197 mileage thoughts

E

EC123

Hi there, long time lurker of the forum but first post so here goes. Posted on pistonheads but feel this May be a more appropriate place.

I'm on the hunt for a clio 197 and after a standard full fat spec.

There seems to be alot on offer and what looks like a buyers market, my question is how do they hold their mileage?

Alot of examples 60,000 + for around £4-£4.5k, are these a excellent bargain or a people getting rid of them for a reason? Also would you go for one? Or spend £6.5 for something with 25,000-35,000 miles.

Thanks

People are getting rid because of the high running and maintenance costs. 60k mileage is fine for a car that's 5/6 years old but don't expect the car to hold its value. Don't get me wrong, its a lot of car for the money, but unless you're getting an F1 or a top top spec Clio then it will depreciate. They've dropped really bad in the last couple of years. I think they'll probably just flatten out now though.

What's the budget?

Welcome, I posted on your PH thread, I was going to suggest checking on here but it seems you found it. You will definitely have any questions about a 197 answered on here. Good luck in your car shopping too.

Welcome to the site.

mileage is nothing on these engines, tbh I think you'd be better off buying one with mileage on, you know it's been used, the lower mileage ones will have just sat around for long durations, which would make me think seals/bearings etc will have dried out.

Buying low mileage isn't always best IMO, I'd much rather have a higher mileage one will full service history.
You know it's been driven and enjoyed, not say around with low mileage because it's been in Renault having faults repaired all it's life. That's IMO.

I know people that are on 180,00 miles and still using them for track.

My 197 is on 60k miles and the engines is as good as it's was when I bought it on 38k. Main thing is that the service history is good and the cambelt has been changed. As important is to check the brakes haven't seized which they can do if you don't strip and clean them every year.

You won't get a bigger smile for the money.

I was concerned about my cars mileage before buying it, infact it was the reason I joined this forum for advice on the mileage.

My car is an 09 plate and has done just under 80k miles now.

The car drives perfectly and I wouldn't of known the difference if you had told me it had 20k miles.

Just make sure the service history is good and that the belts have been done if the cars done over 70k. IIRC the cambelt life is 72k, so if the cars getting close to this without the belt being done - Make sure the price reflects this - Its not a cheap job

Thanks a lot for the replies it has out me at ease quite a bit.

i haven't driven once since 2009 a family member bought one new in 2006 and I absolutely loved it, not looking to get into a loan on a car so if i can drop £5.5-£6k on a good runner for a couple years then I am more than happy.

I sold mine at 58k miles on an 07 plate, mechanically everything was still as good as new. I did look after it well though and it always had the best parts put on it. I'd have no problem buying a well looked after example with those sort of miles

As long as they're maintained well any engine should run and run within reason. I bought a full spec R27 just because I wanted all the extras, price was a bit higher than a standard but all things depreciate you just need to enjoy it.