205 GTI Project Thread

Looking great mate. Got any more pictures of your missus?

Sorry, had to be done! Lol!

:lol:

Well over a month since any updates, im neglecting the old gurl. Honestly the whole summer show season has been so hectic this year i've been spending too much on the 197 ( as usual ). So put a few bob aside this month for the GTI and got some goodies.

DSC02350.jpg

10 piece silicone coolant hose kit to replace the old tired originals:
DSC02349.jpg

Oil breather silicone hose kit, to compliment the above:
DSC02348.jpg

Uprated engine mounts, old units were unservicable and originals are no longer avaliable:
DSC02347.jpg

And the intercooler for the 7psi turbo conversion im doing... Only joking, alloy radiator to replace OEM item. These cars are prone to overheating, this should help keep temps down:
DSC02345.jpg

I'll have them fitted asap, maybe next weekend for you all to see. Thanks for reading.

Okay projects really slowed down lately due to work commitments, so got the weekend to myself and managed to sort out the biggest problem, the tatty interior!

First things first, stripped the entire interior to see what im up against:
DSC02417.jpg

DSC02415.jpg

DSC02425.jpg

Unfortunately fair amounts of rust under the carpet:
DSC02431.jpg

DSC02421.jpg

DSC02422.jpg

DSC02419.jpg

So got the misses to sand down the area and apply a little kurust :tongueout::
DSC02420.jpg

DSC02451.jpg

DSC02452.jpg

And then my welder, aka brother, to come clean up and weld any weak areas:
DSC02427.jpg

This brought its own problems though, when a spark went down the steering column and set light to the engine, we struggled to get the bonnet popped in time and put it out quick enough. Wiring loom, new cambelt and bonnet all got ruined :worried::
DSC02449.jpg

DSC02455.jpg

Bad news mate. Sounds like it's going to be a pain. Stick at it though mate, you will have one great car when you have finished it.

Saw a totally rally prepared 205 GTi on a trailer on Saturday morning heading north up the M6 and thought about this project. Glad you have updated.

So anyway back to the interior, took the bright red carpet to get professionally steam cleaned, came out brand new. They even fixed some previous fag burns, result!:

DSC02435.jpg

DSC02460.jpg

Then got the new leather seats i aqquired earlier this year out of storage, a quick wipe over and they're ready to go, fitted and really make the interior look that little more complete. Now all i need is some dash trims and clocks etc and im not far off:
DSC02461.jpg

DSC02462.jpg

DSC02463.jpg

DSC02464.jpg

Also got to the scrappy early sunday to see what i could salvage, amongst a few random bits and bobs i found a gem. Genuine rear reflector panel, rare as hens teeth and excellent condition, all for £20!:
DSC02453.jpg

Thanks for reading. next time i'll be fitting the silicone hoses to the engine bay in a bid to get it started :smile:

Some big developements in this story lately, i keep forgetting to charge the digi cam so no pics though! I'll try get some tomorrow but the project has hopefully got some much needed momentum behind it. :smile:

Edit: Managed to find a few cheeky pics to give away an idea:

Trailer and van borrowed from work to get me there:
205gtipic1.jpg

A couple hours at the workshop later :wink::
205gtipic2.jpg

Last edited:
coming on well ben. just out of interest what do you do job wise? just with the combat shorts and the lock tight that has a nato stock number on it makes me think military or you have a friend that is.

coming on well ben. just out of interest what do you do job wise? just with the combat shorts and the lock tight that has a nato stock number on it makes me think military or you have a friend that is.

Used to be in the army mate for 6 years, i've been out nearly 2.

Unfortunately nothing quite as exciting as a 2 litre conversion :worried: I'm trying to keep it OEM classic so same engine will be going back in.

Similar Thread Suggestions