and every seat is inspected first.

If anyone has managed to get a whole seat replaced you have done well!

I had wear problems on my FF seats in my cup packed 200.

The foam had split and the seat base cover was not fitting the seat properly.

I started with the dealer who submitted pictures I had taken to Warranty - baring in mind the car was only 18 months old and had 6k on the clock.

I was told I didn't stand much chance even though I pointed out the part (the seat cover/foam) was broken and should not be on such a low mileage car.

After a few frustrating conversations the service manager agreed to replace the foam base and cover with them incurring the cost and they would then battle it out with Renault warranty later - I made it clear I was not going to be calling Renault UK/Warranty yet again as I had already spent 3 months on the phone to them about headlights.

My advice would be take plenty of photographs, point out the low mileage and say that they are actually broken (which they are, not just asthetically unsightly)

For the full thread on my issue check here
http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16721

As for the window seals - if is the seal on the B post that is a wind seal on the rear window these are replacable without the windows coming out.

They pull out easy - but make sure you clean out all the old glue/residue before fitting new ones. Also you need to make a decent tool to refit new ones to do a decent job.

My guide on my old thread is here if that helps
http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14892&page=2

I took my car into local renault dealer last weds to have pics taken of worn recaro, leaking damper and some blisters on tailgate and was told it could take a week to get an answer.

Popped in there today as was passing and my seat cover was in stock, she made a phone call to find the damper was also in stock so it's booked in monday to have those two jobs sorted.

Well done bristol street motors, it was the co-op before, same staff. :jase:

The window seals are an easy job, DON'T LET THEM TAKE THE WINDOWS OUT!

I replaced mine when i bought the car, they fell off a couple of days later. However 5 minutes with some evostick contact adhesive and they've stayed on perfectly!

Oh, and with the seats, they can be repaired very well. Mine is booked it with Steve @ R Sport cars in a couple of weeks to have the passenger one repaired.

Take a look at one of his threads about repairs and you'll see how well they can be repaired.

As people have said keep on at RUK and they will sort the seats. Had both mine done about 3 months ago.. Drivers side has started to wear again already!! Next seats I get will be leather.

The window seals are an easy job, DON'T LET THEM TAKE THE WINDOWS OUT!

I replaced mine when i bought the car, they fell off a couple of days later. However 5 minutes with some evostick contact adhesive and they've stayed on perfectly!

Hi mate. I thought about bonding them in when replacing mine...the trouble is though if the rubber splits and perishes again it would be a struggle to replace them and get all that evostick off even with some remover.

What I found is that you really need to get all the old glue and residue off with hot air and get the glass totally clean using spirits..then the New ones stick like super glue.

I took my car into local renault dealer last weds to have pics taken of worn recaro, leaking damper and some blisters on tailgate and was told it could take a week to get an answer.

Popped in there today as was passing and my seat cover was in stock, she made a phone call to find the damper was also in stock so it's booked in monday to have those two jobs sorted.

Well done bristol street motors, it was the co-op before, same staff. :jase:

I need to change my praise about the above.

Below i've copied my post from renaultsport.

I put a warranty claim in for a leaking rear damper, recaro just started to wear through and three blisters on my tailgate, spoke to this crap dealership at the begining of july but they could not book me in until the 24th july.

Took the car on the 24th for them to photograph the parts and was told i'd know in about a week, no phone calls a week later so i popped in (i was nearby) to be told, my seat had arrived, she made a phone call to find that my rear damper had also arrived so could i bring the car in on monday for the work to be done.

Took the car in yesterday morning and was told they'd call me later to sort out collecting car.

2.30pm they call to ask me what warrenty i have and to say they been sent the wrong seat part, a base not a back. like i say i thought this was to get more time.

Today i call to find out whats happening to be told they dont think my damper is covered by my renault warranty and they need to initiate a claim, after asking to speak to the manager several times she says she will try to get the damper sorted for me.

Half an hour later i get a call to say they can sort the damper but need to start a claim for the seat, what did i take the car in for on the 24th if they'd not done this allready?

I told them i wanted the car back for 1.30 no matter what and i had to walk the 6 miles to the dealership.

Whilst walking there i get a call from the manager to say he's made a claim for the seat and will see me when i get there. 2 hours to walk there.

When i 'm there i was given a number to call at renault customer services to help get the seat sorted. i spoke to the manager who only appologised but said he would be speaking to those involved. i collected my keys walked out to the car and looked underneath.

Only to find THEY'VE FITTED THE WRONG DAMPER, this one only has an orange sticker, no green marking denoting the cup damper, back inside to tell them and she says they've ordered from my chassis number so it must be right, all the other dampers have orange AND green markings.

The manager bought out the old damper in the new box, showed me the part number on my old damper and the part number on the box and thinks they are right.

So i have to drive home, at least the damper is no longer banging and have a 50 minute phone call to renault customer services to try and sort this mess out, only about a third of the story had been relayed to renalut so he was not impressed with that.

So there you are, mansfield renault, new owners, same useless staff.

Just a bit of an update on the jobs i've mentioned above: the seat is now fixed, after ALOT of negotiating and slightly heated telephone conversations we have reached an agreement where i pay 5% of the total cost of replacing the seat base £525 in total -eeeek ( full seat was £1009! ) Ren uk initially wanted me to pay 25% but i refused on the grounds the seat was not ' fit for purpose'
On the issue regarding the 'wind seals' on both door shuts , i opted not to have them done ( i have 6months to change my mind...) simply because i didn't want to have windows taken out, even though i spoke to Autoglass and they reassured me they had done loads

Anyway, overall...i'm happy, Ren uk were helpful ( altho i had to fight my corner) and the dealer ( Holdcroft Crewe) delivered imo AND did a great job of a full valet too - cheers

That's shocking mate ( no pun intended ) hope you got it all sorted out in the end - didn't they have a courtesy car for you to use?? i have had some bloody terrible service from dealerships over the years but this time, fingers crossed, it's worked out okay in the end.

I need to change my praise about the above.

Below i've copied my post from renaultsport.

I put a warranty claim in for a leaking rear damper, recaro just started to wear through and three blisters on my tailgate, spoke to this crap dealership at the begining of july but they could not book me in until the 24th july.

Took the car on the 24th for them to photograph the parts and was told i'd know in about a week, no phone calls a week later so i popped in (i was nearby) to be told, my seat had arrived, she made a phone call to find that my rear damper had also arrived so could i bring the car in on monday for the work to be done.

Took the car in yesterday morning and was told they'd call me later to sort out collecting car.

2.30pm they call to ask me what warrenty i have and to say they been sent the wrong seat part, a base not a back. like i say i thought this was to get more time.

Today i call to find out whats happening to be told they dont think my damper is covered by my renault warranty and they need to initiate a claim, after asking to speak to the manager several times she says she will try to get the damper sorted for me.

Half an hour later i get a call to say they can sort the damper but need to start a claim for the seat, what did i take the car in for on the 24th if they'd not done this allready?

I told them i wanted the car back for 1.30 no matter what and i had to walk the 6 miles to the dealership.

Whilst walking there i get a call from the manager to say he's made a claim for the seat and will see me when i get there. 2 hours to walk there.

When i 'm there i was given a number to call at renault customer services to help get the seat sorted. i spoke to the manager who only appologised but said he would be speaking to those involved. i collected my keys walked out to the car and looked underneath.

Only to find THEY'VE FITTED THE WRONG DAMPER, this one only has an orange sticker, no green marking denoting the cup damper, back inside to tell them and she says they've ordered from my chassis number so it must be right, all the other dampers have orange AND green markings.

The manager bought out the old damper in the new box, showed me the part number on my old damper and the part number on the box and thinks they are right.

So i have to drive home, at least the damper is no longer banging and have a 50 minute phone call to renault customer services to try and sort this mess out, only about a third of the story had been relayed to renalut so he was not impressed with that.

So there you are, mansfield renault, new owners, same useless staff.

On the issue regarding the 'wind seals' on both door shuts , i opted not to have them done ( i have 6months to change my mind...) simply because i didn't want to have windows taken out, even though i spoke to Autoglass and they reassured me they had done loads

Hi mate. If it's the seal(s) that sit on the rear glass/B post and the door shuts against to form a seal (just from wind noise) - you do not have to have the windows out to replace them.

I have mentioned this earlier but just want to reiterate as you mentioned about Autoglass taking windows out in a previous post??

Hi mate. If it's the seal(s) that sit on the rear glass/B post and the door shuts against to form a seal (just from wind noise) - you do not have to have the windows out to replace them.

I have mentioned this earlier but just want to reiterate as you mentioned about Autoglass taking windows out in a previous post??

Hi mate, yea Ren uk and local dealer were adamant the windows have to come out, they suggested i spoke to Autoglass which i did and they comfirmed that of the 'hundreds' they have done, the windows came out everytime...

Needless to say i wasn't happy with that so i'll have to seek an alternative route to fix the problem!

Cheers Pete

Hi mate, yea Ren uk and local dealer were adamant the windows have to come out, they suggested i spoke to Autoglass which i did and they comfirmed that of the 'hundreds' they have done, the windows came out everytime...

Needless to say i wasn't happy with that so i'll have to seek an alternative route to fix the problem!

Cheers Pete

Hi Pete. If it is the seals that stick on the rear window where the door closes they 100% don't need the windows out.

Renault dealers replace loads and use a special trim tool. I know because I know a few pple there. I also have seen the Renault documentation for replacing them.

I did mine myself and wrote a guide. It is a pain to do it properly as you have to get all the old glue off the glass to get the New ones to stick.

I would yet some quotes from other people as your Renault dealer and autoglass seem to be talking bollox.

Hope you yet it sorted . Do it your self. I'll find my guide that shows how to make your own trim tool.

Hi James
Yes thanks, think your guide would be helpful - cheers mate. The dealer and Autoglass were adamant about the removal of the side windows even when i pushed the subject that i had been told this isn't necessary i just got a negative... ho hum lol
Thanks for the advice