205 GTI Project Thread

This is still alive just no pictures sorry :worried:

Quick update of whats been achieved over winter so far:

Engine stripped, inspected and unservicable parts replaced.
Gearbox, same as above.
Engine and box sprayed and laquered silver with VHT paints.
Engine and box refitted to vehicle with group N engine mounts.
Full coolant, vacuum and breather silicone hose kit fitted in black.
Alloy radiator fitted.
Damaged engine wiring loom from fire repaired and reconnected to vehicle.
Coilover suspension fitted at STD ride height.
New brake discs and pads at front.
New track rod ends fitted.
New front wheel bearings pressed into hub.

To be done:
Exhaust fitted.
Battery squeezed in between headlight and K&N filter.
Coolant filled up and bled.
TEST DRIVE!!!
Then to the bodyshop for respray :smiley:
Get some pics!!!

She starts too, direct off manifold so turn your volume down lol:
http://youtu.be/vMLLfPQRMvE

Last edited:
I've got an auto bonnet in my garage for one of those, IIRC its the same colour too but would need paint.

How much you looking for? :wink:

Not a lot, £15? i have to give up my garage soon so all will have to go.

If i know someone wants something i can keep it to one side, i just can't keep everything :blink:

I'm near J28 of M1 but i get about a bit :thumbsup:

A bit off topic, but I just noticed the clio on the drive in one of the first pictures. Isn't that the insane sleeper from ClioSport.net? :|

Will be a shame to see the project go unfisnished but if needs must then needs must tbh.

Would have been nice to see her finished but hey ho.

Just found this thread and what a cracking read and car. I wouldn't know where to start if I'm honest so cant fault yours efforts, you seem to really no your stuff. Such a shame you have to sell the car now though

Thanks lads, unfortunately life cant always be about cars and as i get older i find myself placing cars and my passion for them further down my priority list. It's heartbreaking to see it so close after many hours spent after work sweating over this and i honestly thought it'd be dony by this summer.

Anyway we can only hope it goes to a good home, its sooo close to being a classic!

Just seen this thread, top work Ben, well done.

I read your advert on PH, going to Australia? Are you keeping the 197?

Love these. Did the 16v head from the 405 not bolt on or was that just on the 1.9 block.

My neighbour had an mi16 converted 1.9 and that thing flew.

Just seen this thread, top work Ben, well done.

I read your advert on PH, going to Australia? Are you keeping the 197?

Most probaly mate but it will remain in the UK. It's still a long way off at the moment, just had my visa app accepted. Now either gotta get the misses accepted or just marry her lol!

Jason: the original idea was to restore it to near OEM spec with select items upgraded to discreetly improve performance. So the original head was ported and polished and had a compression raise via skimming. The car was respectably fast before I started doing it up, easily walking over my brothers tuned VTR and holding it's own against 1.9 versions all day long!

Nice one. Would love to have the bottle to emigrate tbh.

What do you do (For work) as your job must be on the "in demand list" as the Aussie's are renowned for being "selective" in who they let in.

HGV technician.

For myself personally I found the process quite easy. A separate 'middle man' company sorts all the paperwork out with Australia etc and then reports back to you, but they aren't cheap.

Still what's a few hundred now when I can be rolling around in a V8 holden manaro in a few years lol!

Similar Thread Suggestions